Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:24:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: XMR.TO - Pay the world using Monero  (Read 4720 times)
arnuschky (OP)

Activity: 517
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 18, 2015, 12:44:10 PM
Last edit: June 17, 2019, 07:30:38 PM by arnuschky

XMR.TO - official support thread
Pay the world, using Monero.

Hey,

We made this new service called XMR.TO. It allows you to pay any Bitcoin address using Monero.

Have a look at the website, it explains all the details: https://xmr.to

We're still in beta, so there might be some glitches. In case of problems, don't hesitate to contact us or just reply here. Any feedback is welcome!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
binaryFate
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1003

Still wild and free

View Profile
February 18, 2015, 12:44:32 PM

I confirm my involvement Smiley

Monero's privacy and therefore fungibility are MUCH stronger than Bitcoin's. 
This makes Monero a better candidate to deserve the term "digital cash".
Quicken

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 18, 2015, 01:14:40 PM

This is great work, and much needed. It can also work simply as a currency exchange.

Can you tell me how the exchange rate is calculated, and how the service is funded? I'm happy if you take a small slice during the process.

EDIT: another thought: what is the trust model here?
 Smiley
binaryFate
Legendary

Still wild and free

View Profile
February 18, 2015, 01:43:08 PM

This is great work, and much needed. It can also work simply as a currency exchange.

Can you tell me how the exchange rate is calculated, and how the service is funded? I'm happy if you take a small slice during the process.

EDIT: another thought: what is the trust model here?
 Smiley

Service is currently founded with personal funds. The exchange rate is based on poloniex one at the moment, though we might change this in the future depending on market/third-party sources.

Trust involved regarding your privacy: Not much. Your payment goes through XMR wich is anonymous. You visit the page and we can log your IP, so if you want to be safe you can reach xmr.to through TOR or I2P and you're good. Moreover for your (and our) peace of mind, we purge automatically absolutely every information regarding your order after 144 confirmations of the bitcoin transaction (1 day).

Trust involved regarding us not stealing funds: you got to trust us. But there is little incentive for us to do that, as payments are nearly instant if anything goes wrong people would notice quickly. We couldn't steal much doing that, and that amount would be much much less than what is the reputation of the service, and our personal reputations worth. Some people in Monero community also know us in real life, if that can help. Smiley

EDIT: Many people in Bitcoin community know us too, thought it was obvious so I didn't mention.

onemorebtc

Activity: 266

View Profile
February 18, 2015, 01:47:38 PM

now i am able to order pizza with monero Cheesy
and now i can make sure my german health issurance never knows how much of that crap i eat....

for real: thank you... really nice and needed service.

perhaps in the future if all goes well you could add fiat and get the next bitpay - wish you all the best

transfer 3 onemorebtc.k1024.de 1
dEBRUYNE
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

View Profile
February 18, 2015, 02:56:18 PM

Nice work guys! Would it be an idea to make some graphs with the amount of transactions at the end of each month? In that way we could get a nice view on how much Monero is really used.

Privacy matters, use Monero - A true untraceable cryptocurrency
Why Monero matters? http://weuse.cash/2016/03/05/bitcoiners-hedge-your-position/
GreekBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

getmonero.org

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2015, 06:15:14 PM

Is it possible to also sign a message? Maybe in the future.

binaryFate
Legendary

Still wild and free

View Profile
February 18, 2015, 06:17:06 PM

Don't get it. You'd like to sign what with what key?

onemorebtc

View Profile
February 18, 2015, 06:21:15 PM

maybe your sending address so someone can proove he did the btc payment

edit: this *could* be made if you show a standard message "paid xx btc to 1jf on mm/dd/yyyy" which you sign with on of your addresses which was used in this transactions. when you use a default text all should be save

Bassica

Activity: 283

View Profile
February 18, 2015, 09:55:11 PM

Nice one guys, great work!

Will test it out soon to make my first anonymous bitcoin purchase Cheesy
binaryFate
Legendary

Still wild and free

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 11:45:57 AM

edit: this *could* be made if you show a standard message "paid xx btc to 1jf on mm/dd/yyyy" which you sign with on of your addresses which was used in this transactions. when you use a default text all should be save

Yes that would be possible.
I suppose allowing the user to enter an arbitrary text to sign is also safe, assuming we concatenate that text with a fixed string (for instance "signed message: " + <string_of_user>).
If it's useful we can do that.

arnuschky (OP)

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 02:01:11 PM

I suppose allowing the user to enter an arbitrary text to sign is also safe, assuming we concatenate that text with a fixed string (for instance "signed message: " + <string_of_user>).

Sorry, I don't understand this. You want to sign the message above using our bitcoin address to prove that we did the payment? If yes, this exists already: it's called a transaction. Wink
binaryFate
Legendary

Still wild and free

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 02:28:29 PM

Sorry, I don't understand this. You want to sign the message above using our bitcoin address to prove that we did the payment? If yes, this exists already: it's called a transaction. Wink

Imagine 10 people having to renew their monthly subscription to a service on the same day. The merchant only receives 9, but all 10 people claim they did send funds. Pointing at transactions wouldn't be of any use then, since you can point to another one that is not yours.

onemorebtc

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 03:10:36 PM

Imagine 10 people having to renew their monthly subscription to a service on the same day. The merchant only receives 9, but all 10 people claim they did send funds. Pointing at transactions wouldn't be of any use then, since you can point to another one that is not yours.

it is also used in

btw if you need any help with DB2/NoSql/JS/Node/CSS/HTML/C#/Scheme or bitcoin in general (unlikeliy Wink) feel free to contact me (my english and my design skills sucks, but i am good at coding).

arnuschky (OP)

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 03:26:37 PM
Last edit: April 13, 2015, 03:53:11 PM by arnuschky

XMR.TO beta API docs

XMR.TO can be used via it's API. Below, you can find the preliminary docs for our beta API.
(It's preliminary as the API might change during our BETA phase, and we will write a better version of the doce once it stabilized!)

NOTE: this API is currently in beta and might change without prior notice!

XMR.TO API docs

We just released our new API!

For the full documentation, click here: http://xmrto-api.readthedocs.org/

Wallet developers, contact me or support@xmr.to if you plan to integrate XMR.TO and need some help!
GreekBitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

getmonero.org

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2015, 03:28:37 PM

I am sure it is useful but personally i just want to send a small donation to wikileaks stating that this was the first wikileaks donation with monero Tongue
Jojatekok

Activity: 264

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 05:33:45 PM

Thank you for adding the API specification, it will definitely be helpul for developers, and thus, for end-users. Wink

Code:
Monero  (XMR): 47hK4gehaMrFTQCiV5FEmM54hpqTrdHudb9nUBG88NicBDpxH4TGuh3TmW84Dc6dpMiEiBLGvJCuT3xC3LNHctmx7mG8NLM
Bitcoin (BTC): 14wHehBtFt321WTV15khon8Juaxh9drnfJ
arnuschky (OP)

View Profile
March 24, 2015, 03:13:12 PM

We're currently stabilizing our API to get it out of beta asap.
We hope that we can then progress with the integration of XMR.TO into other services (eg., wallets).

Developers, now is the time to make comments and suggestions!  Cool
mmortal03
Legendary

Activity: 1762
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 30, 2015, 01:36:20 AM

I'm sure this isn't the first time it's been asked, but I couldn't find it mentioned in this thread.

What is the possibility of adding a feature to have XMR.TO to work the other way around -- i.e. pay any Monero address using Bitcoin?
arnuschky (OP)

View Profile
April 13, 2015, 03:50:24 PM

I'm sure this isn't the first time it's been asked, but I couldn't find it mentioned in this thread.

What is the possibility of adding a feature to have XMR.TO to work the other way around -- i.e. pay any Monero address using Bitcoin?

We're currently looking into developing that. Unfortunately, we didn't plan for it, so it's more work than it should be.
However, the community seems to need such a service to we will most likely add it at some point.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: