Bitcoin Forum
June 08, 2024, 07:36:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Iceland jails former Kaupthing bank bosses  (Read 1047 times)
ajareselde (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
February 16, 2015, 03:50:41 PM

Source:
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-25349240

Four former bosses from the Icelandic bank Kaupthing have been sentenced to between three and five years in prison.

They are the former chief executive, the chairman of the board, one of the majority owners and the chief executive of the Luxembourg branch.

They were accused of hiding the fact that a Qatari investor bought a stake in the firm with money lent - illegally - by the bank itself.

Kaupthing collapsed in 2008 under the weight of huge debts.

For years, Kaupthing and other Icelandic banks had aggressively pursued overseas expansion plans, but when they went into administration, they brought the country's economy to its knees.

Just a few weeks before the collapse, Kaupthing announced that Sheikh Mohammed Bin Khalifa Bin Hamad al-Thani had bought a 5.1% stake during the financial crisis in 2008.

The move was seen as a confidence boost for the bank.
--

The war on banks has begun. I just hope more countrys follow this great example.
pattu1

Activity: 675
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 16, 2015, 04:53:17 PM

The war on banks has begun. I just hope more countrys follow this great example.

Tough to see it happening in countries where banks have a lot of influence on politicians.
A great start, nevertheless.
bitgeek

Activity: 462
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 16, 2015, 06:22:07 PM

Nicely done. Iceland has shown independency during their debt crisis. A small, but stubborn country that has shown the rest of the world how to deal with bullies.

███████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████

Online.BTC.Bingo

.*500%.CASH.BACK.+.INSTANT.BONUS
..PROGRESSIVE.JACKPOT
..NO-DOWNLOAD.CLIENT

EPIC.FUN.
ajareselde (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 16, 2015, 08:37:01 PM

Nicely done. Iceland has shown independency during their debt crisis. A small, but stubborn country that has shown the rest of the world how to deal with bullies.

Do u think someone else is going to follow their example, i sure hope so. I was reading in the past that this isnt their forst attack on bankers.
They sure did recognize their worst enemy of the people and the economy. Stubborn, maybe, but they have my respect :]
Slark
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 16, 2015, 11:18:59 PM

Do you realize that Iceland is only populated by little over 300.000 of people? It it easier to govern 300.000 people that 300.000.000 country. Also people tend to be less corrupted in smaller communities. I bet in USA big money can buy you freedom in almost every case. Most people who should be in jail are holding the position of power... How can we change it?
ajareselde (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 16, 2015, 11:30:49 PM

Do you realize that Iceland is only populated by little over 300.000 of people? It it easier to govern 300.000 people that 300.000.000 country. Also people tend to be less corrupted in smaller communities. I bet in USA big money can buy you freedom in almost every case. Most people who should be in jail are holding the position of power... How can we change it?

So whats your answer? Just bow down and do nothing? There are allways ways to fight injustice. What we have today is nothing more than a modern version of slavery, and all slavery
was fought and eliminated in history , and so will this one, it just takes enough people to create critical mass.
Imagine if all black slaves thought same like you, where would they be? and where are they now; on the president seat of one of the most powerful country..
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 01:41:08 AM

If this were possible in the United States you could probably fill up entire facilities of prisons here. It would be absolutely laughable with what these guys have and continually get away with, if it wasn't so tragic.
u9y42
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 1071

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 02:31:32 AM

The way I see it, moving to remove or reform money in politics, would be a step in the right direction - that is, by greatly lessening or entirely removing the overwhelming influence large concentrations of power have over the political system, perhaps replacing it with public financing instead, as happens in many other countries. Now, that is certainly not a magic bullet to solve all problems in society, but I think it would make further changes in the interest of the majority of the people far easier.

I have often posted this, but here it goes again: there are already several groups seeking to do something along those lines - the guys at The Young Turks with Wolf-PAC (http://www.wolf-pac.com), and Larry Lessig with Mayday PAC, to name a few.
pattu1

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 04:16:02 AM

If this were possible in the United States you could probably fill up entire facilities of prisons here. It would be absolutely laughable with what these guys have and continually get away with, if it wasn't so tragic.

If what I have seen in the movie Wolf of Wall Street is any indication (it is supposed to be based on a true story, isn't it?), bankers in the US have nothing to worry.  Grin
Chef Ramsay
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 04:36:09 AM

If what I have seen in the movie Wolf of Wall Street is any indication (it is supposed to be based on a true story, isn't it?), bankers in the US have nothing to worry.  Grin
The interesting thing is that it's been proven through the bankers' movements/crimes that they can do no harm and are out of the bounds of the arresting parties. Why is that? This network is entrenched and lobbied in the highest parts of government. The pathetic representatives, that supposedly rep the people, are bought and paid for and have long abandoned the average person. Here we are yet I'm willing to be proven otherwise.
Divinespark

Activity: 938
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 05:52:32 AM

About time. The Icelandic banks really lost it at one point and plunged the entire nation into chaos.
Banksters

.AMEPAY..
█  FAST
█  CONVENIENT
█  SECURE
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄█████████▀▀▄▀▀█████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
███████  ▀▀█▄██▀▀▄███████
███████ █ ▄ █ ▄▀▀▄███████
████████ █ █ █ ▄▀▀▄████████
▀█████████▄█ █ ▄██████████▀
▀████████  ▀▀▀  ████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
||$600,000
worth of AME
!
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄█████████▀▀▄▀▀█████████▄

▄██████▄▄█▀ ▀█▄▄██████▄
███████  ▀▀█▄██▀▀▄███████
███████ █ ▄ █ ▄▀▀▄███████
████████ █ █ █ ▄▀▀▄████████
▀█████████▄█ █ ▄██████████▀
▀████████  ▀▀▀  ████████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
grendel25
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1031

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 06:23:56 AM

I hope that catches on here in the states.  Bankers think they are untouchable and get away with awful things.

..EPICENTRAL .....
..EPIC: Epic Private Internet Cash..
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████████████▀▀█████▄
▄████████████▀▀▀    ██████▄
████████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ████████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
▀████████▌▐       ████████▀
▀████████ ▄██▄  ████████▀
▀█████████████▄███████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████▀█████▀████████▄
▄██████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀██████▄
██████▌             ▐██████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
▀█████▄  ▄▄     ▄▄  ▄█████▀
▀██████▄▄███████▄▄██████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
[/center]
pattu1

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 11:12:01 AM

The interesting thing is that it's been proven through the bankers' movements/crimes that they can do no harm and are out of the bounds of the arresting parties. Why is that? This network is entrenched and lobbied in the highest parts of government. The pathetic representatives, that supposedly rep the people, are bought and paid for and have long abandoned the average person. Here we are yet I'm willing to be proven otherwise.

Found this on the net (little dated but serves the purpose). The bankers are really well entrenched.  Grin
https://prof77.wordpress.com/politics/an-updated-list-of-goldman-sachs-ties-to-the-obama-government-including-elena-kagan/

ajareselde (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 03:24:57 PM

Found this on the net (little dated but serves the purpose). The bankers are really well entrenched.  Grin
https://prof77.wordpress.com/politics/an-updated-list-of-goldman-sachs-ties-to-the-obama-government-including-elena-kagan/

Yes, and with every new day it becomes more and more obvious that one thing goes with the other, they're protecting themselves, and once again get a chance to rip-off little guy.
There is 0 chance of democracy here, and the only way to stop this is to fight them any way we can. Cutting banking fees and charges by adopting bitcoin is just one of them.

cheers
Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 03:33:19 PM

Good start. I hope we can see much more similar cases with more serious penalties if justifiable.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: