Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 01:28:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Running miners outside  (Read 2641 times)
bitcoin4eva (OP)

Activity: 328
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 18, 2015, 07:14:48 PM

Hey!

I just moved to a new home and I have a balcony. It has roof, so no direct water will spill over the miners. My question is: could I possibly run the miners in my balcony? As I said no water will directly drop over them but there will be more moist in air than inside. Would it completely destroy my miners/PSUs?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
smracer
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1055
Merit: 1020

View Profile
February 18, 2015, 07:35:31 PM

What is the average humidity where you live?
bitcoin4eva (OP)

View Profile
February 18, 2015, 07:38:10 PM

I'm not sure, I live in Finland so its not like tropical weather Cheesy And its winter so the air is a bit dryer.
I just checked from a Finnish weather site that atm is 66%
goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
February 18, 2015, 07:43:12 PM

FWIW, I am running many SP20s in the balcony, and and blowing warm air into the house.

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
bitcoin4eva (OP)

View Profile
February 18, 2015, 07:48:25 PM

FWIW, I am running many SP20s in the balcony, and and blowing warm air into the house.

Allright thanks for your answer. I just want to get rid of the noise and heat and wanted to make sure before I destroy my miners Cheesy
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
February 18, 2015, 08:14:41 PM

Great idea! Central heating which generates money. Next step is to heat water for baths during the summer Cheesy
bitcoin4eva (OP)

View Profile
February 18, 2015, 08:30:16 PM

Allright I just put them outside, covered them a bit with some plastic in case high winds and rain/hail. Lets just hope no-one steals them... Cheesy
bitcoin4eva (OP)

View Profile
February 18, 2015, 08:31:41 PM

Might make some kind of lockable rack/case for them later  Smiley
yampi

Activity: 433

View Profile
February 18, 2015, 08:33:30 PM

Sure, if you case them so no water will get to the miners or to the power when it rains.
mavericklm

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 18, 2015, 08:39:32 PM

II just checked from a Finnish weather site that atm is 66%

that humidity is ok for a psu and most electronics.
miners may not like big differences between night and day temperature, contraction and expanding of the different materials is not good Wink
adaseb
Legendary

Activity: 3752
Merit: 1710

View Profile
February 18, 2015, 08:47:50 PM

Can somebody post their setup of how you are running it on the balcony.

I am not worried about snow or rains because ahead of time I can always check the forecast but the problem is dirt, dust, ants, getting into the miners and PSUs.

Miners I dont really care about at this point since most are useless but I don't want to ruin a perfectly good PSUs.

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
bitcoin4eva (OP)

View Profile
February 18, 2015, 08:56:29 PM

II just checked from a Finnish weather site that atm is 66%

that humidity is ok for a psu and most electronics.
miners may not like big differences between night and day temperature, contraction and expanding of the different materials is not good Wink

Only few celcius differences coming during the next few days : )
nbtcminer

Activity: 249

View Profile
February 18, 2015, 09:04:24 PM

I would recommend a deck box / patio storage bin + a small wire rack inside for outside storage. That would give you some physical precipitation protection and you could organize it however you like on the inside. Ventilation holes would also be a good idea.
bitcoin4eva (OP)

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 10:13:21 AM

Im thinking of making a small case for them in the next few weeks.
First night running the miner outside (need to buy a PSU for the second one) and everything good so far.
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 04:02:41 PM

Can somebody post their setup of how you are running it on the balcony.

I am not worried about snow or rains because ahead of time I can always check the forecast but the problem is dirt, dust, ants, getting into the miners and PSUs.

Miners I dont really care about at this point since most are useless but I don't want to ruin a perfectly good PSUs.

I dont have any running outside (my balcony has pigeons, and i really dont want them trying to nest around a heated object/container), but heres my suggestion:

1) build a secure rack or container.
container: buy a large outdoor storage bin or shelf that is easily enough space for all your gear (cords, power bars, PSU, miners). cut some holes in the sizes where you want the air to come in and exit. keep in mind that equipment like PSUs may receive less airflow then the miners that have 100cfm+ fans running - size and locate holes so that the container wont trap heat and become too hot inside
rack: buy some sort of rack/shelf that is sufficient to hold all your gear at a safe distance above ground level. If it doesnt have a solid top/sides, buy some plexiglass or fiberboard to build a top+sides. The front and back should be open wherever you anticipate wanting airflow

2) protect the inlet/outlets with a breathable filter to keep out rain, debris, animals, etc. Polyfill fabric (see image) or furnace filters are both good
cover the airways in a breathable material like a polyfill fabric or

3) locate somewhere that rain and debris shouldnt even be an issue. ideally the filter will seem like overkill because there is so few hazards where you place it
4) keep all the wiring elevated. minimize the wire runs between the box and house. if water gets on wires, the surface tension can sometimes carry it along the wire - keep this in mind and make sure if rain hits the extension cable, it wont run along the cord and reach your powerbar/outlet.

theres no real risk to the electronics from either humidity (unless you are in florida or somewhere crazy-moist) as long as the units dont suck in any water droplets, and are running 24/7. the airflow and heat will prevent any sort of condensation. If the power stops though and a component cools down, it can become susceptible to moisture eventually condensating on it (but still unlikely, as long as it is warmer than the outside air).

only thing to really avoid doing would be to turn on the hardware in the early morning, when the air outside is starting to warm up and carry moisture, but the hardware in the box will be cold from the overnight. a >10F difference like this could result in moisture from the warm air condensating on the cold mining equipment metal. once the unit is running though, hot metal wont pull moisture from cool air

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
bitcoin4eva (OP)

View Profile
February 20, 2015, 10:08:47 AM

Ive been running them 24/7 to avoid these kind of quick changes in temperatures. Also I think it could help the moisture thing, as the hardware is all the time pretty warm it should evaporate the moist right?
wpgdeez

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 20, 2015, 02:43:08 PM

I've been running gear for almost 2 years in my garage with temps going down as low as -40 in winter and +35 in summer. So far I have popped a cap on a single S1 and had a PSU go bad (both on hot summer days).
bitcoin4eva (OP)

View Profile
February 20, 2015, 06:04:50 PM

Im not that worried about the temp, more about the moist/rain. But Everything should be fine with them. Ill make some kind of rack for them once I get back home in few weeks Tongue
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: