Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 11:43:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: $25,000 in Bitcoin Seized from Alleged Software Scam Operator  (Read 2600 times)
redsn0w (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 08:40:16 AM

"A cache of bitcoins and litecoins has been seized by federal law enforcement officials as part of an investigation into alleged counterfeit software sales and distribution.

Approximately 105 BTC and 900 LTC were cited in a civil forfeiture that included more than $7m, hundreds of gold and silver bars and coins, and a number of luxury items including sports cars, wedding rings and a diamond-encrusted Rolex.
"

I've discovered this news yesterday at  :  http://www.coindesk.com/25000-bitcoin-seized-alleged-software-scam/

What do you think guys ?
noma

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 09:03:17 AM

Great , now this will be followed by another auction probably, which might mean more dumps happening.
EDIT: My bad, just realized its 25K USD and not btc.

▓▓▓▓    New Real-time Cryptocurrency Exchange             → CREATE  ACCOUNT ▓▓▓▓
▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅  BIT-X.com  ▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅
▓▓▓▓    Supported Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP → OFFICIAL THREAD ▓▓▓▓
adworker

Activity: 190

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 09:08:57 AM

"Approximately 105 BTC and 900 LTC were cited in a civil forfeiture that included more than $7m, hundreds of gold and silver bars and coins, and a number of luxury items including sports cars, wedding rings and a diamond-encrusted Rolex."

Not much Bitcoin seized compared to the value of other stuff seized...

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄ ■        SKYNET        ■ ▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▐▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬     PRIVATE SALE is LIVE     ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▌
Whitepaper   Bounty   Bitcointalk   ■   Facebook   Twitter   Telegram
redsn0w (OP)
Legendary

#Free market

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 09:38:56 AM

Justice be served, its not because someone is using Bitcoin or any other crypto that makes them a saint being attacked by the evil state while committing crimes.

Yes of course, every scammer should pay.

"Approximately 105 BTC and 900 LTC were cited in a civil forfeiture that included more than $7m, hundreds of gold and silver bars and coins, and a number of luxury items including sports cars, wedding rings and a diamond-encrusted Rolex."

Not much Bitcoin seized compared to the value of other stuff seized...

I know it is not much, but it is always a scam and they should pay.
SargeR33

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

★Bitin.io★ - Instant Exchange

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 10:25:31 AM

That is pretty insane. This is interesting though. If a wallet is secure and the owner claims to forget the password or private key, what happens? Would they be forced to give fiat to the value of BTC? Will the BTC be destroyed? They cannot sell a public address nor get the bitcoin out of them. I didn't read the article, just a general statement about this topic.

mitus-2

Activity: 224

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 10:30:55 AM

That is pretty insane. This is interesting though. If a wallet is secure and the owner claims to forget the password or private key, what happens? Would they be forced to give fiat to the value of BTC? Will the BTC be destroyed? They cannot sell a public address nor get the bitcoin out of them. I didn't read the article, just a general statement about this topic.

legally speaking, if you are sentenced to pay, it doesn't matter if you lost the priv key or whatever, you have to pay even using other methods (cash).
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2015, 10:44:56 AM

This looks likes someone getting caught for selling software keys for bitcoin.
We have quite a few of these sellers here Grin
flipstyle

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 10:46:53 AM

Lol before even reading the full article, I already knew the culprit was chinese.  They thrive on counterfeiting sales.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1217

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 11:35:50 AM

Lol before even reading the full article, I already knew the culprit was chinese.  They thrive on counterfeiting sales.

A reason for that is the support they receive from high ranking Chinese officials. The Chinese government don't want foreign software firms to profit from software sales within China. So tactically, they encourage counterfeiting.
BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 1373

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 12:09:38 PM

This is so good. Did you notice the indictment document? It is the USA against the property. No human is listed. Why not? Is there a separate indictment somewhere else against the man?

I'm not going to look into details of the case, but, what if the USA doesn't really have a case against the man who did all the bad stuff? What if the guy is a crook, but there is no actual harm or damage anyone will come forward and say that he did to them?

The point is this. If he is a crook, but if nobody comes against him personally in court, he should be able, as a man, to require his property returned to him.

Is the USA a man who has interest in his property? Is the USA a man who can get on the stand and speak the interest that they have into the record? Probably not.

The guy is a crook. But if he knows his common law, and how to force the courts into a direct, man to man, court of record, and if no human being gets up to speak a claim against him, he should be able to get "his" property returned to him. It is the kind of law-land we live in.

Where would the justice be in something like this if it happened that way? The justice would be that the USA as a government is continually throwing all kinds of Americans into prison for little or nothing. Many of these are innocent of any crime whatsoever, or guilty of some petty "crime" like smoking a joint - that really isn't any crime at all. This USA action is making the police bolder so that they often act harmfully towards the general populace - police brutality in the extreme - often including murder.

Something like this guy getting his property back would start to take the power away from the USA as a police government. It would start to get the people into the habit of acting personally, man to man, against crooks who rob them, rather than acting as corporations. It would be a step towards stopping the USA from harming all kinds of folks with all the thousands of goofy laws that government has on the books, that are really methods to take away the freedom of the people.

If this guy won a common law, man-to-man suit against the U.S. government, it would start to bring freedom back to America.

Smiley

Cure your cancer at home. Ivermectin, fenbendazole, methylene blue, and hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) are chief among parasite drugs. Find out that all disease is based in parasites or pollution, and what you can easily do about it - https://www.huldaclark.com/.
Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
February 10, 2015, 12:11:30 PM

Digital currency tied to software scam

Now this is one statement that I don't like to hear. It might give wrong perception to people especially people who are new to bitcoin.

yatsey87

Activity: 840
Merit: 509

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 12:17:44 PM

This looks likes someone getting caught for selling software keys for bitcoin.
We have quite a few of these sellers here Grin

Hmm... it's likely only a matter of time before someone from this forum gets investigated or prosecuted because of this sort of piracy.

Digital currency tied to software scam

Now this is one statement that I don't like to hear. It might give wrong perception to people especially people who are new to bitcoin.

There's nothing we can do about them sort of people. How much fiat money is taken in software scams?
AtheistAKASaneBrain

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 12:23:56 PM

More bad press for Bitcoin, undeserved bad press as always, but still better than nothing i guess.
Flep182
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 12:51:04 PM

More bad press for Bitcoin, undeserved bad press as always, but still better than nothing i guess.

Nah, don't think this is going to tip the scales. It's a form of money, like the USD. Nobody is leaving the USD when a Colombian druglord is arrested with heaps of cash laying around Wink
sniveling

Activity: 719

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 12:59:51 PM

Nah, don't think this is going to tip the scales. It's a form of money, like the USD. Nobody is leaving the USD when a Colombian druglord is arrested with heaps of cash laying around Wink

The scammer had most of his money stored in cash and gold. 105 BTC and 900 LTC is nothing.
Mr Crabs

Activity: 91
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 01:01:47 PM

But you're forgetting that's not how the fickle public work. They believe the media propaganda and associate bitcoin more with bad things than positive. It's unfortunate but it's just the way it is.
Flep182
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1007

View Profile
February 10, 2015, 01:29:54 PM

To be honest I think the swings up and down do more damage than some criminals being seized Smiley
redsn0w (OP)
Legendary

#Free market

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 10:52:09 PM

But you're forgetting that's not how the fickle public work. They believe the media propaganda and associate bitcoin more with bad things than positive. It's unfortunate but it's just the way it is.

They are thinking that FIAT value are more secure and "positive" than bitcoin, but I think a lot of people wrong. It is obviously the mass-media aren't helping (not all but the but the 70-80%) the bitcoin "image".
Bobsurplus
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

Making money since I was in the womb! @emc2whale

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 10:53:21 PM

I wonder when that rolex will come up in auction.
maku
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 10:55:47 PM

I just wonder what will happen with that cryptos? Police is going to use it somehow? You can't just put back bitcoin into circulation... Any thoughts?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: