Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 07:55:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: can bitcointalk admins read our PM'S  (Read 1496 times)
lockepi (OP)

Activity: 469
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 08:19:05 PM

can admins like theymos read our PM's in INBOX or OUTBOX
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2884
Merit: 2327

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 08:23:04 PM

Yes. Theymos and badbear have access to unencrypted copies of the forum DB. The other admins have access to encrypted copies.

I don't believe they do look at PMs though, they are busy enough with other things and their political views tend to value privacy.

Edit: if you are concerned about them reading your PMs then you should encrypt them using PGP or some other encryption system.
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 08:24:25 PM

can admins like theymos read our PM's in INBOX or OUTBOX

Go compose a new PM. Notice the text below that says:

Note: PM privacy is not guaranteed. Encrypt sensitive messages.

So: yes, admins can read PMs. Encrypt those you want to keep private.
bugmenot

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

No Justice No Peace

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 08:26:44 PM

Yea Yea Yea!!  Admins can read our PMs. They got encrypted copies.  Cool

I AM DONE
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4111

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 09:10:06 PM

It's unlikely they will have any interest in any of your messages, unless it's for a special reasons. Some in the past have been for legal reasons I believe. However, like others have suggested you can encrypt any sensitive messages. The only time they are likely to look at your messages is because the other recipient reported the message, rather than them randomly poking around.  
guitarplinker
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
February 09, 2015, 10:28:14 PM

Yes, admins have access to PM's if they want to read them. If you don't feel safe sending unencrypted messages on bitcointalk, either encrypt them before sending, or send the other person an email if you feel that's a safer communication method.
Yazuki

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 09, 2015, 10:47:54 PM

obviously lol, i bet the first thing theymos did when he became admin was to read satoshi's pms.

i think theymos is the only one that can do it though, he has more powers than badbear
Superhitech
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 01:04:09 AM

Theymos and Badbear can, but probably won't read your PM's. There will be exceptions though, I think once the Feds asked theymos to hand over someone's PM's after they discovered he had been part of/running (can't remember which) silk road.
doggieTattoo

Activity: 209

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 01:05:40 AM

Theymos and Badbear can, but probably won't read your PM's. There will be exceptions though, I think once the Feds asked theymos to hand over someone's PM's after they discovered he had been part of/running (can't remember which) silk road.
It was running silk road and it was the altoid account. I am fairly certain that this is not the first time theymos has turned over PM's from the forum

TIDEX ▬▬ .CRYPTO COINS AND ASSET TRADING. ▬▬ TIDEX
▬▬▰▰▬▬▰▰▰▬▬▰▰▰▬▬▰▰▰▬▬▰▰▬▬
NEW EXCHANGE   ZERO FEES
doggieTattoo

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 01:42:55 AM

I don't think he turned over the PM's in that instance, just the posts that were deleted on the "heroin store" thread. The original subpoena didn't say anything about PM's IIRC.

The post that implicates altoid in the SR was deleted, and theymos said there was no backup of it as it was a long time ago. I don't think anything theymos handed over was ever used in the case, I only saw screenshots of the thread and screenshots of the Google search that led them to it.
You are correct the subpoena only asked for posts of altoid (as well as the herion store thread).

It is interesting they asked for things that were publicly available, especially considering that for much of when the thread was being discussed the forum was not keeping records of deleted posts, so mostly speaking what the public could see is what they got

NEW EXCHANGE   ZERO FEES
Superhitech
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 01:49:18 AM

I don't think he turned over the PM's in that instance, just the posts that were deleted on the "heroin store" thread. The original subpoena didn't say anything about PM's IIRC.

The post that implicates altoid in the SR was deleted, and theymos said there was no backup of it as it was a long time ago. I don't think anything theymos handed over was ever used in the case, I only saw screenshots of the thread and screenshots of the Google search that led them to it.
You are correct the subpoena only asked for posts of altoid (as well as the herion store thread).

It is interesting they asked for things that were publicly available, especially considering that for much of when the thread was being discussed the forum was not keeping records of deleted posts, so mostly speaking what the public could see is what they got

Ahh OK. Thanks!
doggieTattoo

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 01:56:00 AM

They were hoping there may be a backup of the missing post. I'm also surprised they focused so much on bitcointalk, there was a much more direct connection to Ross with the post he made on shroomery:

If anything the shroomery posts hold more weight as he had to verify ownership of the email address.
There is nothing to say they didn't subpoena the records of the shroomery (which I assume is the forum that is referenced in the arrest warrant that ross changed his email to something like frosty@frosty). I would say that the fact they had that fact they probably had gotten a warrant for their records before they even arrested Ross (where did you get that screenshot BTW?) 

NEW EXCHANGE   ZERO FEES
doggieTattoo

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 02:17:20 AM

They were hoping there may be a backup of the missing post. I'm also surprised they focused so much on bitcointalk, there was a much more direct connection to Ross with the post he made on shroomery:

If anything the shroomery posts hold more weight as he had to verify ownership of the email address.
There is nothing to say they didn't subpoena the records of the shroomery (which I assume is the forum that is referenced in the arrest warrant that ross changed his email to something like frosty@frosty). I would say that the fact they had that fact they probably had gotten a warrant for their records before they even arrested Ross (where did you get that screenshot BTW?)  
I will have to look at all they have on him. And how do you know that is DPR's private key? Just because it uses a self reported email address of "silkroakmarket.org" does not mean it actually belongs to DPR/Ross.

I would imagine that one could potentially sell the private key for quite the pretty penny either from the government or a private party transaction

NEW EXCHANGE   ZERO FEES
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5208
Merit: 12998

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 02:27:04 AM

I don't read PMs for fun. Very very rarely, I need to read PMs for technical, administrative, or legal reasons, but I try to avoid this as much as possible. I don't want to spy on anyone's personal business.

obviously lol, i bet the first thing theymos did when he became admin was to read satoshi's pms.

I've never read Satoshi's PMs.

There is nothing to say they didn't subpoena the records of the shroomery

They did.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: