Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2017, 03:24:18 PM *
News: If the forum does not load normally for you, please send me a traceroute.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Quick question about the fees included in found blocks, do pools pay us these?  (Read 1275 times)
mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1134

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2012, 12:12:37 AM

Hey, after I was thinking about SatoshiDice and the amount of fees that it is paying into the network, I was wondering if pools pay out those fees to users in found blocks, or do you have to solo mine to take advantage of that?

Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218

Gerald Davis

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 12:13:46 AM

Depends on the pool.  Some do.  Some don't.

From personal experience IIRC Bitminter and p2pool both payout 100% of fees.

No idea if this is accurate but if it is it looks like only a small % of pools payout fees:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Comparison_of_mining_pools

Hmm: Bitminter is the largest no fee, hop proof pool which also pays out transaction fees.  I knew I liked them for some reason. Smiley
mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1134

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2012, 12:34:41 AM

Depends on the pool.  Some do.  Some don't.

From personal experience IIRC Bitminter and p2pool both payout 100% of fees.

No idea if this is accurate but if it is it looks like only a small % of pools payout fees:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Comparison_of_mining_pools

Hmm: Bitminter is the largest no fee, hop proof pool which also pays out transaction fees.  I knew I liked them for some reason. Smiley
Excellent!  I might move to Bitminter now...  I wish they were a little bigger, but at least they would get blocks with some decent frequency. 

p2pool also looks very tempting.  I would rather see p2pool become more powerful than any of them. 

After a google, I found this link that shows average fees per block..  Pretty out of date though, what do fees look like nowadays?

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218

Gerald Davis

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 01:53:09 AM

http://blockchain.info/charts/transaction-fees

Still pretty low.  ~20 to 30 BTC per day.  144 blocks per day.  So that works out to 0.25% to 0.50% extra.  Not much but one way to look at it is a pool which doesn't pay it has a "real" pool fee of up to 0.5% higher than reported.  If tx volume keeps growing after the subsidy cut I think it will be more important.  Fees could be 1% to 2% of total reward by December.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2128

View Profile
July 26, 2012, 04:08:03 AM

So that works out to 0.25% to 0.50% extra. 

Keep in mind that the miners that are not including the SatoshiDICE transactions are not receiving those fees.  Thus there's a little higher percentage from fees for Slush and others that don't reject the SatoshiDICE transactions.  It still represents a pretty small amount, but might be another factor that weighs when choosing a pool.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.