Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:55:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: fuck this shit, I want my own blockchain!  (Read 3319 times)
killerstorm (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 07:37:36 AM
Last edit: July 28, 2012, 09:14:48 AM by killerstorm

I mean, if bbqcoin is possible...

1. OK, to make it clear, it is vaporware: I'm a really lazy person and I have lots of ideas. But, on the other hand, I'm a pro C++ coder, so I can do this, in theory.

2. People might say: "Why don't you work on improving existing currency like bitcoin or litecoin?". It's simple: when currency is actively used and valuable, its developers become conservative in features they allow. They do not want disruption for existing users, which is understandable. OTOH with some obscure alt chain you can experiment however you want.

This is actually the purpose of alt chains, according to Gavin himself (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=55506.0)
I had hoped that they would be full of interesting experiments with different transaction types or smart contracts or different fee-setting algorithms or maybe some innovative scheme for instant transactions.

3. So, here's a list of features I'm interested in:

3.1. Geared towards CPU mining, via scrypt tuning (more memory), plus maybe my own crypto ideas. (I need to discuss them with pros first, though.) This would change initial coin distribution patterns (i.e. owners of large GPU farms won't get majority of coins, sorry), and might help against 51% attacks simply because influential people in bitcoin community are likely to have more GPU hashing power than they have CPU hashing power. (Although they can rent CPUs from EC2, for example.)
3.2. First class support for escrows, distributed contracts and stuff like that. With usable interface. They are sort of supported in bitcoin, but half of features are disabled, and half doesn't have proper UI. I actually work it working since I'm working on services which need this stuff.
3.3. Optional centralized timestamping to make instantaneous transactions possible. EDIT: probably irrelevant since similar goal can be accomplished with escrow I know it might be unpopular, but I'm going to make it a configuration option in client: you can configure it to either trust both timestamping server or only blockchain. It might also help against 51% attack, although I'm not sure about it. (Note that it's possible to implement it in bitcoin as a client feature, but it won't be as effective just because it's not default.)
3.4. Merged mining of stuff like ripple, distributed exchanges. (Technically this has almost nothing to do currency, but if I'll be making mining software I'll just include it there as a bonus feature.)
3.5. Potentially support for 'daughter chains', i.e. transfer of coins between many chains. I think it might help against blockchain bloat.
3.6. Constant mining rate, i.e. always 50 coins per block, forever. It would make monetary base stable, believe me or not. Rationale is that some coins are inevitably lost at a rate proportional to current quantity (on average), thus it's should be possible to get to equilibrium where number of coins lost = number of coins mined. As a side effect:

3.6.1. Since there are no changes in amount of bounties it makes things predictable and reduces volatility. (I.e. when mining goes from 50 to 25 you have change in supply and markets are going to react, even if it was known beforehand.)
3.6.2. Might subsidize transaction fees, i.e. miners don't have to charge a lot.
3.6.3. No deflationary problems like 'grandfather's wallet'.

4. I understand that many community members won't like some of these features, but the goal here is to try new things, not to get some people rich. If you don't like it, then forget about it. If nobody likes it, I have other things to do.

5. If there is an interest in bbqcoin community I can take it over. As I understand, original developer abandoned it... So this can save some time doing renaming and making initial block. However, it might be somewhat hard to switch hash algorithm 'on fly'. Also, there is already an awesome, vibrant community Smiley

Otherwise, I'm accepting donations (in form of pledges).

Thanks!

Chromia: a better dapp platform
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2012, 07:44:20 AM

What's stopping you from implementing your ideas yourself, releasing it and see what happens?

Of course that would be more work than creating this thread....
To clarify why are you so lazy? (tbh I don't think you are not really a c++ coder)
killerstorm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 07:52:48 AM

Nothing, actually. I'm just sort of lazy.

I'm posting this just to see community reaction, if people are interested I can do this, otherwise I won't.

I'm currently working (aside from my main job) on a speculative market, e.g. futures/options exchange, where people can bet on exchange rates, prices and stuff like that. Ideally, I want a blockchain-level escrow for this, to avoid bitcoinica-style fiasco.

I started working on it about a year ago, and at that time there were talks about escrow and distributed contracts. But, still, these things are PITA in Bitcoin mainline, so maybe I have to implement it myself?

killerstorm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 08:05:36 AM

To clarify why are you so lazy?

I'm motivated only if I see that other people are interested in work I'm going and I interact with those people.

Alternatively I can get motivated by a challenging problem, but coding is too boring to trigger that kind of motivation.

That's a personality trait, I guess, other coders might have no problem coding for 8 hours straight. I can't, even for money, unless I'm really motivated.

If somebody doubts my qualification, here's a little crypto research I've done: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=55888.10 (Although I'm not a cryto professional, it's just a little research project which I found interesting.)

ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2012, 08:17:27 AM

You could ask yourself what you are trying to archive. What purpose should the currency have, in a sort of end means?
Even if it doesn't turn out that way after all it should give you the motivation to make it good.
weex
Legendary

Activity: 1102
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 08:24:28 AM

At some point this project is going to be mainly your baby so it would be good to hear that your commitment is stronger. If all you need is encouragement then... fuck yeah! You should so do this!

I do like the constant coin generation rate. Constant rate would also neutralize in some part the early-adopter argument. Then again, that early adopter incentive might need to be replaced by another incentive like a genuine technical improvement of some sort(not an easy feat mind you).

Whatever you do I suggest making a good case for the new chain's existence before the genesis block is mined and be setup with merged mining from the start.

If you need a break from thinking about this project too much, consider writing a developers guide for Bitcoin and amass all the best development practices you can find. Things like don't use floats to store BTC balances. You can put it on the wiki in a new page.

Good luck killerstorm.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2012, 08:36:53 AM

You could start by making litecoin and bbqcoin merged-mine-able. That would give you the basic scrypt-based merged mining setup from which to proceed onward to your experimental chain(s).

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
killerstorm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 09:43:24 AM

1. To get it merged-mined I need to convince some major pools that my chain is a great thing. To make it just mined I only need to convince a bunch of users to contribute their CPU resources. One is harder than another. And, frankly, I don't want to lie that some experimental chain is best thing since sliced bread, it might be a total failure. Users will be more forgiving than pools, won't they?

2. I think that CPU-mining is a great feature. Not for coin security, of course, but it's just fun for users. I believe that considerable part of initial bitcoin popularity could be explained by the fact that averages users were empowered thinking that they can download some program and start generating some currency. GPU-based mining is quite a bit more involved than that, but pools and GPU-mining came when Bitcoin already had some popularity. It also worked with a limited success for *brix and litecoin. But now, as far as I can tell, there is no real GPU-hostile currency at this point.

3. Obviously no existing block chain can serve as CPU-friendly merged mining host. Frankly, I don't see Litecoin merged-mining sufficiently different from Bitcoin merged-mining for it to matter, aside from the fact that it might be easier to convince Litecoin pools. (And maybe there will be some difference when ASICs will dominate Bitcoin mining.)

4. While CPU-only mining is mostly just for fun and economic reasons, it can also be seen as a way to improve democratic control over currency as there will be lower incentive for people to organize into pools. This might be of a higher importance for a experimental currency: pools are inherently more conservative, and "pooled democracy" is inferior to direct democracy. Basically, I won't have to convince DeepBit-analog to enable certain feature. You remember BIP-16, right?

5. I believe that worst thing can happen is DoS and double-spends, and I don't see it as a big deal for experimental currency. So I won't see 51% attacks and obscure forking conditions as a big deal.

6. Thanks for encouragement, but I also want to see some CPU power pledged. If bbqcoin could get it, can't I?

Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Wat

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2012, 10:21:05 AM

You might look at the "trust node" model of solidcoin which is resistant to 51% attacks.

The main issue with sc is not the coin  itself it is the lead developer's attitude.

killerstorm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 10:54:15 AM

That would be point 3.3 in my original message. I don't have a complete picture right now, but I guess it should be a trusted node which signs blocks it sees so certain version of blockchain becomes locked. This isn't very different from locks in source code, it just doesn't require binary updates.

But I think it should be advisory rather than mandatory. I.e. users are free to ignore it, or they can switch to different trusted node.

Also maybe it's worth detecting running 51% attack and advising to hold transactions for some time.

Frankly, I don't see 51% attack as a big issue. It's kinda unlikely that it will be used for double-spends on a young currency (aside from pranks), and denial of service isn't a big deal: they won't pull it off for months, right?

Network-level DDoS would be a different thing, though.

But if "influential people" would announce their hostility from start I will just cancel this idea, it's not worth it. But then, don't complain about lack of innovations Smiley

wormbog

Activity: 561

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 11:04:07 AM

These are great ideas, you should go for it. I've got some hashing power I'll pledge to mining on the new chain. I've got some BBQ coins for you too if that helps. 
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2012, 12:23:56 PM

Just to give you a hint (Without revealing my own supersecret plan hahaha Grin)

The metagame of 51% is not just about the right hardware and the right hashing algorithm, it's defining what's your own game is and what it is needed for someone to beat you at your own game. Implementing something like trusted nodes or a decentralized version thereof is _not_ the right answer.

OK I already said enough  Lips sealed
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 02:48:05 PM

I've got some BBQ coins for you too if that helps. 

how could that possibly help?

more or less retired.
NASDAQEnema

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 03:26:50 PM

If "influential people" decide to attack your shit, this community will be split into no less than 4 factions.

If you feel Universe has trolled you exclusively, please donate to Emergency Butthurt Support Fund:
1Jv4wa1w4Le4Ku9MZRxcobnDFzAUF9aotH
Proceeds go to Emergency Butthurt Escape Pod none of you will be allowed to use. If you have read this far, you must pay Emergency Butthurt Internet Tax.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2012, 03:36:38 PM
Last edit: July 27, 2012, 04:24:21 PM by markm

They are just like the feds I guess, they don't want economies to spring up freely, they want to prevent trade by withholding the tool (means/token of exchange) needed to engage in trade, so that no one is able to prosper thus no one is able to afford to buy bitcoins. A vicious circle.

I guess maybe they never heard of the threshold drug or doorstep drug theory (soft drugs lead to hard drugs) so somehow keep trying to convince themselves that people getting a free taste of cryptocurrency won't graduate to the hard stuff (actual genuine original bitcoins)...

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
killerstorm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 03:55:03 PM

If "influential people" decide to attack your shit, this community will be split into no less than 4 factions.

Hmm, like what?

NASDAQEnema

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 06:18:47 PM

For cross blockchain transactions: see if this works for you. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=95904.0

If you feel Universe has trolled you exclusively, please donate to Emergency Butthurt Support Fund:
1Jv4wa1w4Le4Ku9MZRxcobnDFzAUF9aotH
Proceeds go to Emergency Butthurt Escape Pod none of you will be allowed to use. If you have read this far, you must pay Emergency Butthurt Internet Tax.
Etlase2

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 05:20:36 AM

That would be point 3.3 in my original message. I don't have a complete picture right now, but I guess it should be a trusted node which signs blocks it sees so certain version of blockchain becomes locked. This isn't very different from locks in source code, it just doesn't require binary updates.

I spend hundreds of hours coming up with ideas behind encoin/decrits to solve most of the problems with bitcoin. I think I already linked you to it, but here it is again: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91183.0 the encoin wiki is here: http://justinbporter.com/encoin/doku.php - but that is not my site so I don't know how long it may stay up. The encoin wiki has mostly outdated ideas, but it still has a lot of the core stuff like the consensus block with an account ledger instead of a transaction ledger and so on.

I feel your frustration with the current crop of coins and developers, but bringing a project like this to fruition is beyond my capabilities, at least at this time.

Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2012, 08:11:50 AM

@killerstorm
Have you read this ?
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=79837.0;all
--------------------
Also about 3.6.1 and 3.6.2 :
Given that bounty will be a constant, you can completely eliminate tx fees
and even purge/comment all related code from the sources.
There will be no more complaints about "unfair" fees.
I think it is a marketing advantage -- you can claim that all transfers for end user
 are "virtually"  free  Smiley

This would be good for microtransactions if the tx fees are lower than all other coins  Smiley

You still need some cost  to deter dust spam on the network but that could be so low as to be insignificant.

killerstorm (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 08:17:30 AM

Given that bounty will be a constant, you can completely eliminate tx fees

No. This would remove incentive for miners to even include transactions into their blocks.
Without this incentive they can as well mine hollow blocks, it might be cheaper. (E.g. you don't pay for traffic as much.)

Of course we could find some way to penalize hollow blocks, but transaction fee incentive is more straightforward.

Also, as noted by bitcoin.me, it prevents spam.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: