Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:21:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Blockchain download completed, Bitcoin started downloading again from scratch  (Read 1964 times)
chuck2go (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 16, 2015, 09:32:25 PM

Newbie to Bitcoin & Ubuntu

Installed bitcoin core V0.9.4.0 32 bit without issues on Ubuntu 14.04. I started bitcoin and the blockchain downloaded after about 5 days. It was synch'd and apparently done. I closed the application, then re-started it later. Bitcoin started the download again from scratch (6+ years behind).
What did I do wrong?
Tried again, this time using a torrent download which completed. I put the bootstrap.dat in the data directory and started bitcoin. The bootstrap file looks like it was recognized and the import is ongoing.
Is there something I should do when the import is complete to avoid the same thing happening?

Thanks
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1301

View Profile
February 16, 2015, 10:10:22 PM

It sounds like it could have been run from a different user or different location.  You can look and see if you have two copies of the blockchain etc somewhere. 

One thing you might try is upgrading to 0.10.0 since it will download a whole lot faster.  (I don't think the Ubuntu repositories are updated to 0.10.0 yet though).

Madness

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

My goal is becaming a billionaire.

View Profile WWW
February 17, 2015, 06:56:49 AM

For now , simply wait Importing the blocks from the blockchain file and see how it goes . Note that it may start Synchrozning with the network once few weeks are left because that Blockchain may not be fully updated . So just let it going and wait till everything finishs and you should get a green icon (like check icon) says "Up To Date" . then all should be fine .
If note , try to download the latest stable version which is 0.10.0 and it came out Yesterday . Download link => https://bitcoin.org/bin/0.10.0/

~ Madness

chuck2go (OP)

View Profile
February 18, 2015, 06:33:15 PM

Thanks for the help, all.

My second blockchain download (jump-started by the torrent) is finally coming to a close as it is now only 4 days behind. I am wondering if it might be a benefit to archive the "blocks" directory when complete and store it somewhere else. Would this be practical? If so, what method should I follow?

Thanks
Madness

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2015, 06:35:23 PM

Thanks for the help, all.

My second blockchain download (jump-started by the torrent) is finally coming to a close as it is now only 4 days behind. I am wondering if it might be a benefit to archive the "blocks" directory when complete and store it somewhere else. Would this be practical? If so, what method should I follow?

Thanks

I personally would advice you to simply keep a copy of the Boostrap.dat file backup Instead of the whole Blocks files .
and in case of something goes wrong , just put the Boostrap file on the Bitcoin Directory so the Bitcoin Core wallet import from Disk and Synchro with the network whatever is left .

~ Madness

chuck2go (OP)

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 02:27:32 PM

The download finished - closed and re-opened. This time it just verified blocks. Looks like it works!
Thanks
Madness

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2015, 02:36:42 PM

The download finished - closed and re-opened. This time it just verified blocks. Looks like it works!
Thanks

You are welcome mate .
You should see a green icon at the bottom right of the GUI once everything is good and downloaded. Good luck

~ Madness

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: