Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 08:26:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Does it annoy you when people ask "what do you do?"
Yes in most contexts it annoys me - 10 (43.5%)
No i dont find this annoys me. - 6 (26.1%)
Sometimes it can annoy me. Depends on context. (if you pick this please comment) - 7 (30.4%)
Total Voters: 23

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Does it annoy you when people ask "what do you do?"  (Read 2489 times)
BitCoinNutJob (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 18, 2015, 05:43:05 PM

Does it annoy you when people ask "what do you do?" as a way to find out about you?

I find this really annoying in most contexts. 99% of the time what someone does is because they dont have a better option to acquire money to purchase resources to survive no? People might aswell ask "so how are you trapped?".  

Only the very rich must truely "enjoy" this question? or maybe those who are proud of their work, like doctors etc

2 contexts i find it acceptable someone asks me what i do:

1.) A bank or estate agent, basically something to do with business. They are asking to protect their business/investment.

2.) Someone close to you, or someone you getting on with very well asks because of reasons like... they wanna do something in the future with you and wonder if you have free time.

BADecker
Legendary

Activity: 3822
Merit: 1373

View Profile
February 18, 2015, 05:46:13 PM

Most folks who become annoyed at this, have figured out friendly ways to walk and talk around it.

Smiley

Cure your cancer at home. Ivermectin, fenbendazole, methylene blue, and hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) are chief among parasite drugs. Find out that all disease is based in parasites or pollution, and what you can easily do about it - https://www.huldaclark.com/, https://thedrardisshow.com/, https://thehighwire.com/.
cakir
Legendary

Activity: 1274

★ BitClave ICO: 15/09/17 ★

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2015, 05:50:16 PM

Sometimes.
"What're you doing on the computer all day, how're you making money?"

Just answering as: "I'm private investor" Grin

,'#██+:                 
              ,█████████████'             
            +██████████████████           
          ;██████████████████████         
         ███████:         .███████`       
        ██████               ;█████'      
      `█████                   #████#     
      ████+                     `████+    
     ████:                        ████,   
    ████:    .#              █     ████   
   ;███+     ██             ███     ████  
   ████     ███'            ███.    '███, 
  +███     #████           ,████     ████ 
  ████     █████ .+██████: █████+    `███.
 ,███     ███████████████████████     ████
 ████     ███████████████████████'    :███
 ███:    +████████████████████████     ███`
 ███     █████████████████████████`    ███+
,███     ██████████████████████████    #███
'███    '██████████████████████████    ;███
#███    ███████████████████████████    ,███
████    ███████████████████████████.   .███
████    ███████████████████████████'   .███
+███    ███████████████████████████+   :███
:███    ███████████████████████████'   +███
 ███    ███████████████████████████.   ███#
 ███.   #██████████████████████████    ███,
 ████    █████████████████████████+   `███
 '███    '████████████████████████    ████
  ███;    ███████████████████████     ███;
  ████     #████████████████████     ████ 
   ███#     .██████████████████     `███+ 
   ████`      ;██████████████       ████  
    ████         '███████#.        ████.  
    .████                         █████   
     '████                       █████    
      #████'                    █████     
       +█████`                ██████      
        ,██████:           `███████       
          ████████#;,..:+████████.        
           ,███████████████████+          
             .███████████████;            
                `+███████#,               
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2015, 05:51:04 PM

Really those are your reasons? For me it's the fact that every time I tell people what I do I have to explain it and they still don't get it, the only people who know what I do are people who either do what I do already or use the internet regularly. To keep things simple I often just say I work with Jewellery because that's something people understand, I won't even get into artwork the majority of the time because people don't fucking understand the idea of manga etc. and you have to explain it.
BADecker
Legendary

View Profile
February 18, 2015, 05:54:15 PM

Sometimes.
"What're you doing on the computer all day, how're you making money?"

Just answering as: "I'm private investor" Grin

I work nights, and can't sleep during the day.    Grin

Cure your cancer at home. Ivermectin, fenbendazole, methylene blue, and hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) are chief among parasite drugs. Find out that all disease is based in parasites or pollution, and what you can easily do about it - https://www.huldaclark.com/, https://thedrardisshow.com/, https://thehighwire.com/.
BADecker
Legendary

View Profile
February 18, 2015, 05:56:05 PM

To keep things simple I often just say I work with Jewellery because that's something people understand...

I tried that, but then they started asking what Synagogue I went to.    Grin

BitCoinNutJob (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 18, 2015, 05:56:29 PM

Most folks who become annoyed at this, have figured out friendly ways to walk and talk around it.

Smiley

Yeah thats what i need to work on maybe.... not very good at working out why people are asking, still seems a very silly/aggressive question in many contexts. Because even if it is a geniune friendly question, how many people % wise are proud of what they do? cant be a very high %.  Its statistical suicide asking people this question especially if they are a stranger.

Maybe its just me Smiley
BADecker
Legendary

View Profile
February 18, 2015, 05:58:12 PM

Smiley

Yeah thats what i need to work on maybe.... not very good at working out why people are asking, still seems a very silly/aggressive question in many contexts. Because even if it is a geniune friendly question, how many people % wise are proud of what they do? cant be a very high %.  Its statistical suicide asking people this question espcially if they are a stranger.

Maybe its just me Smiley

"Hi. How are you?" "That's personal."    Cheesy

BitCoinNutJob (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 18, 2015, 06:00:34 PM

Really those are your reasons? For me it's the fact that every time I tell people what I do I have to explain it and they still don't get it, the only people who know what I do are people who either do what I do already or use the internet regularly. To keep things simple I often just say I work with Jewellery because that's something people understand, I won't even get into artwork the majority of the time because people don't fucking understand the idea of manga etc. and you have to explain it.

Well thats another reason.

Those reasons i give are my main reasons yes, if im speaking to someone its because i want a decent connection ideally.  What someone does rarely defines them..
BitCoinNutJob (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 18, 2015, 06:02:57 PM

Smiley

Yeah thats what i need to work on maybe.... not very good at working out why people are asking, still seems a very silly/aggressive question in many contexts. Because even if it is a geniune friendly question, how many people % wise are proud of what they do? cant be a very high %.  Its statistical suicide asking people this question espcially if they are a stranger.

Maybe its just me Smiley

"Hi. How are you?" "That's personal."    Cheesy

Yeah i dont find that the same assuming body language geniune. Its an opened ended question, its a great question, you can connect better asking/answering this.

twister

Activity: 672
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2015, 06:07:25 PM

YES  Angry

It annoys me so much, mostly when people who are not related with my life in anyway ask me what do I do. For ex. my milkman, I don't know what is that guy's problem. I don't want to bash him off coz he brings milk and he could mix nasty things in it but.. it so gets on my nerves.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
bitgeek

Activity: 462
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 18, 2015, 06:17:11 PM

This reminds me of a situation when you visit your girlfriend's house for the first time and once her folks see you they immediately ask "what do you do, what do your parents do and what are your future plans". The best answer would be "i'm going to university to be a doctor, my father is a lawyer and my mom just baked cookies for you guys which I happily brought with me" Fuck you society! Cheesy

███████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████

Online.BTC.Bingo

.*500%.CASH.BACK.+.INSTANT.BONUS
..PROGRESSIVE.JACKPOT
..NO-DOWNLOAD.CLIENT

EPIC.FUN.
BitCoinNutJob (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 18, 2015, 06:24:29 PM

This reminds me of a situation when you visit your girlfriend's house for the first time and once her folks see you they immediately ask "what do you do, what do your parents do and what are your future plans". The best answer would be "i'm going to university to be a doctor, my father is a lawyer and my mom just baked cookies for you guys which I happily brought with me" Fuck you society! Cheesy

lol yes thats it in the very extreme form, it is like society talking to you rather then the person. Funny answer!

Few months ago i went camping, ended up in a big tent with about 8 strangers sat in a circle, kinda cool until within 10 minutes in some dick decided it would be a good idea we'd go around individaully and find out what eachother did.  Just so happened he was extremely proud of whatever the shit it was he did, some kind of managment trainer BS. Typical clueless baby boomer type.
BADecker
Legendary

View Profile
February 18, 2015, 06:28:29 PM

If only two girls could make a baby. They'd be happier than ever.    Cheesy

patt0
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1005

Betting Championship betking.io/sports-leaderboard

View Profile
February 18, 2015, 07:47:01 PM

Sometimes it annoys me lol it depends on who is asking and why.
Some people just ask to see if they can find something to criticize, but if it is an honest question it doesn't annoy me.

medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2015, 08:07:22 PM

When you meet enough people in your life, you get used to it. Some people are nosy and you learn to brush them off with witty replies. I don't get annoyed because I take pride in what I do, even if it earns next to nothing. I believe it's more to do with self-esteem than the question itself. Most of the time, the question is just an ice-breaker.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
February 18, 2015, 08:10:59 PM

Does it annoy you when people ask "what do you do?"

Does the topic assume most of us do not have "regular"/mainstream type jobs?

When you meet enough people in your life, you get used to it. Some people are nosy and you learn to brush them off with witty replies. I don't get annoyed because I take pride in what I do, even if it earns next to nothing. I believe it's more to do with self-esteem than the question itself. Most of the time, the question is just an ice-breaker.

My feelings are the same, you get used to it.

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
February 18, 2015, 08:15:55 PM

I travel, I appreciate lots of artistic endeavors, I do outdoor sports like climbing and canoeing, I play video games, etc... Why does it have to be about money?

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
BitMos

Activity: 182
Merit: 123

"PLEASE SCULPT YOUR SHIT BEFORE THROWING. Thank U"

View Profile
February 18, 2015, 08:16:46 PM

me I don't answer, they can't understand, at a physical lvl  Tongue. it would be like trying to make an IA32 process run on a ARM cpu...  Undecided  So I let them go... to their destiny. Why shall I break the veil on those wanting to stay in it? it ain't cool.

Answer: drinking.  Roll Eyes, what  Shocked your glass is empty... then they say no to more drinking (they have to be clean to scam or predates), so they move along... and I am  Cheesy. fuck them.

when a girl ask it's just to know your income lvl... then she will try a question about your spending habits to see if you are a good (side) provider, the next ones is already being channeled trough what ever app they use now (like second date, be fucked by a second guy while on a date with a first one... whooa).

the 21 American century, greatest achievement of (anti)mankind!

money is faster...
SamPatt

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 18, 2015, 10:14:20 PM

Does it annoy you when people ask "what do you do?"

Does the topic assume most of us do not have "regular"/mainstream type jobs?

My feelings are the same, you get used to it.

In the DC area, you definitely get used to it, since it's as common a greeting as "hello." It's easy to segue into more interesting topics.

Still, I'm glad I left the area. Lots of boring people.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: