Bitcoin Forum
September 24, 2024, 02:50:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: SECURITY OF BITCOIN  (Read 1969 times)
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 4798

View Profile
February 14, 2015, 05:20:17 PM

I agree that its possible there are only two situations.
But as for (2), I wouldn't say that the exchanges manipulated the user to send the bitcoin.
Some exhanges are considered safe and trustworthly, currently, so people use them (day traders),and if one day an attacker compromises their code or someone on the inside steals the bitcoins, I think it would be considered privatekey control loss, over the manipulated loss. But I guess it could be considered both in that event.
When I stated (2), I was intending a reputable exchange/bank, that goes rouge, compared to an outright scam exchange (like what mycoin.hk, seems to have been).

Yes, but from the moment you sent your bitcoins to a exchange, you no longer own them. You are trusting that you will get back either bitcoins or dollars, but there's no 100% certainty.

So you are saying that "trusting that you will get back either bitcoins or dollars" is the manipulation?

I'd say that providing a false sense of security and presenting yourself as more capable of securing bitcoin funds against loss than you actually are is the manipulation.
AgentofCoin
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 14, 2015, 05:28:11 PM

I agree that its possible there are only two situations.
But as for (2), I wouldn't say that the exchanges manipulated the user to send the bitcoin.
Some exhanges are considered safe and trustworthly, currently, so people use them (day traders),and if one day an attacker compromises their code or someone on the inside steals the bitcoins, I think it would be considered privatekey control loss, over the manipulated loss. But I guess it could be considered both in that event.
When I stated (2), I was intending a reputable exchange/bank, that goes rouge, compared to an outright scam exchange (like what mycoin.hk, seems to have been).

Yes, but from the moment you sent your bitcoins to a exchange, you no longer own them. You are trusting that you will get back either bitcoins or dollars, but there's no 100% certainty.

So you are saying that "trusting that you will get back either bitcoins or dollars" is the manipulation?

I'd say that providing a false sense of security and presenting yourself as more capable of securing bitcoin funds against loss than you actually are is the manipulation.

So if such is all true, would the Decentralized Exchanges (which seems to be the new thing/phrase around here) be already considered manipulation?

I support a decentralized & unregulatable ledger first, with safe scaling over time.
Request a signed message if you are associating with anyone claiming to be me.
R2D221

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 14, 2015, 05:30:57 PM

Kind of, because it can't be 100% decentralized if you involve fiat money.

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
tss

Activity: 742

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 04:50:27 AM

bitcoin is secured in a den of thieves.  be warned don't trust anyone with your keys.  be responsible for your own coin, that is what it was designed for.
Cryptonitex

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 05:37:45 AM

Don't keep BitCoin in the hands of others. Make sure they are in a place where you trust them. Like a cold wallet that only YOU have access to.
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1011

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 10:01:33 AM

I am a beginner in using bitcoin but the event is worrying.

What do you think of what happened with this bitstamp and MtGox?
What do you think of this event:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/15/world/bank-hackers-steal-millions-via-malware.html

I assume you are now VERY concerned with the security of the Euro and Dollar?

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
ozycash

Activity: 288
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2015, 08:41:23 PM

btc is secure, those that get it stolen are either inside theft or the wallet owner give away information so somebody else can use the wallet!

the best faucet instant payment
cellard
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1252

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 11:55:44 PM

Hi,

Thank you for your help

It's people's fault for trusting a centralized amateur exchange. I only trust Gemini (winklevii) and its not out yet.
R2D221

Activity: 658

View Profile
February 16, 2015, 12:03:02 AM

Hi,

Thank you for your help

It's people's fault for trusting a centralized amateur exchange. I only trust Gemini (winklevii) and its not out yet.

You shouldn't trust exchanges more than necessary. I always empty my exchange accounts.

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
ikydesu

Activity: 686

fb.com/Bitky.shop | Bitcoin Merch!Premium Quality!

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2015, 05:55:04 AM

Hi,

Thank you for your help

https://bitcoin.org/en/faq
https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf

Better to don't store your btc on exchanger for long time Wink store on cold wallet, better to use hardware wallet. Check this out: https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: