Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 04:53:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Blockstore: A Key-Value Store on Bitcoin  (Read 1075 times)
juju (OP)

Activity: 381
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 05:57:53 PM

This seems like a really cool project wanted to share it with the forums. What do you guys think of it?

Repository:
https://github.com/openname/blockstore

Description:
Blockstore is a generic key-value store on Bitcoin. You can use it register globally unique names, associate data with those names, and transfer them between Bitcoin addresses.

Then, you or anyone can perform lookups on those names and securely obtain the data associated with them.

Blockstore uses the Bitcoin blockchain for storing name operations and data hashes, and the Kademlia distributed hash table for storing the full data files.

Design:
https://github.com/openname/blockstore/blob/master/doc/design.md

Usage:
https://github.com/openname/blockstore/blob/master/doc/usage.md

I did-int even mention the best part of it, the library is written in a good language (Python) and not something wonky/unreadable like Javascript. Wink
newIndia
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1049

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 06:52:22 PM

Is there any live demo available for this project ?

juju (OP)

Activity: 381
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 07:29:01 PM
Last edit: February 17, 2015, 08:38:39 PM by juju

Is there any live demo available for this project ?

Not that I know of, it actually looks really easy to use based on the documentation posted. When I get some free time I will set it up mess around and post my findings/instructions.

Edit: Spending my lunch looking at this, so far you need a chain.com api key (temporarily) eventually they said you will be allowed the option to let your own bitcoind node verify what they have the chain api doing. You need to connect to a bitcoind node, and it looks like this code only runs currently on Linux in my testing (Haven't tried OSX probably works fine). Right now I am setting up a new Debian VM with the latest bitcoind and the blockstore stuff to see if I can make a record.
Nikinger

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 09:09:36 PM

Can you give a brief description of all advantages over plain Namecoin? It could draw more attention toward the project.

It sounds like Namecoin but with the possibility of storing more data off the blockchain but I couldn't figure out more advantages yet without to have to grab deeper.

1EwKrY5Bn3T47r4tYqSv6mMQkUyu7hZckV
ticoti

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 17, 2015, 10:51:34 PM

I don't really understand the advantages,can you explain it ?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: