Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 05:40:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Satoshi describing the essence of Cryptonote in 2010  (Read 1514 times)
kazuki49 (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 11:55:34 AM

I'm not grasping your idea yet.  Does it hide any information from the public network?  What is the advantage?

If at least 50% of nodes validated transactions enough that old transactions can be discarded, then everyone saw everything and could keep a record of it.

Can public nodes see the values of transactions?  Can they see which previous transaction the value came from?  If they can, then they know everything.  If they can't, then they couldn't verify that the value came from a valid source, so you couldn't take their generated chain as verification of it.

Does it hide the bitcoin addresses?  Is that it?  OK, maybe now I see, if that's it.

Crypto may offer a way to do "key blinding".  I did some research and it was obscure, but there may be something there.  "group signatures" may be related.

There's something here in the general area:
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hopwood/crypto/rh/

What we need is a way to generate additional blinded variations of a public key.  The blinded variations would have the same properties as the root public key, such that the private key could generate a signature for any one of them.  Others could not tell if a blinded key is related to the root key, or other blinded keys from the same root key.  These are the properties of blinding.  Blinding, in a nutshell, is x = (x * large_random_int) mod m.

When paying to a bitcoin address, you would generate a new blinded key for each use.

Then you need to be able to sign a signature such that you can't tell that two signatures came from the same private key.  I'm not sure if always signing a different blinded public key would already give you this property.  If not, I think that's where group signatures comes in.  With group signatures, it is possible for something to be signed but not know who signed it.

As an example, say some unpopular military attack has to be ordered, but nobody wants to go down in history as the one who ordered it.  If 10 leaders have private keys, one of them could sign the order and you wouldn't know who did it.

About Satoshi Nakamoto: He is from Hong Kong, and still there, 40-50 years old, accounting/economics and programming background, he used an early Bitcoin vulnerability to move funds using other people wallets so it would never be tracked back to him, later he "fixed" the "vulnerability".
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 04:54:48 PM

About Satoshi Nakamoto: He is from Hong Kong, and still there, 40-50 years old, accounting/economics and programming background, he used an early Bitcoin vulnerability to move funds using other people wallets so it would never be tracked back to him, later he "fixed" the "vulnerability".

How do yo ueven know where satoshi nakamoto is right now tho?
manselr
Legendary

Activity: 868
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 05:18:23 PM

Isn't Cryptonote the technology used by Monero? I think its genius and superior to bitcoin in pure anonymity. Not very marketable for mainstream use tho.
bloodDiamond

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 05:44:49 PM

may not be Nakamoto !!!
how do you say it's him?
pereira4
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1183

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 06:53:40 PM

may not be Nakamoto !!!
how do you say it's him?
Anyone claiming to know where Satoshi Nakamoto is is straight BS'ing.
SmoothCurves

Activity: 379
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 09:58:21 PM

Isn't Cryptonote the technology used by Monero? I think its genius and superior to bitcoin in pure anonymity. Not very marketable for mainstream use tho.

Yes precisely. Monero is a cryptonote coin.
Jeremycoin
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

𝓗𝓞𝓓𝓛

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 10:31:38 PM

Are you sure about this, and how do you know about this?  Huh
About the location and the age... etc

faucet used to be profitable
smiletyson

Activity: 661
Merit: 509

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 10:36:49 PM

Another shitpost about bitcoin & satoshi and praises "monero".
Please, don't do that.
neurotypical

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 10:47:49 PM

Satoshi Nakamoto could be anyone, you just came up with that out of nowhere I assume, since you said so without delivering any proof.
In any case, i wouldn't be surprised in satoshi contributed to cryptonote anonymously.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 10:56:55 PM

About Satoshi Nakamoto: He is from Hong Kong, and still there, 40-50 years old

or maybe he's from England and he currently lives in Manhattan and he's 62.

Or she's Russian and 26.

unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
August 03, 2015, 10:58:01 PM

I'd pay a load of coins to have the same sources as you do in what regards information about Satoshi... Cheesy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: