Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:39:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The longest blockchain is the truth?  (Read 1660 times)
Frozenlock (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 06:50:30 PM

If I understand correctly, when the client is faced with two different blockchain, the longest will prevail.

If it's the case, wouldn't be possible to generate a longer blockchain (starting from scratch, or almost) by simply using an easier difficulty than the network?

The new blockchain would then be seen as the truth and the real one simply discarded.

I must be missing something. Could someone please enlighten me?
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jimbo77

Activity: 224
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 06:52:01 PM

If I understand correctly, when the client is faced with two different blockchain, the longest will prevail.

If it's the case, wouldn't be possible to generate a longer blockchain (starting from scratch, or almost) by simply using an easier difficulty than the network?

The new blockchain would then be seen as the truth and the real one simply discarded.

It picks the most difficult chain.
xlcus
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1009

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 07:11:14 PM

That's freaky.  I was thinking the exact same thing earlier today.

It picks the most difficult chain.
And that makes sense :-)
BitterTea

Activity: 294

View Profile
May 23, 2011, 07:22:48 PM

The difficulty for which the block was generated is encoded into the block header. The "length" of a chain is actually the sum of all of its constituent block's difficulties.
Dobrodav

Activity: 350

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 05:39:14 AM

Header you say ? Om-nom-nom. I should think about it.

knightmb

Activity: 308
Merit: 256

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2011, 03:16:08 PM

I brought this up a long time ago, basically I called it a reverse-time attack. You generated a block chain with 2 PCs at the lowest difficult and wait until it over-takes the real block chain and then bring that block chain into the network. To get around the issue, the clients since had a hard-coded block lock put into place with every release. That way if someone did try this, the clients would see that the block chain history didn't match the new "fake" generated chain and refuse using it.

The only reason that attack would work is, 1) you get a perfect 1 block / 10 minute generation cycle. This would eventually catch up with the real block generation because it can vary from 10 minutes to an hour sometimes 2) There was nothing in the software to say otherwise until the block chain locks were added

The effect would be, you would wipe out all transactions and end up owning all the bitcoins generated with that fake block chain. But like I said, something to counter that was put into place long, long ago.  Grin

Timekoin - The World's Most Energy Efficient Encrypted Digital Currency
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: