Bitcoin Forum
June 08, 2024, 05:46:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Hypothetical Q: Could Time Travel dumping kill Bitcoin in the long run?
yes - 21 (38.2%)
no - 29 (52.7%)
maybe (explain) - 5 (9.1%)
Total Voters: 55

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Could Time Travel Kill Bitcoin?  (Read 4570 times)
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4242
Merit: 4512

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 05:51:43 PM

if time travel was possible. then id write down the lottery numbers for the last 3 years and make sure i won every single one of them.

the total of 3 years worth of lotteries would far exceed the market cap of bitcoin

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
ikydesu

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

fb.com/Bitky.shop | Bitcoin Merch!Premium Quality!

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2015, 06:37:00 PM

Kill bitcoin is impossible if you can't find satoshi nakamoto first!
if i do time travel i will buy half coin Grin
jeffhuys

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 06:43:38 PM

Well apparently going back in time is impossible, so no.

Of course it is. Ever met a time traveller?

OR.... They keep it super-duper secret in the future and only the government or the person who found it first uses it.

gargantuar

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 06:44:44 PM

Time travel is real.  It is the reason we have Bitcoin.  It is a long story and more complicated than Occam's Razor would suggest but, to summarize, Satoshi (not his real name) is from the past AND the future and it is his sojourn in the future and his return to our epoch bearing Bitcoin (like Prometheus bought fire to mortals) that created the singularity in which we are now participating.  

The ride is not over yet.  Wait and see what the present holds...
pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 07:21:30 PM

Time travel is real.  It is the reason we have Bitcoin.  It is a long story and more complicated than Occam's Razor would suggest but, to summarize, Satoshi (not his real name) is from the past AND the future and it is his sojourn in the future and his return to our epoch bearing Bitcoin (like Prometheus bought fire to mortals) that created the singularity in which we are now participating.  

The ride is not over yet.  Wait and see what the present holds...
Makes sne, thats why he has to be anonymous.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 07:26:54 PM

So I just woke up from a dream about time travel and it had me thinking all sorts of questions...

If you could time travel and leave yourself a note "Mine and buy Bitcoin at cents each, then sell for 1,000 dollars each," and sign it so you know it's you from the future, what would happen?

1) Would you do it?

2) If you did, knowing it could be sold for 1,000 dollars, would you keep buying and buying as the price rose, and how much do you think you could make if it you sold it all or most of it for 1,000 dollars each?

3) What would that kind of heavy demand from the beginning do for Bitcoin, would it have rose much faster, and higher quicker?

4) What would that kind of amount of dumping, at 1,000 dollars each, do to the price?

5) Do you think you could kill Bitcoin, trying to dump that much?

6) If you could kill Bitcoin, would you still do it just to profit?

Yes, BTC could be eliminated.
Time travel could even kill all life on Earth and leave only scattered atoms and elements struggling to create primitive life.
ps. My real name is John Connor: "I'll be back"...  Cheesy

monkeygang

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 07:29:47 PM

if I could travel back in time I would put my money in the bank and cashout the interest

monkeygang.. you cant join. your already a member
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2015, 07:34:12 PM

Well apparently going back in time is impossible, so no.

Of course it is. Ever met a time traveller?

OR.... They keep it super-duper secret in the future and only the government or the person who found it first uses it.
What laws prevent it from being possible?
Obviously it's possible that by going back to the future you do not change the current timeline, but a new parallel one gets created. One that is dependent on the changes that you make to the world.

Time Travel could potentially kill everything, but not in our timeline.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
R2D221

Activity: 658

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 07:58:07 PM

You have the wrong perspective about this.

The person with the time machine can simulate a 51% attack (or even a 100% attack, in fact).

There's this miner, working hard to find a block. After say, two hours, she finds a block. Then she travels back in time to seconds after the previous block was found, and then she broadcasts her new block. No matter what happens, even if the difficulty is the highest possible, she will be able to wait for the new block and then broadcast it seconds after the previous.

This would also mean, after two weeks, the difficulty would increase unimaginably high, because what's supposed to happen every 10 minutes is happening every 10 seconds.

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
TTBit
Legendary

Activity: 1136
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 09:03:18 PM

I went back in time and gave you bitcoin. You don't want to know the alternative.

You're welcome

good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment
Possum577

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

Loose lips sink sigs!

View Profile WWW
February 15, 2015, 09:29:05 PM

If we could travel back in time we could fix the issues that Bitcoin was created to solve.

zimmah
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 10:26:36 PM

Not in the scenario you describe.

maybe in different scenarios.
Cryptonitex

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 10:29:14 PM

If you are from the future and you tell yourself to gain a lot of BitCoin now, and dump when you get to the future, it will kill it, but we hope that in the future that there will be no need to dump because we hope to use BitCoin for day to day things when it becomes less volatile.
Jbanna

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 10:30:12 PM

jeez guys--- if you had enough money TO AFFORD A TIME MACHINE-- i'm pretty sure you wouldn't have your mind on making a quick buck with bitcoin.
R2D221

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 10:33:21 PM

jeez guys--- if you had enough money TO AFFORD A TIME MACHINE-- i'm pretty sure you wouldn't have your mind on making a quick buck with bitcoin.

It could be done just for teh lulz.

MakingMoneyHoney (OP)

Activity: 504

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 10:49:26 PM

I had just woken up from a dream, lol. But I was thinking more like the movie Butterfly Effect, where he only gets minutes or seconds before going back to the present, and he can't bring anything with him like money to invest in banks, etc.
R2D221

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 10:52:09 PM

I had just woken up from a dream, lol. But I was thinking more like the movie Butterfly Effect, where he only gets minutes or seconds before going back to the present, and he can't bring anything with him like money to invest in banks, etc.

But what's your opinion on actually being able to attack Bitcoin using a time machine?

MakingMoneyHoney (OP)

Activity: 504

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 10:58:19 PM

But what's your opinion on actually being able to attack Bitcoin using a time machine?

I was thinking, that if someone could go back in time, tell themselves to purchase at pennies (mining too) and sell at 1,000, they'd probably end up being greedy and buy more. If you get into a situation like that, you're buying every Bitcoin that's being sold, the price would go up faster, and probably would go up higher, because more people would be interested in something that someone out there is paying THAT much for.

You'd want to make your payday when it hits 1,000, and dumping that many coins, might make Bitcoin's price fall, fast. HOWEVER, I don't think Bitcoin would die. I think Bitcoin's price would plummet, lower at one time, than we've seen. But, I think enough people would be into Bitcoin, because all the demand would make MORE people notice than they have so far. That somewhere out there someone would be ready to do their own buying frenzy.

So no, I don't think Bitcoin would be killed. But I do think the price would drop with that many being sold at one time.

And to answer my last question, if it would kill Bitcoin, I wouldn't do it.
R2D221

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 11:54:33 PM

I was thinking, that if someone could go back in time, tell themselves to purchase at pennies (mining too) and sell at 1,000, they'd probably end up being greedy and buy more. If you get into a situation like that, you're buying every Bitcoin that's being sold, the price would go up faster, and probably would go up higher, because more people would be interested in something that someone out there is paying THAT much for.

You'd want to make your payday when it hits 1,000, and dumping that many coins, might make Bitcoin's price fall, fast. HOWEVER, I don't think Bitcoin would die. I think Bitcoin's price would plummet, lower at one time, than we've seen. But, I think enough people would be into Bitcoin, because all the demand would make MORE people notice than they have so far. That somewhere out there someone would be ready to do their own buying frenzy.

So no, I don't think Bitcoin would be killed. But I do think the price would drop with that many being sold at one time.

And to answer my last question, if it would kill Bitcoin, I wouldn't do it.

You're talking about price manipulation, but my hypothetical Bitcoin attack involves actually disrupting the mining process:

You have the wrong perspective about this.

The person with the time machine can simulate a 51% attack (or even a 100% attack, in fact).

There's this miner, working hard to find a block. After say, two hours, she finds a block. Then she travels back in time to seconds after the previous block was found, and then she broadcasts her new block. No matter what happens, even if the difficulty is the highest possible, she will be able to wait for the new block and then broadcast it seconds after the previous.

This would also mean, after two weeks, the difficulty would increase unimaginably high, because what's supposed to happen every 10 minutes is happening every 10 seconds.

croato

Activity: 616

1BkEzspSxp2zzHiZTtUZJ6TjEb1hERFdRr

View Profile
February 16, 2015, 12:25:42 AM

Guess that time traveling is impossible so in my opinion answer is no.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: