Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:14:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Successful timing attack on ECDSA - maybe it's already time to switch algorithms  (Read 3012 times)
Mononofu (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 01:14:45 PM

I just stumbled on this very interesting paper: http://eprint.iacr.org/2011/232.pdf

Basically, it's possible to calculate the private key from the timing of the responses, since multiplication depends on the size of the operands.

I don't think this attack is going to be used just now, but it is definitely a possibility. What do you think?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Mike Hearn
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1128

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 01:20:02 PM

I think it would be a concern if you could make a node sign transactions over and over again, in response to a request from yourself. It isn't possible today. If such a feature were to be added in future timing attacks would become a concern.

BitCoin uses OpenSSL so it will benefit from the researchers implemented countermeasures.
m0Ray

Activity: 868
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 01:22:51 PM

multiplication depends on the size of the operands.
TL;DR
What is multiplication time range?
Gavin Andresen
Legendary
qt

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
May 23, 2011, 02:29:28 PM

If I understood the paper correctly (I skimmed it very quickly), this is a timing attack that requires the attacker send a bunch of things to be signed with the same ECDSA private key.

The good news is it they also give a patch to OpenSSL to fix it.  The other good news is bitcoin only signs things with private keys when you send coins, and if you have the ability to ask bitcoin to send coins then we don't really care if you can get the private key.

We do have a patch in the "pull queue" that adds a RPC command to let bitcoin sign stuff ( https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/183 ), but, again assuming I read the paper correctly, even that doesn't worry me, since if you have the ability to run that RPC command you could either go through all the trouble of the timing attack to figure out the private key... or you could just issue a "send" command to steal all the bitcoins out of the wallet.

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
Mononofu (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 03:58:02 PM

You're right, the only way I see for this to work is if you are on the same physical network - either an old hub which broadcasts all packets or a WiFi network. (note that encryption doesn't always help - using WPA2-PSK it's trivial to decrypt transmission of other users)

However, WiFi alone might introduce enough randomness to foil this attack.
Mike Hearn
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1128

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 06:25:21 PM

Timing attacks aren't usually foiled by randomness, at least in theory, you just need more samples.

SSL is susceptible to this type of attack even over long distances because most servers won't limit the number of times you can try to set up a connection. You can just keep trying over and over until you have a huge number of samples, which average out to the right answer.
twobitcoins

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 06:59:18 PM

You could get Bitcoin to sign something with a private key that you don't control by requesting a withdrawal from an online wallet service or other site that holds bitcoins for users.

With repeated deposits and withdrawals, it is at least plausible that such a site could be vulnerable.
ByteCoin
expert

Activity: 416
Merit: 277

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 07:45:49 PM

You could also launch a differential power analysis attack on the site by sending a carefully crafted flood of transactions and correlating it with the fluctuations in the share price of the local electricity company.

Because of the lack of reuse of keys, the number of signatures that are likely to be generated with a particular private key is small. This would make any remote timing attacks hard even when all other conditions are ideal.

The key point is that cryptographers must be aware of possible side-channel attacks on a particular implementation and appropriate steps must be taken to thwart them.

ByteCoin
vuce

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 11:00:37 AM

another attack on ecdsa. (don't think it's a threat to bitcoin though)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: