Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 11:39:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Bter Exchange Cold Wallet return to zero....  (Read 5469 times)
verdun2003

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 03:01:59 PM

Will they be refunding all the stolen bitcoins or will declare bankcruptcy ?

Well, it's nearly 2 million USD that are "supposedly" stolen here.

Last time I checked, they were running 400 BTC daily volumes and had, if my memory serves, 0.5% trading fee
==> 2 BTC/day of turnover on their end to which you have to remove employee salaries, server costs, taxes etc...

Assuming generously that they have a 1 BTC/day net profit, this means 365 BTC per year, at current prices this is not even 100k USD.

Therefore, they will never refund the bitcoins they stole for themselves.

Whitehouse

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 04:02:04 PM

They will not be able to realistically return those coins even if they wanted to. They're done as an exchange now. Nobody will use them.

mishax1
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1017

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 04:04:20 PM

How the fuck can you lose 7000 bitcoins from a cold storage, and why on earth would you keep all the funds in 1 wallet ? who taught them to do security ?
haggis

Activity: 984
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 04:05:36 PM

I just hope they'll send the people responsible for this into prison this time...
BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 04:05:40 PM

7k Bitcoin minimum stolen 'by Bter' the shady exchange no one should have trusted  Roll Eyes Huh

wow 7k hacked that is pretty insane im guessing this is why the market dropped so hard today, people expecting dumps.
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 04:21:13 PM

7k Bitcoin minimum stolen 'by Bter' the shady exchange no one should have trusted  Roll Eyes Huh

wow 7k hacked that is pretty insane im guessing this is why the market dropped so hard today, people expecting dumps.

The various exchanges should start to use the multi-Sig function, an example of wallet that is using multiSing : GreenAddress ( this is their official thread here in the forum : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=521988.0).

I'm very impressive that a lot of exchanges are not using it.
BitCoinNutJob
Legendary

Activity: 1316

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 04:29:41 PM

The various exchanges should start to use the multi-Sig function, an example of wallet that is using multiSing : GreenAddress ( this is their official thread here in the forum : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=521988.0).

Makes you start thinking these hacks are staged if multisig is so easy to implement.  Roll Eyes
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 04:33:35 PM

Makes you start thinking these hacks are staged if multisig is so easy to implement.  Roll Eyes

I think it will be impossible to "send" coin from a multiSig bitcoin address, if you don't know at least 2 of the 3 private keys. If they will use the multiSig  (for their cold/hot wallet) I think this type of situation could be avoided.
mishax1
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1017

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 04:41:22 PM

At least we know that the alts are in place therefore we should at least get those back.  Angry
Soul_eater_123
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 06:36:34 PM

How the fuck can you lose 7000 bitcoins from a cold storage, and why on earth would you keep all the funds in 1 wallet ? who taught them to do security ?

Someone went in and stole the piece of paper with the private key for their cold storage on it:)
Soul_eater_123
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 06:41:25 PM

At least we know that the alts are in place therefore we should at least get those back.  Angry

That's not guaranteed.  It didn't happen with Mintpal - some people got their other coins back but many didn't.  For all we know the thieves may have access to other hot or "cold" wallets and just may be shifting the bitcoins first.  Or the people at BTER may be desperately selling what they have left in other wallets so they can get away with some money and start again (assuming it wasn't an inside job anyway).  Would be interesting to know how long they knew something was wrong.
Jukulangi

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 07:41:29 PM

Last time I checked, they were running 400 BTC daily volumes and had, if my memory serves, 0.5% trading fee
==> 2 BTC/day of turnover on their end to which you have to remove employee salaries, server costs, taxes etc...

Assuming generously that they have a 1 BTC/day net profit, this means 365 BTC per year, at current prices this is not even 100k USD.

by your statement
it is impossible for them back to bussiness
mamamae
Legendary

Activity: 1188
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 08:44:41 PM

sure thing after the last hacked nxt they had to rebuy them for 200btc and it was over 6-8 month ago
this is a little more difficult to regain control, they will pay as paycoin is doing
in 120 years or so is doable.

reality ? you fell to Scammers after being in an ICO , IPO
(more like any other stock and index in the world ICO or not got your portfolio down 25 % or 85 %)
Now  SEC is helping you getting back up your lost money maybe....
Glucose

Activity: 861
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 15, 2015, 10:59:50 PM

by your statement
it is impossible for them back to bussiness

That's insane.. 7k BTC.. They are out of business for sure and it's probably an inside job. As long as bitcoin will be full of scammers and thieves it will be impossible for it to go mainstream.. BTC need some regulation..
nomad13666
Legendary

Activity: 854

View Profile
February 16, 2015, 03:04:29 AM

You can't. Which is why everything points it to be an inside job.

Embezzlement  Angry
funnycoin

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 16, 2015, 04:14:32 AM

Where I can find a list of exchanges that have already implemented multiSig?
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
February 16, 2015, 04:32:59 AM

How is possible to stole btc from cold wallet?

Insider job?
fran2k

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
February 16, 2015, 05:31:23 AM

Someone said is time for the decentralized exchanges?
tss

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 16, 2015, 05:31:51 AM

Or someone discovered the private key !

yep.  discovered it in their lock box and decided to move the coin to another place, claim hacked, shutdown, profit.. woo hoo.  send you btc to another exchange you greedy fools.
acsonline

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 16, 2015, 06:13:56 AM
Last edit: February 16, 2015, 06:32:32 AM by acsonline

Once again lose of 18 btc + alt i am finished first matgox, then bfl, then gaw, then chris, then due to fucking scamer Angry  its last time i am dealing with international exchanges. Now i will try to find out local exchange Sad

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: