Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 06:11:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin dealing massive blow to Western Union  (Read 964 times)
redhawk979 (OP)

Activity: 271
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 11:13:46 PM

j/k  WU profits up 28%.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/western-unions-profit-rises-28-2015-02-10-164854352
Sythyn

Activity: 1082
Merit: 505

A Digital Universe with Endless Possibilities.

View Profile WWW
February 11, 2015, 11:22:50 PM

How does this relate to Bitcoin in anyway?
Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 11:30:35 PM

if humans really think ... they can replace WU and use BTC instead.  Wink that it's the subject.
ironically, WU use perhaps BTC (in satoshi mode = 1 BTC = 1 000 000 USD) to transfer freely the cash over country .... and charge with 12% of fee.  Roll Eyes
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 11:53:42 PM

I've never understood people comparing Bitcoin to a business. Western Union is a business. Bitcoin is an ACH/EFT replacement system. Western union could decide to use Bitcoin to transfer money tomorrow and it would still be the same business. They would just be using a different transfer method.

foggyb
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1006

View Profile
February 11, 2015, 11:57:54 PM

I've never understood people comparing Bitcoin to a business. Western Union is a business. Bitcoin is an ACH/EFT replacement system. Western union could decide to use Bitcoin to transfer money tomorrow and it would still be the same business. They would just be using a different transfer method.

What don't you understand? Why would I pay Western Union $50 to send $1000 via bitcoin if I can do it myself for free. Or at worst 2-3% fee if I purchase bitcoin with my CC.

I just registered for the $PLOTS presale! Thank you @plotsfinance for allowing me to purchase tokens at the discounted valuation of only $0.015 per token, a special offer for anyone who participated in the airdrop. Tier II round is for the public at $0.025 per token. Allocation is very limited and you need to register first using the official Part III link found on their twitter. Register using my referral code CPB5 to receive 2,500 points.
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 12:59:04 AM

What don't you understand? Why would I pay Western Union $50 to send $1000 via bitcoin if I can do it myself for free. Or at worst 2-3% fee if I purchase bitcoin with my CC.

Western Union is a business. Coinbase is a business.

Bitcoin is a method of transferring value. ACH/EFT is a method of transfering value.

They're not the same thing.

Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 01:05:17 AM

How does this relate to Bitcoin in anyway?
Agree, bitcoin is long way to cease WU from existance
CoinRocka

Activity: 249

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 01:49:16 AM

you're a douche  Cool
thriftshopping

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 05:00:44 AM

Bitcoin is a method of transferring value. ACH/EFT is a method of transfering value.

Well WU also has their own network in a similar way that bitcoin has it's own network. When you send money via WU you are using their network in a similar way that you are using the ACH network when using ACH
lophie

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

Unlimited Free Crypto

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 06:21:32 AM

Well I personally was a customer that happily paid the insane fees with 2k+ dollars monthly transfers. Now I use a local bitcoin exchange and not them anymore. We just need more of my current me and less of my previous me and then WU can go $#@ themselves.

Will take me a while to climb up again, But where is a will, there is a way...
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 06:26:58 AM

Well WU also has their own network in a similar way that bitcoin has it's own network. When you send money via WU you are using their network in a similar way that you are using the ACH network when using ACH

Hikmet Ersek is the President and Chief Executive Officer of Western Union. Jack M. Greenberg is the Chairman of Western Unions Board of Directors. Who is the CEO and director of Bitcoin?

Bitcoin is not a company. The flavor of a red apple is not orange.

Gleb Gamow
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 06:38:35 AM

Hikmet Ersek is the President and Chief Executive Officer of Western Union. Jack M. Greenberg is the Chairman of Western Unions Board of Directors. Who is the CEO and director of Bitcoin?

Bitcoin is not a company. The flavor of a red apple is not orange.

Obviously, we don't shop at the same Walmart.
Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2015, 09:22:08 AM

The reason why people still stick to the send-over-the-counter practise is mainly because not many people knows about bitcoin existence in the first place especially those who are not tech savvy. This will change in years to come. For the moment, If anybody is willing to help these people by setting up an intermediate btc sending/receiving service... if there is any

wadili89
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 12, 2015, 10:22:52 AM

after reading all the posts i just could not get the purpos of this thread ? compairing a currency with a money transfer bussiness ? they are not just the same

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: