Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 03:48:20 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Bitcointalk don't use Google Adsense ?  (Read 3099 times)
Madness (OP)

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

My goal is becaming a billionaire.

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2015, 04:20:13 PM

At the end google adsense isn't the best choice for this forum, it seems the ads slots (now) it is profitable/useful for all the community. As everyone of you told : the security is the most important thing in this forum.

Its not only that, its about anonimity also, atleast from my point of view. With google adsence they would have to deal with taxes, which is not the case with bitcoin payments.
I think they know whats best for them, whatever that reason may be.

cheers

I don't get what you are trying to say here to be honest , anonimity of what exactly ? we all know Theymos real name in real life . so I don't see what he will try to hide but his name

~ Madness

Im talking about tax. I doubt they report for tax everything that they get here, with any other ad company they would be inclined to.
I never said hes trying to hide his name  Roll Eyes

cheers

Taxes for what exactly ? I never heard anything about Google Adsense to be honest , there might be some fees while they send the money that's all Shocked

~ Madness

(source:http://www.maxi-pedia.com/adsense+income+google+tax)

Reporting AdSense Google income involves filling out several tax forms.

Must I report Google AdSense income and pay tax on it?
In general all your income must be reported to the IRS and state Departments of Revenue and is subject to taxation. Whether you end up paying taxes on your AdSense income (or AdSense revenue, see here AdSense revenue) depends on several factors which will be discussed later. State taxes apply as well.

Mmm I see .
Well thank you for the informations, I didn't knew that .

~ Madness

Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
erikalui
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1094

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2015, 04:22:27 PM

I thought it already uses as I see some unnecessary ads under each post and I thought that it was a Google ad but I guess it is some other promotional ad. I don't want it to use Google adsense as then there would pop ups and ads everywhere on the forum  Undecided

Madness (OP)

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

My goal is becaming a billionaire.

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2015, 04:26:09 PM

I thought it already uses as I see some unnecessary ads under each post and I thought that it was a Google ad but I guess it is some other promotional ad. I don't want it to use Google adsense as then there would pop ups and ads everywhere on the forum  Undecided

Nah the ads that you see them under each post aren't from Google adsense , they are from users around the forums .
you can see more informations here : https://bitcointalk.org/adrotate.php?adinfo , Basically Theymos make an auction and people BID to get those slots for ads .

~ Madness

erikalui
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1094

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2015, 04:52:01 PM

Nah the ads that you see them under each post aren't from Google adsense , they are from users around the forums .
you can see more informations here : https://bitcointalk.org/adrotate.php?adinfo , Basically Theymos make an auction and people BID to get those slots for ads .

~ Madness

Yeah, I just checked few ads and noticed they were member ads. I have seen forums using Google adsense and some ads are like videos that play when the forum is accessed. I just mute them as they are quite irritating.

Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2015, 04:59:23 PM

Its not only that, its about anonimity also, atleast from my point of view. With google adsence they would have to deal with taxes, which is not the case with bitcoin payments.

cheers

AFAIK theymos is paying tax correctly and is responding to other legal things.

-MZ

ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 07:01:21 PM

cheers

AFAIK theymos is paying tax correctly and is responding to other legal things.

-MZ

You have no way of knowing things as private as that, at best it can be "hearsay".
Anyways, noone said he isnt either, and i doubt anyone cares, it was just a question of transparency of different ad services.

cheers
Muhammed Zakir

Activity: 560
Merit: 506

I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2015, 07:11:14 PM

You have no way of knowing things as private as that, at best it can be "hearsay".
Anyways, noone said he isnt either, and i doubt anyone cares, it was just a question of transparency of different ad services.

cheers

"There is always a way, you may think all doors are closed to *you* but when one closes, another opens." Wink

I finally got the forum's 2013 taxes finished (after an extension).

Here's the final accounting summary for 2011-2013. All values are USD at transaction time because this makes the numbers more easy to understand, though the forum only holds BTC.

Code:
Income
      Donations     Ads
2011       3081    1545
2012      13291   21014
2013      42174  243233

Expenses
      Infrastructure  Development   Mods  Grants    Tax
2011             213            0      0       0    109
2012              11          276      0       0   3973
2013             194       185751  81027    2802  15841

Here are the totals for 2014 up to now. These numbers are in BTC.
- Income: 522
- Expenses: 1505 (1257 Slickage, the rest mostly mods)

Also, 250 BTC was probably lost when treasurer paraipan died, unfortunately. Recovering that BTC is maybe still possible, but it's probably unlikely.

The forum currently has about 5568 BTC in reserve.

BTW, if you are unfamiliar with how tax works with Bitcoin, you'll probably be really confused at how the forum experienced a net loss in 2013 but still paid a lot of tax. That happens because every expense "triggers" substantial capital gains, and therefore capital gains tax. The forum essentially pays a variable-rate tax on all expenses.

If you're interested: I used the LIFO method for calculating capital gains. My idea is to "save up" BTC batches until they become long-term, which has a lower tax rate. My understanding is that you can use any capital gains calculation method, though. (This is not tax advice -- consult a CPA.)

-MZ

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: