Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 02:34:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Sending a "hamburger" through the blockchain  (Read 2100 times)
Eastfist (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2015, 09:49:25 PM

Since Bitcoin was conceived as a method to send some thing of value via the Interwebs, you could even send a hamburger or a house or a car or whatever. Granted, whoever receives it on the other end needs to find a vendor who will fulfill that object of value. Maybe 1 satoshi is worth a cup of clean water. So you could send a satoshi to someone on the other side of the world and they can get a cup of clean water as long as there is a vendor who will fulfill it. Of course, behind the abstraction, the value would be stored in bitcoin.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
axel2078

Activity: 532

View Profile
February 14, 2015, 10:35:53 PM

What is the point of this exactly? To say that you can buy stuff with bitcoin? 

R2D221

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 14, 2015, 10:49:44 PM

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
Eastfist (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2015, 11:16:33 PM

Woah, lets not get complicated with this, as an end user I just want a peanut to come out of my phone.

LOL. Exsmactly. That level of abstraction goes over some people's heads. Just like if you told them Bitcoin was made out of thin air and only gets value when backed by people with influence. So for now, I don't think I should have to elaborate further on the idea of sending hamburgers, or cars even, through the Internet.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
February 14, 2015, 11:18:57 PM

Yes, Bitcoin was created to represent value.  That's why it's called "money". 

Congratulations captain obvious.  Tongue

Eastfist (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 14, 2015, 11:25:06 PM

But I suppose if I have to add to it, by sending an "abstract object of value", you're defining a restriction on how it can be withdrawn. So if you send a hamburger, the recipient can only withdraw a hamburger. The vendor would get the bitcoins. You're essentially creating a coupon to be redeemed.
R2D221

View Profile
February 14, 2015, 11:31:32 PM

That would be a colored coin, but I see it more cumbersome than simply paying for the hamburger.

Brewins
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 12:16:55 AM

can't understand the point of your topic.

You want to send physical things over internet???

I doubt it will be doable until teleport is a widespread tech.
commandrix

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 01:01:21 AM

So if I understand you correctly, it would work like those places where you can buy a cup of coffee or chicken sandwich and put it "on hold" to be redeemed by anyone who requests it. Only you do it with Bitcoin. Here's an article that kind of explains how it works. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2301855/Charity-coffee-scheme-launches-UK-lets-drinkers-donate-lattes-need.html
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 01:06:52 AM

This thread was created for me.

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 02:01:30 AM

That would be a colored coin, but I see it more cumbersome than simply paying for the hamburger.
How do you seal the hamburger irl to only be eatable by the owner?
Eastfist (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2015, 02:17:34 AM

Maybe there's some kind of marker in the Bitcoin. You can only redeem it if you have the key.

can't understand the point of your topic.

You want to send physical things over internet???

I doubt it will be doable until teleport is a widespread tech.

We're not teleporting anything except electricity. I think I already explained how it would be done practically in the OP.

Again, this method's benefit is in that you wouldn't be sending Bitcoins (of money value) directly to the recipient. Well, technically you are, but there would be some indication that it is only redeemable for a hamburger or whatever object you specify. It's essentially a coupon or food stamp.
R2D221

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 03:12:36 AM

You would need a serial number for the hamburger. Synthetic food much?

AGD
Legendary

Activity: 2069
Merit: 1164

Keeper of the Private Key

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 09:51:20 AM

Connect Bitcoin with 3d printers. Right now you can already send a lot of "things" through the internet: guns and guitars are just the tip of the iceberg.

Bitcoin is not a bubble, it's the pin!
+++ GPG Public key FFBD756C24B54962E6A772EA1C680D74DB714D40 +++ http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x1C680D74DB714D40
R2D221

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 06:11:06 PM

Connect Bitcoin with 3d printers. Right now you can already send a lot of "things" through the internet: guns and guitars are just the tip of the iceberg.

While it's possible to print food, it's a very expensive and experimental technology, available only to institutions like NASA.

gutz

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 06:24:17 PM

While it's possible to print food, it's a very expensive and experimental technology, available only to institutions like NASA.

FTFY
R2D221

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 06:43:53 PM

FTFY

No need to fix it, thanks.

jeffhuys

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 06:48:40 PM

New at BurgerKingTM: BurgerCoinsTM!

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 08:09:03 PM

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if a million appcoin pumpers cried out in terror and were suddenly bankrupt.
gutz

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 08:10:59 PM

FTFY

No need to fix it, thanks.
What constitutes food printing in your mind and why do you think it's expensive?
Yeah if I recall there was a 250k euros hamburger that was printed/grown from stem cells , but it's a really blown up estimate due to the "experimental" side of things

Also why do you think only NASA have it? Have you heard of Reprap? Most if not all of NASA designs ( which are nothing special actually ) are open source so you're welcome to diy and contribute back to the community with your findings
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: