Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:36:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions about BFL - BitForce Jalapeno  (Read 16911 times)
unclemantis (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 11:33:29 PM

If the Jalapeno is going to be a coffee warmer, too, i think it should come in some cool colors like the little iPods have. Then i could give them as Christmas gifts and get more people interested in BitCoins.

I was hoping that if I happened to fall on a large sum of cash I could buy a shit ton of these devices and hide them in various public places that had free wifi.

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
glitch003

Activity: 219
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 02:06:50 PM

If the Jalapeno is going to be a coffee warmer, too, i think it should come in some cool colors like the little iPods have. Then i could give them as Christmas gifts and get more people interested in BitCoins.

I was hoping that if I happened to fall on a large sum of cash I could buy a shit ton of these devices and hide them in various public places that had free wifi.

Why? They barely consume any power and the risk of losing them somehow is very great. Its a pretty stupid idea.
nitrox

Activity: 136

tester

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 05:47:07 PM

did someone try BitForce Jalapeno already?

jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 06:45:01 PM

This would imply that they are delivering them!!!!

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw
Photon939

Activity: 452
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 29, 2012, 08:36:40 PM

You'll need to wait at least a month, release date is specced for end of October or early November
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 02:30:38 AM

It probably contains 1.2g of unobtainium

If that were possible it would have to renamed to obtainium, and we all know that is worthless.

Still think that was a stupid cliche of a movie.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
paperkat

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 30, 2012, 11:19:19 PM

I´m just getting into the mining game, just preordered the jalapeno:)

Can anyone make a educated guess if the 4.5GH/s machine is gonna be enough for solomining, atleast for the first weeks/months it comes out?
Not expecting any big returns, just hope i can break even in a couple of months or so:P

Woundering if its gonna be "stackable" aswell?
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 12:05:42 AM

Can anyone make a educated guess if the 4.5GH/s machine is gonna be enough for solomining, atleast for the first weeks/months it comes out?
Not expecting any big returns, just hope i can break even in a couple of months or so:P

Well, since it is a low power draw type of device, relatively speaking, you can afford to have it mine for years at a time without thinking about.  So one may as well solo mine.
Sam

paperkat

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 12:17:42 AM

Well, since it is a low power draw type of device, relatively speaking, you can afford to have it mine for years at a time without thinking about.  So one may as well solo mine.
Sam

Well i am planning to have it run 24/7, and i dont have to pay for electricity atm(student apartment), so the electricity bill wont be a issue for now atleast.
Dunno if i should mine solo when i get the machine, or in a pool, i guess there is no way to answer that question atm tho..
jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 12:24:39 AM

Well, since it is a low power draw type of device, relatively speaking, you can afford to have it mine for years at a time without thinking about.  So one may as well solo mine.
Sam

Well i am planning to have it run 24/7, and i dont have to pay for electricity atm(student apartment), so the electricity bill wont be a issue for now atleast.
Dunno if i should mine solo when i get the machine, or in a pool, i guess there is no way to answer that question atm tho..

there is a way, but you have to use some conjuncture about starting diffs and %increase.

In my calcs i have been using 3.5M as a diff if they come out in november.

at 3.5M diff it will take a 4.5G rig to find a block on avg 39 days.

within in about a month or so, the diff will most likely be about 40M. at 40M it will take a 4.5G rig  440 days on avg to find a block......

edit:  but after another few weeks.. what do you think the diff will be then?  50M. 70, 90 ?

I think you should consider mining in a pool

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw
Jack1Rip1BurnIt

Activity: 350

Trust me, these default swaps will limit the risks

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 03:05:13 AM

I think you should consider mining in a pool

This

Successful trades with bels, misterbigg, ChrisNelson, shackleford, geniusboy91, and Isokivi.
Photon939

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 03:47:44 AM

I wouldn't recommend solo mining unless your hashrate gives you the probability of finding a block within 2 weeks (approximate time for difficulty retarget)
paperkat

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 08:54:41 AM

Alrighty, pool mining it is!

Btw, thought of something else,i´m assuming the jalapeno is gonna be a USB connected device to my PC, since i have 2.0 USB interface on my laptop, is there gonna be any bandwidth limitations? with other words will i be able to use all the full 4.5GH/s power of the device?

And, how hard is it gonna be to configure it, if you look at previous devices? Does it have its own OS, or is just considered a external device u can select in the mining tool you use?
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 10:41:13 AM

Alrighty, pool mining it is!

Btw, thought of something else,i´m assuming the jalapeno is gonna be a USB connected device to my PC, since i have 2.0 USB interface on my laptop, is there gonna be any bandwidth limitations? with other words will i be able to use all the full 4.5GH/s power of the device?

And, how hard is it gonna be to configure it, if you look at previous devices? Does it have its own OS, or is just considered a external device u can select in the mining tool you use?

Be sure to let us know when you find out.

Photon939

View Profile
October 01, 2012, 11:46:14 AM

USB 2.0 will have plenty of bandwidth, even the currently available FPGA based mini-rigs get you about 25 Ghash and they have no issues running on USB 2.0 AFAIK.

The new products will likely use the same or a very similar software suite to the FPGA units. They appear as a device in hardware manager and communicate through BFL's proprietary mining software or some of the freely available mining software that is modified to work with FPGA units (Im sure these will be updated for ASIC shortly after the devs get their hands on a unit)
Maniac479

Activity: 69

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 12:51:59 AM

Who's going to be the first person to get one of these?
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 02:52:57 AM

Who's going to be the first person to get one of these?

Those with an order number in the first 150 of 12000  Grin

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
NEO2012

Activity: 162
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 08:32:09 PM

For $150 it seems like a nice novelty item to have. May not get any rewards with it but it is a nice conversation piece to have.

Is this self sustaining or does it rely on my PC?

http://news.yahoo.com/butterfly-labs-announces-next-generation-asic-lineup-054626776.html

I HOPE U DID GET A REFUND BY NOW

IF U EVER WANT TO SEE UR MONEY BACK:)

JSUT SAYIN
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: