Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 03:38:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it time to go short?  (Read 3642 times)
Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2015, 01:09:18 PM

There are times that even the charts and indicators are wrong. I just keep my options open. If it goes lower, then I'll buy more. If it goes up, then probably there's nothing much I can do anyway. Just hope for the best.

jcoin200

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 01:09:22 PM

Seems like things have stabilized.  I have thought for a while price would be dropping, but now especially with the recent coinbase investments and exchange, I think things are looking up.
damiano
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

103 days, 21 hours and 10 minutes.

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 02:55:31 PM

Taking a short position now isnt the smartest decision.

you said the same shit when it was at 600$

----

yes, it's always time to short

i just dumped my LTC in grace ... i'll buy back for 50 cents (maybe, if  i'm still interested later)

Show me where I said that
mtwelve
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1009

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2015, 05:59:57 PM

I'd say the best market move to make at the moment is to short w/ some heavy leverage since so many people are thinking in this subforum that the 100s of any flavor are a possibility. Smart money is smart amirite?

20x on OKCoin ought to do it, and don't pussy foot around trying to scalp on a 1$ movement.  COMMIT.

How does leverage work? For Bitfinex is like 3:3:1 or something like that, but I never did trade on margin, always using funds I had. Is it worth it, and what are its benefits/risks?

HIRE ME FOR SEO, SOCIAL MEDIA, COPYWRITING, AND MORE: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5100134.0
Kimba_Coinarch (OP)

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 06:16:44 AM

You shouldn't short near the bottom. You had the opportunities to short at $700, or $500, or $400, etc. You get the idea.

What makes you say this is the bottom? I expect BTC myself to go to mid $100's but hey who knows...

I agree, I think it will go down further before it increases.
Kimba_Coinarch (OP)

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 06:25:48 AM

I'd say the best market move to make at the moment is to short w/ some heavy leverage since so many people are thinking in this subforum that the 100s of any flavor are a possibility. Smart money is smart amirite?

20x on OKCoin ought to do it, and don't pussy foot around trying to scalp on a 1$ movement.  COMMIT.

How does leverage work? For Bitfinex is like 3:3:1 or something like that, but I never did trade on margin, always using funds I had. Is it worth it, and what are its benefits/risks?

Coinarch offer up to 10 times leverage. You can invest from US$10. If you think the price will increase you invest in a Long Booster, if you think the price will decrease you invest in a Short Booster. If you guess correctly you profit and if you guess incorrectly you lose your initial investment.

Fore example, Our trader of the week invested a small $15 in a long booster with 8x leverage on the 1st of Feb when the bitcoin price was 214. He closed his position 2 days later when the bitcoin price had increased to 237 and made 81% profit. Had he invested the maximum of $1,250, he would have made $1012. The same principle applies to going short. Had he gone short, he would have lost $15 only.

Hope this makes sense.
neurotypical

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 01:49:02 PM

Shorting only makes sense if you do leverage, which at the same time leverage never makes sense because you can get on debt if things go against you.

Basically never short. Buy and hold. You require too much luck to win shorting. I dont believe in predicting the market, let alone small market noise.
damiano
Legendary

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 03:04:48 PM

Shorting only makes sense if you do leverage, which at the same time leverage never makes sense because you can get on debt if things go against you.

Basically never short. Buy and hold. You require too much luck to win shorting. I dont believe in predicting the market, let alone small market noise.

I have a small 6 btc stash I trade futures with on okcoin @ 20:1 which I use for day trading.  I have my long position on Bitfinex.  I do agree you can get yourself into deep shit if your on the wrong side, but in this market currently it's to easy to make trades and gain a profit.  I take profits out and funnel them back into Bitfinex.  If you watch the market closely it's very easy to make gains.  I think the main issue with leverage (I used to do this) is holding on to long and not taking profit.  Before entering a position you need to establish when your going to get out and when the time comes you need to follow through with your exit.  In some cases it's better to hold longer (coinbase pump is a good example).  Also never go all into a position, I usually build my positions slowly constantly averaging out.
Kimba_Coinarch (OP)

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 05:31:15 AM

I have a small 6 btc stash I trade futures with on okcoin @ 20:1 which I use for day trading.  I have my long position on Bitfinex.  I do agree you can get yourself into deep shit if your on the wrong side, but in this market currently it's to easy to make trades and gain a profit.  I take profits out and funnel them back into Bitfinex.  If you watch the market closely it's very easy to make gains.  I think the main issue with leverage (I used to do this) is holding on to long and not taking profit.  Before entering a position you need to establish when your going to get out and when the time comes you need to follow through with your exit.  In some cases it's better to hold longer (coinbase pump is a good example).  Also never go all into a position, I usually build my positions slowly constantly averaging out.

You seem to know what you are doing. Using a stop loss feature also helps as you can set the price you are comfortable with without having to watch the bitcoin price every minute. Are you interested in giving Coinarch a try? I can give you free brokerage for 7 days so you get a feel for the system. Email me at kimberley.silva@coinarch.com if you are keen.
Morecoin Freeman

Activity: 854
Merit: 503

Legendary trader

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 12:27:47 PM

Careful with stop losses though. You don't want your stop loss to trigger just before the market starts to go in your favorable direction.
Basically if you know what you are doing you don't need stop losses since you only margin trade when you are sure about what's going to happen next.

I never know how high or how low it will go but the direction it is going I know 95% of the time. Also always take profits when you start to feel like a god. This is likely the moment before things get worse. Tongue

Ask the stranger he knows who you really are.
damiano
Legendary

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 03:36:56 PM

You seem to know what you are doing. Using a stop loss feature also helps as you can set the price you are comfortable with without having to watch the bitcoin price every minute. Are you interested in giving Coinarch a try? I can give you free brokerage for 7 days so you get a feel for the system. Email me at kimberley.silva@coinarch.com if you are keen.

Thank you for be offer,  but currently I will have to decline.  In the future if Coinarch comes out with an iOS app I will give it a shot.  The main reason why I use Okcoin is because of the iOS app.  I hate the web interface and I am always on the go so it makes things convenient for me.

Careful with stop losses though. You don't want your stop loss to trigger just before the market starts to go in your favorable direction.
Basically if you know what you are doing you don't need stop losses since you only margin trade when you are sure about what's going to happen next.

I never know how high or how low it will go but the direction it is going I know 95% of the time. Also always take profits when you start to feel like a god. This is likely the moment before things get worse. Tongue

I don't use stop losses and I found them to cause more losses than gains.  If I think there might be a huge market correction against me, I just will wait it out or trade very very small positions.

As stated previously I think the main issue with leverage is people's greed.  If you get to greedy you could wipe your gains in a heartbeat.  Always have an out planned before you enter, or take profit at a certain % gain
manselr
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 07:22:23 PM

I don't even know what stop loss is yet. I try to limit myself to very few trades per MONTH. And all of them done manually, I dont leave open orders when I go to sleep and stuff like that. Too much stress.
Kimba_Coinarch (OP)

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 02:22:53 AM

It's impossible to go into debt with Coinarch, hence the reason why they are different from other trading platforms.

Obviously, if you guess the correct bitcoin movement i.e. if you think it will increase and it does, then you profit. If you guess incorrectly you only lose what you invest. You don't have to invest anymore. So if you invest $10 and leverage 10x it basically means you have 100 worth of bitcoins. If you guess incorrectly you will only lose $10 as opposed to losing $100. Though if you guessed correctly and the price moved 10% you would reap the rewards, you would profit $10, doubling your money.

Does this make sense? You should give it a try - sounds like you could make a lot of money.
Kimba_Coinarch (OP)

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 02:27:49 AM

I don't even know what stop loss is yet. I try to limit myself to very few trades per MONTH. And all of them done manually, I dont leave open orders when I go to sleep and stuff like that. Too much stress.

A stop loss is a really cool feature. Basically if you were to open a long position with 10x leverage in the hope the bitcoin price would increase you could setup a stop loss so you don't have to watch your trade.

For example, let's pretend the bitcoin price is $220 and you're happy to close your position once the bitcoin price gets to $235 (6.8% increase). You can setup a stop loss for $235 and your position will automatically be closed out for you. You don't even need to be logged in. This makes trading really easy.

Create an account with Coinarch using Kimba as the invitation code and I will give you free brokerage for a week to help you get started. Email me at Kimberley.silva@coinarch.com if you have any more questions
Kimba_Coinarch (OP)

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 02:32:21 AM

Thank you for be offer,  but currently I will have to decline.  In the future if Coinarch comes out with an iOS app I will give it a shot.  The main reason why I use Okcoin is because of the iOS app.  I hate the web interface and I am always on the go so it makes things convenient for me.

I don't use stop losses and I found them to cause more losses than gains.  If I think there might be a huge market correction against me, I just will wait it out or trade very very small positions.

As stated previously I think the main issue with leverage is people's greed.  If you get to greedy you could wipe your gains in a heartbeat.  Always have an out planned before you enter, or take profit at a certain % gain

Thanks for the feedback - The team are currently working on an iOS app. Valid comments.

In respect to the stop losses, I completely understand and it's all about what works for the user. Not everyone has time to watch the market 24/7 so it is good for the traders who dont have the time. Those that do have the time to watch the market don't need the stop loss feature though it is there in case. Smiley
croato

Activity: 616

1BkEzspSxp2zzHiZTtUZJ6TjEb1hERFdRr

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 02:36:54 AM
Last edit: February 14, 2015, 01:23:03 AM by croato

Bitcoin can short terms go up or down but in long terms i bet it will hit seven digits. I dont think shorting is smart on bitcoin as you cant never tell if it will climb and never get back.
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 02:42:29 AM

Bitcoin can short terms go up or down but in long terms i bet it will hit seven digits. I dont think shorting is smart on bitcoin as you cant never tell ir it will climb and never get back.

Leveraged trading is not a buy and hold strategy. margin should only be used as a short term trade to maximize profits for the smaller moves. Your 7 digits won't happen over night, so relax, an multiply your holdings.

afbitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1061

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2015, 09:28:35 AM

How are those shorts looking ?

SQUEEEEEEZE
picolo

Activity: 1022

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 09:52:33 AM

Whilst the bitcoin market looks stable, traders desperately await a breakout. Since the beginning of February the price has been bouncing between 210 and 248, waiting for a near-perfect bearish breakout thanks to the absence of buying volume.

At this time, we would like to take a look at other fundamental factors that could potentially affect the bitcoin value in the coming months, maybe years. Firstly, the United States has doubled its quantitative easing, indicating yet another financial meltdown in coming years. This is reassuring for long term bitcoin holders as investors will be looking for other options to hedge their funds. As speculators believe, the demand of bitcoin will hit high during the economic slowdown. The bitcoin price surged 87% post-Cyprus bailout.

February 9th Bitcoin Trading Session

BTC/USD opened at around 224 yesterday, continuing the prevailing sideways movement in the absence of enough trading volume. As the day moved ahead, the price began to stir a little towards the downside, probably due to shaky hands leaving the market. A sell-off occurred subsequently, dropping the price down to 215, right inside the oversold region, though above the 210 floor.

The fall however failed to transform into a breakout, as price correction soon occurred and took price back inside the stable channels. At press time, the BTC/USD is valued around 220.

What to Expect Today?

As we review the chart, the technical indicators are once again inclined towards a bearish bias. The price is trading way below the 200-, 100- and 50-hour SMA while the RSI is stuck between the 43-47 area. The MACD blue curve is only a little below the normal line and has its head towards the south. We have drawn a red line, indicating the ultimate support point of the current bearish bias. If the price manages to break below this line, the pressure will once again fall on this year’s low of around 165. Once below, the price could tease even lower at the 100s.

In the case where the bitcoin price manages to move upwards, there is a series of resistance levels waiting to send it back to the 210 support area. A near-term bull run is hoping to find intra-day resistance around 230, and then later at 248. Even though these levels have a lot of selling pressure, any possible break above them will extend the bullish correction towards the 275-300 area.

Conclusion (On 1-D Charts)

Current Mood: Strong Bearish
Technical Indicators: Strong Sell (0 Buy 9 Sell 2 Neutral)
Moving Averages: Strong Sell (0 Buy 12 Sell)

https://www.coinarch.com/Info/Blog?Page=2015/02/daily-bitcoin-price-analysis-9th-february/

A short play to wait for 200$ 190$ or even lower is possible but it could break up to 280$ then 300$ and more too so it is dangerous.
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 01:10:48 PM

DO IT BENNET. Short now. You'll regret it otherwise!  Wink

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: