Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 06:20:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ETA for the ETF? (and Gemini Exchange speculation)  (Read 21087 times)
tss

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 03:02:49 AM

ETF is so hyped right now like it's the only hope btc has to go up... if that doesn't work I don't even want to imagine what could happen.

uhmm.. nothing.  no one really cares about the etf.  people will be buying shares in the twins btc not everyone else's.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hyphymikey

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 03:13:27 AM

ETF is so hyped right now like it's the only hope btc has to go up... if that doesn't work I don't even want to imagine what could happen.

uhmm.. nothing.  no one really cares about the etf.  people will be buying shares in the twins btc not everyone else's.

Each share of the ETF represents X amount of bitcoins. Once the shares are sold and the ETF becomes a success, the Winklevii will then buy more bitcoin in order to produce more shares, just like every IPO. As the price rises from the buying of the coins the shares will also increase in price.
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 08:37:19 AM

[1] - in case you hadn't noticed, that's how all ETFs work

[2] - what you actually mean is that "no one [in the bitcoin world] really cares about the etf", but no one [in the real world] cares what bitcoiners think.

"Bitcoiners" are not the ETF's intended market, Wall Street investors are and they're not interested in trading the underlying goods directly - whether it be gold, oil, cattle or bitcoins.

They want paper.
okthen

Activity: 490

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 11:19:03 AM

Well, maybe many around here don't care about it as in wanting to use it, but certainly on the Speculation sub forum we care about bitcoin's price... and happening or not, the ETF will have an impact in the price, even if temporarily.
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 11:31:45 AM

Maybe the bitcoin will dead //sarcasm,

However the another way could be the "halving", I think after the next block reward halving the price will go up (at least a little bit). I don't see another way to the "rise" of the bitcoin price, this time China can't help.
I see it more as a war of news that has the most influence on the BTC price, in the last year or so. On hand you have negative news: exchange hacked, stolen coins, coins coming from illegal businesses, etc. On the positive side you have: ETF story, halving, Chinese investors, etc. Pretty much all the same arguments since quite long time. Rinse and repeat.   

Yes the 2015 hasn't begun in a "good way", too much "hack" and too much lies. I don't know if the ETF will rise the bitcoin price but I'm still believing in this technology (or better killer app) and its name is bitcoin.
HarmonLi

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

Honest 80s business!

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 12:35:50 PM

However the another way could be the "halving", I think after the next block reward halving the price will go up (at least a little bit). I don't see another way to the "rise" of the bitcoin price, this time China can't help.
I see it more as a war of news that has the most influence on the BTC price, in the last year or so. On hand you have negative news: exchange hacked, stolen coins, coins coming from illegal businesses, etc. On the positive side you have: ETF story, halving, Chinese investors, etc. Pretty much all the same arguments since quite long time. Rinse and repeat.   

Yes the 2015 hasn't begun in a "good way", too much "hack" and too much lies. I don't know if the ETF will rise the bitcoin price but I'm still believing in this technology (or better killer app) and its name is bitcoin.

In my opinion those occurrences have mostly been necessary for Bitcoin to grow up - 'growing pains' so to say. We need to get rid of illicit and scammy exchanges rather sooner than later if we want Bitcoin to be taken seriously. It's a good thing gox went down a year ago and it's a good thing Stamp has learned to improve their exchange the medium-hard way. They won't be making the same mistake again!

ThatDGuy

Activity: 728

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 03:54:40 PM

In my opinion those occurrences have mostly been necessary for Bitcoin to grow up - 'growing pains' so to say. We need to get rid of illicit and scammy exchanges rather sooner than later if we want Bitcoin to be taken seriously. It's a good thing gox went down a year ago and it's a good thing Stamp has learned to improve their exchange the medium-hard way. They won't be making the same mistake again!

This is correct, survival of the fittest contributes to overall strength of the infrastructure.
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2015, 08:15:38 PM

The Gemini exchange isn't being set up as a SEC-regulated exchange. It's just another proposed exchange operating with a money-transfer license.

The ETF is a completely separate deal. That needs SEC approval.
jehst

Activity: 798

21 million. I want them all.

View Profile
April 09, 2015, 07:09:05 PM

Didn't someone said Q1 2015?
Last interview they said Q1 indeed

Q1 is already gone.

The Winklevoss twins are getting into acting. They are playing themselves on the upcoming season of Silicon Valley:
http://www.people.com/article/winklevoss-twins-silicon-valley-hbo-season-2-cameo-tyler-winklevoss-cameron-winklevoss
That is premiering on April 12, so they have presumably been busy with that.

A scan of recent news also shows that Cameron is spending some time courting a very attractive Brazilian model:
http://pagesix.com/2015/03/23/cameron-winklevoss-shows-off-his-brazilian-model-girlfriend/

So it seems they are quite busy. I would imagine they'll start focusing on Gemini and COIN when:

a) the NYDFS finalizes the Bitlicense
b) the SEC  blows some dust off the ETF application

They have no control over either.

Year 2021
Bitcoin Supply: ~90% mined
Supply Inflation: <1.8%
coinableS
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1179

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2015, 09:03:21 PM

Didn't someone said Q1 2015?
Last interview they said Q1 indeed

Q1 is already gone.

The Winklevoss twins are getting into acting. They are playing themselves on the upcoming season of Silicon Valley:
http://www.people.com/article/winklevoss-twins-silicon-valley-hbo-season-2-cameo-tyler-winklevoss-cameron-winklevoss
That is premiering on April 12, so they have presumably been busy with that.

A scan of recent news also shows that Cameron is spending some time courting a very attractive Brazilian model:
http://pagesix.com/2015/03/23/cameron-winklevoss-shows-off-his-brazilian-model-girlfriend/

So it seems they are quite busy. I would imagine they'll start focusing on Gemini and COIN when:

a) the NYDFS finalizes the Bitlicense
b) the SEC  blows some dust off the ETF application

They have no control over either.

Agreed that they are just waiting on regulators and law makers.
Also, don't give her your privatekeys Cameron!! She'll only wants you for your bitcoins! :p

Cconvert2G36

Activity: 392

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 04:30:14 AM

The bear market has been rough to the twins.

They've stooped as low as renting out their home.  Undecided

http://www.amlu.com/2015/04/05/winklevoss-twins-swanky-l-a-mansion-now-for-rent/
jehst

Activity: 798

21 million. I want them all.

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 04:47:19 AM

The bear market has been rough to the twins.

They've stooped as low as renting out their home.  Undecided

http://www.amlu.com/2015/04/05/winklevoss-twins-swanky-l-a-mansion-now-for-rent/

This ETF's not going to pay for itself.

Year 2021
Bitcoin Supply: ~90% mined
Supply Inflation: <1.8%
BitcoinNewbie15

Activity: 574
Merit: 296

Bitcoin isn't a bubble. It's the pin!

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 06:34:15 AM

i am thinking the ETF may come at the end of 2015 or even early 2016. But i dont know for sure. Im also not sure if it will affect the price of BTC. I guess we will have to wait and see Smiley
Fabrizio89

Activity: 924

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 07:00:17 AM

Bitlicense should be ready at this point, maybe before the summer we will have something solid
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2015, 07:39:06 AM

Remember, the Winkelvoss ETF is a dump. They bought a lot of Bitcoins a long time ago.  The ETF is a way for them to sell without crashing the price.

Of course, in retrospect they would have done better if they'd just sold off their Bitcoins back in 2014.
gotmilk_

Activity: 442

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 02:25:08 PM

Remember, the Winkelvoss ETF is a dump. They bought a lot of Bitcoins a long time ago.  The ETF is a way for them to sell without crashing the price.

Of course, in retrospect they would have done better if they'd just sold off their Bitcoins back in 2014.

They will sell shares and not btc directly. Not really a dump... just smart way to make more money on your existing btc.
Alley
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 05:15:09 PM

There not looking to dump.  They want to to be billionaires in 20 years.  There etf will be buying btc as people buy shares. 
coinableS
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1179

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2015, 06:08:11 PM

Bitlicense should be ready at this point, maybe before the summer we will have something solid

Yea comment period ended 2 weeks ago so give them a few months to come up with something official. That's what the winkies are waiting for is more regulation.

ensurance982

Activity: 518

Trust me!

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 06:55:25 PM

interesting...

It's actually quite nonsensical to assume that they are creating an ETF, listing it on a major stock exchange, only to get rid of their coins at a loss. Doesn't make any sense.

We Support Currencies: BTC, LTC, USD, EUR, GBP
Alley
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
April 10, 2015, 08:45:06 PM

They bought there coins in single digits.  But I agree there not doing all this just to dump coins.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: