Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 06:46:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Timekoin: Forum offline. Anyone here?  (Read 1141 times)
d5000 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3906
Merit: 6194

Decentralization Maximalist

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 01:26:46 AM

I was wondering what happened to Timekoin (TK).

Their website http://timekoin.org is still online. But their forum (http://forums.timekoin.org) is "under maintenance" since December, the number of active servers has plummeted, and there haven't been commits to the Timekoin Github site since September (and no relevant updates since at least May). The main dev KnightMB has been silent since about March 2014.

For all these wondering why I'm starting a thread about "just another shitcoin":

Timekoin was one of the first altcoins, and exists since early 2012. It is also one of the first coins not based on the Bitcoin code (I don't know if the CryptoNote-Bytecoin is older or not), and the first one not based on Proof-of-work. Instead, it has a kind of "proof-of-uptime" system where full nodes are rewarded when they stay online continously without interruptions.

Are there any "Timekoiners" left here? If there is interest in continuing this (technically very interesting) project, I would suggest to use this thread or Reddit (http://reddit.com/r/TimeKoin/) for discussions until the forum is back. Perhaps someone with technical knowledge can "reboot" it?

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
readysalted89

Activity: 327
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 13, 2015, 03:08:57 AM

I briefly looked at Timekoin last year because I found it interesting that you could run it on low power devices. The network did not seem to need the kind of processing power other coins need thrown at them. I don't have the technical knowledge to contribute but I will be sorry if it disappears.
d5000 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 14, 2015, 06:13:50 PM

I briefly looked at Timekoin last year because I found it interesting that you could run it on low power devices. The network did not seem to need the kind of processing power other coins need thrown at them. I don't have the technical knowledge to contribute but I will be sorry if it disappears.

For me, the advantage of Timekoin is that it honours stable full nodes. Even if Timekoin would die, I would like to see this principle applied to another coin. But I think it's too early to give up Timekoin, there seems to be a group of "believers" still that run a full node.

What I don't know if it's security model is fully sound. It has no proof of work, no proof of stake or proof of burn, and I don't know if the "transaction history checks" and the IP restriction are sufficient to prevent flood attacks. But one of these mechanisms surely could be added to the system.

Also, perhaps it would be good to make the coin more scarce. I have two ideas:
- limit the coins given out by generation event: e.g. 50.000 / event
- flexibilize the election events: if the queue is short, make the system decide to allow less elections, from a minimum of 1 per cycle if the last number of servers in the queue was 0, until a maximum defined by the actual algorithm.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
March 21, 2015, 03:43:51 PM

I don't know anything about Timekoin, but NightMB was arrested for allegedly blackmailing Mitt Romney, threatening to publish his tax returns: U.S. v. BROWN No. 3:13-00118.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
d5000 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 13, 2015, 11:48:24 PM

Thanks, that explains a lot, as he is the website maintainer and main developer behind Timekoin. I don't know how much he could be in prison for this charge (or if there is a chance he's finally declared not guilty, I must admit that I don't understand English good enough to read the legal documents).

So probably there would be a need for a new website/forum maintainer. There are still more than 20 servers generating, so perhaps there is a chance to find one.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
twinflame

Activity: 67
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 30, 2016, 01:23:00 PM

This is just to let you all know that a new version of Timekoin 3.61 has been released and that Timekoin and the forum is back online again Smiley .
cointron

Activity: 896
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 10:25:46 AM

This is just to let you all know that a new version of Timekoin 3.61 has been released and that Timekoin and the forum is back online again Smiley .

Yes!
twinflame

Activity: 67
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 28, 2017, 10:24:40 AM

The timekoin.org site is offline. There was talk about continuing with a fork or so, but I don't know the status. It's dead for now.
Festac

Activity: 210
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 02, 2020, 12:42:41 PM

Dead coin I guess, don't hope for a revival because they never worked out in the end, better look for other good coins and forget this piece of trash, next time be more friendly with top altcoins

freigeist

Activity: 1107
Merit: 534

View Profile
May 02, 2020, 04:33:37 PM

KnightMb should be released this month from prison. The sentence was on May 12th 2016.

So it means he was sentenced for 4 year in jail!
Why was he put in prison?

d5000 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 02, 2020, 07:15:34 PM

Dead coin I guess, don't hope for a revival because they never worked out in the end
Basically yes, the coin was simply too inflationary and the consensus mechanism is flawed (it is basically only a blockchain with a kind of "invite-model"). I'm not sure if it can be revived, perhaps adding a real PoW or PoS mechanism. I'm interested in it for historical reasons, because it was the first altcoin with entirely new source code.

KnightMb should be released this month from prison. The sentence was on May 12th 2016.
So it means he was sentenced for 4 year in jail!
Why was he put in prison?
I think it was this: https://kutv.com/news/local/tennessee-man-sentenced-in-mitt-romney-tax-return-extortion-scheme

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
funnow

Activity: 347
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2021, 08:34:13 AM

Hello to all TimeKoiners! Some good news are finally coming!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: