Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:54:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin vs Gold: The Age Old Debate  (Read 4113 times)
Paleus (OP)

Activity: 284
Merit: 122

www.diginomics.com

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2015, 09:12:50 PM

The bitcoin vs gold debate has raged on in investment circles since bitcoin has entered discussion circles among investors with increasing interest. Gold has been used as a form of currency and trade for thousands of years, but as we will show, bitcoin may be the kind of financial breakthrough to replace it.

Early on, seasoned investors began questioning the legitimacy of bitcoin value and wondering how such a commodity could have intrinsic value. What differentiates bitcoin from a mere collectible and what makes it similar to precious metal assets such as gold or silver? Among many circles, especially gold bugs and older-generation investors, bitcoin was not considered a valid investment up until very recently.

In order to properly analyze the value of bitcoin vs gold, we must clarify which attributes of gold are valuable and prop them up against the promise of bitcoin. When we measure the implications of today’s economic environment, it is clear to see that bitcoin is gold for the 21st century, or as some pundits have advocated, a ‘digital gold’.

Read the full article on Diginomics.

"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
OROBTC
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1852

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 03:12:39 AM

What is there to debate?

Buy both!  I addressed my reasoning on both on another thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=953896.0

Both Au and BTC have some similarities, but their differences are attractive to anyone who wants diversification.

It's so obvious to me that both are good.  The only real question is what proportion of each to hold (based on risk tolerance and a multitude of individual circumstances).
grendel25
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1031

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 03:51:58 AM

When we all get over fear and doubt gold will be used for what it's best at: ensuring high quality electronics or being embedded into other applications like high quality glass or unique applications of glassware.  Besides, it won't be too long before gold or any other metal could just be mass produced using other ores or metallurgy processes.

..EPICENTRAL .....
..EPIC: Epic Private Internet Cash..
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████████████▀▀█████▄
▄████████████▀▀▀    ██████▄
████████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ████████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
▀████████▌▐       ████████▀
▀████████ ▄██▄  ████████▀
▀█████████████▄███████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████▀█████▀████████▄
▄██████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀██████▄
██████▌             ▐██████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
▀█████▄  ▄▄     ▄▄  ▄█████▀
▀██████▄▄███████▄▄██████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
[/center]
sandy47bt

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 01:59:57 PM

Bitcoin is a digital currency, not digital gold
So, i think comparing Bitcoin & gold is a bit weird since they have different uses

How about buy gold with bitcoin Grin
picolo

Activity: 1022
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 02:18:37 PM

So, i think comparing Bitcoin & gold is a bit weird since they have different uses

Both can be a store of value and use for exchange.
OROBTC
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 04:09:10 PM

Gold is the only thing I have ever bought with Bitcoin.  Other than making a few BTC low-value donations to spread the word.
Maegfaer

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 04:21:08 PM

The big question is why specifically Bitcoin will become the "digital gold" of the future. Just because it was the first crypto-currency? I don't think so, the head-start is so small in the large scheme of things. At some point there will be a crypto-currency that has such vastly superior features and so much more adoption for whatever reason that everyone will forget about Bitcoin.
bitdraw

Activity: 504

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 07:26:26 PM

The big question is why specifically Bitcoin will become the "digital gold" of the future. Just because it was the first crypto-currency? I don't think so, the head-start is so small in the large scheme of things. At some point there will be a crypto-currency that has such vastly superior features and so much more adoption for whatever reason that everyone will forget about Bitcoin.

it depends if bitcoin gets enough adoption and use cases. they more it is integrated in you daily life the less likely you will switch to another currency
picolo

Activity: 1022

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 07:54:02 PM

The bitcoin vs gold debate has raged on in investment circles since bitcoin has entered discussion circles among investors with increasing interest. Gold has been used as a form of currency and trade for thousands of years, but as we will show, bitcoin may be the kind of financial breakthrough to replace it.

Early on, seasoned investors began questioning the legitimacy of bitcoin value and wondering how such a commodity could have intrinsic value. What differentiates bitcoin from a mere collectible and what makes it similar to precious metal assets such as gold or silver? Among many circles, especially gold bugs and older-generation investors, bitcoin was not considered a valid investment up until very recently.

In order to properly analyze the value of bitcoin vs gold, we must clarify which attributes of gold are valuable and prop them up against the promise of bitcoin. When we measure the implications of today’s economic environment, it is clear to see that bitcoin is gold for the 21st century, or as some pundits have advocated, a ‘digital gold’.

Read the full article on Diginomics.

Bitcoin is useful so it has intrasic value but it doesn't have the industrial and jewelery properties that Gold has.
Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2015, 01:48:26 AM

what makes both has value? basically it's acceptance. It's a certain value that we agree on to assign to it. If you notice what they share in common is also basically the scarcity.

Rub3n

Activity: 563
Merit: 501

S> Cheap SocialMedia Hype's

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2015, 02:01:46 AM

Bitcoin is more of a currency then a materialistic type, ofcourse gold exists way longer and it would be the stable option.

neurotypical

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 11:35:53 PM

Gold and all other currencies are objectively shitty and deprectaed when compared to Bitcoin.

OROBTC
Legendary

View Profile
February 16, 2015, 12:54:56 AM
Last edit: February 16, 2015, 03:38:01 AM by OROBTC

neurotypical

A very nice table you presented to us, thank you.

I would argue that gold (certainly gold coins) are harder to successfully counterfeit than the table would imply ("Secure").  Experience in handling gold coins (weight -- can be better verified with the $20 Chinese scales available at coin shops), the "ring test" (striking a 1 oz Gold Eagle with a $1.00 Susan B. Anthony dollar makes a nice riiiiiing), careful measurement and visual exam all mean almost all fakes are easy to detect once you have some practice.

I would also argue that gold is more scarce than the table would imply.  Most gold mining -- "All-In Costs" -- is not profitable at the +/- $1230 range we are in now.  It takes some 10 years from a significant gold discovery to mine production as well.

And who cares if gold is not "Smart"?

Those "Traits of Money" are not all equal...   But nice food for thought.
Possum577

Activity: 434

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2015, 01:22:14 AM

Speaking to the obvious currency vs. asset class question that remains for BTC, did Gold have the high relative asset value when it was primarily used for currency? I would expect not but I don't know...anyone know for sure?

Another thing I'll be interested to see (and it will take some time for the trend to materialize) will be how BTC reacts to the rise and fall of the stock market. Gold tends to react inversely, will BTC have the same relationship?

Possum577

Activity: 434

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2015, 01:24:41 AM

They have the same uses - they're used as a store of value or as currency. Where's the difference you speak of?

Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2015, 03:18:06 AM

Gold and all other currencies are objectively shitty and deprectaed when compared to Bitcoin.

Nice table but the only thing i see is that bitcoin shouldn't be in the government issued factor in the first place. It's rather unfair. Instead it should be something like 'backing' or 'acceptance' so the rest can be compared against each other.

Fernandez
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 16, 2015, 06:23:36 AM

I always maintained Bitcoin is like digital gold. Only disadvantage right now is the extreme volatility but that will pass when it becomes sufficiently big.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄███████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

...INTRODUCING WAVES........
...ULTIMATE ASSET/CUSTOM TOKEN BLOCKCHAIN PLATFORM...

bitdraw

Activity: 504

View Profile
February 16, 2015, 10:53:34 AM

I always maintained Bitcoin is like digital gold. Only disadvantage right now is the extreme volatility but that will pass when it becomes sufficiently big.

another aspect that should be considered regarding volatility is equal distribution. maybe im wrong, but i think the more equal the distribution, the less volatile it will be
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
February 16, 2015, 11:14:26 AM

volatility is something i came to love about bitcoin, because it provides you with enough chances to trade and profit if ure doing it right.
i wouldnt choose gold over bitcoin,never. since there will allways be gold to dig out, noone can tell for sure what the max supply of gold there is,
unlike bitcoin when u know from the start that theres only 21 milion of it and thats it.
cheers
xcapator

Activity: 322
Merit: 252

Here I Am !!

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 03:29:42 PM

Gold has been in a bear market for 3 1/2 years. I don't think most of you could survive a 3 1/2 year BTC downturn. It might take another 12 months to get down to $100 and then it might trade sideways for another year.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: