Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 08:43:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: LiFi internet breakthrough: 224Gbps connection broadcast with an LED bulb  (Read 1657 times)
bytezero (OP)

Activity: 414
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 18, 2015, 11:37:51 PM

Li-Fi is still a long way from being used commercially, but by way of illustration, using a 224Gbps speed would technically allow for 18 movies of 1.5GB each to be downloaded in a single second.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/lifi-internet-breakthrough-224gbps-connection-broadcast-led-bulb-1488204

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitMos

Activity: 182
Merit: 123

"PLEASE SCULPT YOUR SHIT BEFORE THROWING. Thank U"

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 04:53:54 PM

so it's through light? the nsa knows it, but didn't want to release it, because they prefer us to be exposed to emf from wifi... to have an edge over our children, they must destroy us and their mothers using all the tools of stealth warfare. Answer TW.

money is faster...
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 06:16:36 PM

Li-Fi is still a long way from being used commercially, but by way of illustration, using a 224Gbps speed would technically allow for 18 movies of 1.5GB each to be downloaded in a single second.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/lifi-internet-breakthrough-224gbps-connection-broadcast-led-bulb-1488204

so we would need to replace all lightbulbs with modified ones, and entire circuit from router to lightbulb to provide it with internet connection ? seams pretty impractical, or would the wifi signal go to bulb, and then be re-broadcasted through the bulb. Its amazing what they did, but i doubt we will see tech like this anytime soon in our houses.
Regarding the current issues with wifi, if ure scared of emf, just place cables to your computers, and eliminate need for wireless connection..

cheers
tee-rex

Activity: 742
Merit: 526

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 08:29:49 PM

Camrips, evidently.

so we would need to replace all lightbulbs with modified ones, and entire circuit from router to lightbulb to provide it with internet connection ? seams pretty impractical, or would the wifi signal go to bulb, and then be re-broadcasted through the bulb. Its amazing what they did, but i doubt we will see tech like this anytime soon in our houses.
Regarding the current issues with wifi, if ure scared of emf, just place cables to your computers, and eliminate need for wireless connection..

I remember about a decade ago there had been much ado about transmitting data through existing electrical networks. What happened to that technology, who knows? Didn't hear anything about it ever since.
Wilikon
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 09:07:47 PM

Time for the FCC to tax LEDs as unfair too fast internet connection. Net neutrality needs to slow this down  for everyone...

Cool

Grand_Voyageur

Activity: 322

https://dadice.com | Click my signature to join!

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2015, 09:38:48 PM

Camrips, evidently.

I remember about a decade ago there had been much ado about transmitting data through existing electrical networks. What happened to that technology, who knows? Didn't hear anything about it ever since.

Do you mean Power-line comm technology? Here in Italy he's used by former electric monopoly to compete as an ISP against Telcos in some parts of the country. Also, AFAIK is deployed in some Home networks to avoid laying LAN cables while integrating Wi-Fi networks. Domotics applications also seems to use it.

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█   ⚂⚄⚀⚃⚅⚁    ██  d a d i c e  ██    Next Generation Dice Game
• Low 1% house edge. • Provably Fair.  
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
tee-rex

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 09:39:53 PM

Time for the FCC to tax LEDs as unfair too fast internet connection. Net neutrality needs to slow this down  for everyone...

And movie makers should have their share of the pie, obviously.

Do you mean Power-line comm technology? Here in Italy he's used by former electric monopoly to compete as an ISP against Telcos in some parts of the country. Also, AFAIK is deployed in some Home networks to avoid laying LAN cables while integrating Wi-Fi networks. Domotics applications also seems to use it.

Yes, at that time this technology had been endowed with great prospects as the future of home networking ("Ethernet over power").
Nemo1024
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2015, 10:20:34 PM

Time for the FCC to tax LEDs as unfair too fast internet connection. Net neutrality needs to slow this down  for everyone...

Yes, at that time this technology had been endowed with great prospects as the future of home networking ("Ethernet over power").

HomePlug. I know some people who didn't want to bother with laying cables and opted for it.
There are quite a lot of products in that category

My guess is LiFi will be as common in homes as WiFi is in half the time it took WiFi. There is a great potential for a hybrid of WiFi and LiFI.

“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”
“We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”
“It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated.”
Grand_Voyageur

Activity: 322

https://dadice.com | Click my signature to join!

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2015, 05:58:59 AM

Time for the FCC to tax LEDs as unfair too fast internet connection. Net neutrality needs to slow this down  for everyone...

HomePlug. I know some people who didn't want to bother with laying cables and opted for it.

My guess is LiFi will be as common in homes as WiFi is in half the time it took WiFi. There is a great potential for a hybrid of WiFi and LiFI.

Such an hybrid network would require improved Wi-Fi set also; otherwise, You have a bandwith bottleneck due to the lower bandwith of Wi-Fi.

█   ⚂⚄⚀⚃⚅⚁    ██  d a d i c e  ██    Next Generation Dice Game
• Low 1% house edge. • Provably Fair.  
Wilikon
Legendary

Activity: 1176

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 04:14:41 PM

Such an hybrid network would require improved Wi-Fi set also; otherwise, You have a bandwith bottleneck due to the lower bandwith of Wi-Fi.

Even if you improve your wi-fi you'll need a faster network card in your pc. Even if you have a faster internet card you'll need a faster hard drive to deal with so much stuff to save.

Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 04:49:26 PM

That technology is in use. You can buy LAN adapters, but ISPs are not using (or rarely using) this technology. I guess the telco companies made some agrements with the utility providers.
koshgel
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 06:45:44 PM

Never heard of Li-Fi but 228 Gbps is insane. 18 movies in a second  Shocked

Why is Li-Fi considered greener in Wi-Fi?
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2015, 07:24:55 PM

HURRAY! It's about time someone came up with a solution to slow ass signals for the internet! It would absolutely be fantastic to not be limited by where you live etc. if you wanted to get a fast internet connection, hell, this kind of thing could make travelling fun. I take it Li-fi is similar to fibre optic where it uses light instead of electricity to send data? I don't know too much about this kind of technology.
dsly

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 10:50:58 PM

I remember working on a project on it in university. Its definitely the future of connecting

ObscureBean
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2015, 08:38:13 AM

I remember reading an article about this a while back, it's promising tech for sure. From what I remember the only downside is that as soon as the light beam is interrupted by any obstacle, like a wall for instance, you lose connection. It's definitely been over a year since I first came across this tech, hopefully they gonna figure out a way to implement it soon.
tee-rex

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 09:18:09 AM

I remember reading an article about this a while back, it's promising tech for sure. From what I remember the only downside is that as soon as the light beam is interrupted by any obstacle, like a wall for instance, you lose connection. It's definitely been over a year since I first came across this tech, hopefully they gonna figure out a way to implement it soon.

Why not then place a li-fi to wi-fi transmitter right into the bulb? Do I miss something, or will it just kill the whole idea behind this li-fi?
Twipple

Activity: 462

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 09:38:38 AM

I think the limitation would be that it always has to be in direct site/line of view. Else it will fail. Does seem like a big limitation.
Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 10:19:15 AM

HURRAY! It's about time someone came up with a solution to slow ass signals for the internet! It would absolutely be fantastic to not be limited by where you live etc. if you wanted to get a fast internet connection, hell, this kind of thing could make travelling fun. I take it Li-fi is similar to fibre optic where it uses light instead of electricity to send data? I don't know too much about this kind of technology.

Don't be too excited. BT can surely slow down even light itself Smiley.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2015, 10:25:52 AM

Don't be too excited. BT can surely slow down even light itself Smiley.

Oh please, everyone know that's Virgin, they're capable of affecting ping for no reason.
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2015, 10:33:53 AM
Last edit: February 26, 2015, 08:30:52 AM by medUSA

It is easy to understand how data could be transmitted from a strong light source to a device in a room. How is data going to be transmitted from the slave device to the master? The room is likely to be filled with ambient light? They might be using invisible light spectrum for the return channel.

The usefulness of this Li-Fi is very limited. We need a clear line of sight, so devices are cannot connect when they are in bags and pockets. The only breakthrough I can see is fixing them on all street lamps and everyone gets free Li-Fi.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: