Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 01:34:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Electric Vehicles and Access to Free 480/200amp & AC 240v/40 amp chargers  (Read 2936 times)
EvBitcoinFan (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 16, 2015, 04:28:47 PM

I feel like Bitcoin and EV could go well together. What is the possibility of taking electric vehicles and drawing power from them to power mining hardware and/or plugging in the actual connectors of charging stations into something to power the miners?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin addresses contain a checksum, so it is very unlikely that mistyping an address will cause you to lose money.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
February 16, 2015, 04:35:27 PM

all the heat could already be used for something useful, i don't know if knc is using their heat for something useful other than heat their mega farm
EvBitcoinFan (OP)

View Profile
February 16, 2015, 04:47:56 PM

all the heat could already be used for something useful, i don't know if knc is using their heat for something useful other than heat their mega farm

I'm having dreams of heating up my freezing EV vehicle in these temps being warmed up by mining hardware in the back on the way to the next DC charging station Smiley

os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
February 18, 2015, 06:59:02 PM

On the subject of electric cars, where electricity is generated by coal, which is the overwhelming majority of electric generation, 3.5 times the amount of pollutants are put in the air than if you used a standard gas car.

Funny how gas is cleaner than electric, in most places.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
February 18, 2015, 09:58:40 PM

On the subject of electric cars, where electricity is generated by coal, which is the overwhelming majority of electric generation, 3.5 times the amount of pollutants are put in the air than if you used a standard gas car.

Funny how gas is cleaner than electric, in most places.

Here is the most recent breakdown for 2013:
Coal 39%
Natural Gas 27%
Nuclear 19%
Hydropower 7%
Other Renewable 6%
Biomass 1.48%
Geothermal 0.41%
Solar 0.23%
Wind 4.13%
Petroleum 1%
Other Gases < 1%

So yeah Coal has a bit but not that much,but renewable resources give us 38.25% so about just as much as coal so it is pretty even.

What are you calling renewable?  By my count from your list the renewables are less than 20%, I didn't think they were that high.  Nuclear might be considered a renewable, but as far as I know none of the Breeder/4th generation reactors have been built which could continually reuse the fuel for the life of the reactor.

os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
February 18, 2015, 11:26:33 PM

I am counting Nuclear due to the reason at current technical advancements and current rate of consumption we have 200 years left with our uranium, with the newer models and the possibility of thorium being used seems to not be an issue or at least in the same category as the large pollution fossil fuels.

Only 200 years of Uranium left?  Never heard that.  Are you talking about Uranium still in the ground?  Or the waste from current reactors that can be used in the yet to be built new generation reactors?

Also don't forget about that Plutonium from decommissioned nuclear weapons is being used in newer reactors.

EvBitcoinFan (OP)

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 04:40:26 AM

Millions of gas vehicles is not cleaner than running the electric equivalent. Just increasing cancer levels for all of us. The power generation of electricity varies by state and country and the move to Electric cars will clean up our air bottom line all while power generation itself is also moving in that direction. Even the manufacturing process of electric cars is cleaner.

Though a bit off topic, as putting some more research into the idea of running a mobile Bitcoin farm is turning into something very feasible and a cool concept to show around having a mini bitcoin mining farm (15th/s) in a zero emissions vehicle.
buysolar

Activity: 125
Merit: 12

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 11:36:21 PM

What are you thinking about getting a tesla and camping out at one of their free for life rapid charge stations? I wonder what their terms of service agreement has to say about something like that? 40kwh constant at 10cents/kwh would be worth about ~$35k a year. With tesla's 1.7% finance plan, they would be paying you about ~$25k/yr to sit at their charging station 24/7. (this analysis assumes that you're able to mine 10cents/kwh x 40kwh 24/7 of btc + the cost of equipment + any efficiency losses).   

Really looking forward to all of the nuclear and coal plants being shut down. Just think... it was only a decade or 2 ago that coal represented nearly 60% of the US energy supply.  Clean safe energy technologies are definitely on the rise. Shame the US just wasted over $50billion on 2 nuclear plants that will never pay for themselves.
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
February 20, 2015, 02:01:31 PM

Millions of gas vehicles is not cleaner than running the electric equivalent.

In places where electricity is generated by coal, electric cars put 3.5 time more pollutants in the environment than gasoline powered cars and most electricity is generated by coal.

How many people research and see how electricity is generated where the live?  Cities where they use Hydro I guess it would be a good idea.  But that is the exception and not the rule.

os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
February 20, 2015, 02:05:21 PM

Really looking forward to all of the nuclear and coal plants being shut down.

I fully agree with the coal plants being shut down.  But why nuclear?  We can now build nuclear plants that generate no waste and do not melt down.  That makes them clean and safe.  Also material from old nuke weapons are being used in nuclear reactors.  What an excellent way of getting rid of these dangerous weapons.

najzenmajsen

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 20, 2015, 05:21:26 PM

I fully agree with the coal plants being shut down.  But why nuclear?  We can now build nuclear plants that generate no waste and do not melt down.  That makes them clean and safe.  Also material from old nuke weapons are being used in nuclear reactors.  What an excellent way of getting rid of these dangerous weapons.
we can build nuclear plants that generate no waste ? ! O_o
what the fk have i missed please link me to an article or smth
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
February 20, 2015, 05:58:58 PM

I saw it on a documentary.  There is a new type of, yet to be built, breeder reactor that continually reuses the fuel for the life of the plant.  I was reading on wikipedia, a little, and hadn't found an exact reference yet.  But reactor technology has came a long way and the United States is behind it seems.

buysolar

Activity: 125
Merit: 12

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 03:37:31 AM

os2sam apparently drank the Koolaid (jim jones brand, not to be confused with the stuff john lennon was drinking when he wrote imagine) and is just regurgitating the propaganda that he was told.
US just dropped 50billion on 2 nuclear plants that will probably never produce any energy(too dangerous to run, every nuclear plant should have been shut down years ago), for the same money we could put up twice as much solar power and have it all running in less than a year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUPPWIzuOR0
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 04:12:40 AM

os2sam apparently drank the Koolaid (jim jones brand, not to be confused with the stuff john lennon was drinking when he wrote imagine) and is just regurgitating the propaganda that he was told.
US just dropped 50billion on 2 nuclear plants that will probably never produce any energy(too dangerous to run, every nuclear plant should have been shut down years ago), for the same money we could put up twice as much solar power and have it all running in less than a year.

There is nothing stopping people from putting up solar panels and grid tied systems.  I was on track to do the same myself before I got laid off a few years ago due the the economy and cutbacks.

But it just isn't cost efficient for utility companies to go all solar, if it were they certainly would have.  As for the documentary, while it was a pro nuclear one, as they stated up front, the technology has improved allot, there is just no denying that.  Not sure what plants your talking about but I would like to find out.

Solar is a great solution for home owners.  But to put up enough panels to power a city would be impossible.

najzenmajsen

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 03:28:34 PM

There is nothing stopping people from putting up solar panels and grid tied systems.  I was on track to do the same myself before I got laid off a few years ago due the the economy and cutbacks.

But it just isn't cost efficient for utility companies to go all solar, if it were they certainly would have.  As for the documentary, while it was a pro nuclear one, as they stated up front, the technology has improved allot, there is just no denying that.  Not sure what plants your talking about but I would like to find out.

Solar is a great solution for home owners.  But to put up enough panels to power a city would be impossible.
documentaries arent always true tho , i dont live in the us i live in europe , and ive never heard about such thing.
SargeR33

Activity: 112

★Bitin.io★ - Instant Exchange

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 11:51:31 PM

Nuclear power is probably the way of the future. I don't know why Australia isn't investing much research into this, considering we are sitting on one of the biggest uranium deposits.

But OP's gotta an interesting idea, use generated electricity to generate power to run miners while you drive.

os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 07:37:37 PM

documentaries arent always true tho , i dont live in the us i live in europe , and ive never heard about such thing.

Maybe, but because this particular one goes against a noisy minorities political point of veiw doesn't make if false either.  What difference does living in Europe make?

The Documentary I'm talking about is called Pandora's Promise.  It is a facile explanation of the subject, but it wasn't intended to be an in depth technical explanation either.  I wish it were, I like the technology portion of these topics much better myself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora%27s_Promise

Wikipedia actually has a nice article with allot of links to the different topic brought up in it.  I'm still reading through them.

os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 07:39:16 PM

But OP's gotta an interesting idea, use generated electricity to generate power to run miners while you drive.

Well he was talking about exploiting the free electricity provided with the sale of the vehicle to mine with.  At best the idea is morally wrong in the worst case it's illegal.

SargeR33

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 10:36:36 AM

Well he was talking about exploiting the free electricity provided with the sale of the vehicle to mine with.  At best the idea is morally wrong in the worst case it's illegal.

Lol and here I am thinking he would like to run his miner within his vehicle. Which is absolutely possible. A car can generate up to 170A while running depending on the alternator and if the car has other mechanics to generate electricity(braking etc). Run a wireless adapter in the car, connect your miners in the boot and you've got your self a heater and free mining for the 5hr drive ahead!

I don't appreciate the huge number of miners claiming they have access to free power when its really just stolen electricity. Power can never be free.

SargeR33

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 11:17:05 PM

Lol and here I am thinking he would like to run his miner within his vehicle. Which is absolutely possible. A car can generate up to 170A while running depending on the alternator and if the car has other mechanics to generate electricity(braking etc). Run a wireless adapter in the car, connect your miners in the boot and you've got your self a heater and free mining for the 5hr drive ahead!

I don't appreciate the huge number of miners claiming they have access to free power when its really just stolen electricity. Power can never be free.
Power can be free as in the sense you don't pay for it monetarily but it varies on how much, I mean anyone can produce electric through either solar or kinetic energy but free is the question, are we counting the initial cost of time and panels or just the electricity produced?

The only way I can see power being free is not true free. I've rented racks in the data centre down here before. We are allocated bandwidth, space and there is no limit placed on electricity consumption as it is all included in the monthly fee.

As you suggest, if you install a 10kw solar setup, which mind you won't be enough to run a big mining setup all day every day, its gonna cost you between 8 - 14 grand in Australia depending on components. Anything bigger again is more expensive. That is now 10k you've spent on free electricity and since its not going back into the grid, its gonna take you a VERY long time to ROI relying on bitcoin alone and staying under 40kw power usage a day and this is assuming optimal sun every day.

Plugging a machine in where you work, or sneaking a miner or 10 into the office is not free power either, its illegal and theft of utility resource. Just 2 days ago a house in Sydney was stormed. No one lived there but there was $200,000 worth of marajuana growing in the house. It was stealing power to fuel the hydroponic setup and lighting system. They got charged for mass cultivation and stealing electricity.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: