Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 11:37:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New auction for 50000 btc from US marshalls!  (Read 5754 times)
WhatTheGox
Legendary

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 06:45:48 PM

http://www.usmarshals.gov/assets/2015/dpr-february-auction/

Have they finally emptied their cache?

Wish this causes a trend reversal

How is it they come to the decision to sell at these prices, seems like nobody has a brain over there.  Or perhaps no single person has the power to make sale date decisions.

Its mostly people who fair the price of bitcoin to crash. And if they think of that, they see losing money and probably dump and get out.

But unfortunately, it goes up instead and they regret it the next day .

You'd think they'd have some top techincal analysis traders viewing the data though, the market is tricky to predict for anyone but a few seem to get it right more often then not.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2015, 06:56:44 PM

They don't really care about selling for a good price, they are just liquidating the assets from the seizure like with anything else. And that is probably done according to a time table that is dictated by internal proceedings, not the market. So they would auction the Bitcoins now if they were a million dollars or just a nickel.
readysalted89

Activity: 327
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 07:13:10 PM

http://www.usmarshals.gov/assets/2015/dpr-february-auction/

Have they finally emptied their cache?

Wish this causes a trend reversal

How is it they come to the decision to sell at these prices, seems like nobody has a brain over there.  Or perhaps no single person has the power to make sale date decisions.

Its mostly people who fair the price of bitcoin to crash. And if they think of that, they see losing money and probably dump and get out.

But unfortunately, it goes up instead and they regret it the next day .

You'd think they'd have some top techincal analysis traders viewing the data though, the market is tricky to predict for anyone but a few seem to get it right more often then not.

Before the first auction someone made the point that the US was selling because they thought the price would go down in the long run. It's considerably lower now than before either of the last two auctions. The US might be selling now because they still hold the same view.
bitcoin4eva

Activity: 328

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 07:26:50 PM

I really still think it was somewhat sketchy to sell the BTC. They wouldn't sell the 100$ bills they get from some drug raid for discounted rates, wouldn't they?
NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 07:28:45 PM

I really still think it was somewhat sketchy to sell the BTC. They wouldn't sell the 100$ bills they get from some drug raid for discounted rates, wouldn't they?

No, they wouldn't have to.  They'd put those bills directly in the bank because that's real money.
But yeah, seized money goes in the bank, they don't incinerate it, if that's what you mean.
ssmc2
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1040

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 07:30:41 PM

It doesn't stay in the bank for long. Most seized funds are immediately converted into toys like this:

http://www.news9.com/story/24981268/seized-drug-money-helps-guthrie-police-purchase-armored-vehicle
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
February 21, 2015, 07:37:24 PM

It doesn't stay in the bank for long. Most seized funds are immediately converted into toys like this:

http://www.news9.com/story/24981268/seized-drug-money-helps-guthrie-police-purchase-armored-vehicle

Nice tool to raid Libertarian extremists who think they can sell drugs and not pay taxes.
ssmc2
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1040

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 07:41:16 PM

Nice tool to raid Libertarian extremists who think they can sell drugs and not pay taxes.

Just part of the ever-evolving Orwellian police state we have here in the U.S.
okthen

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 08:49:07 PM

Wow, they can do that?
Shouldn't the money go together with all of the tax revenues the government has?
It's everybody's money too after all...
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 09:24:27 PM

Wow, they can do that?
Shouldn't the money go together with all of the tax revenues the government has?

They earned that money by frightening and extorting passing motorists.

http://www.theweek.co.uk/us/60343/hand-over-your-cash-how-us-cops-commit-highway-robbery

Welcome to America. Luckily I live in a developed country.
WhatTheGox
Legendary

Activity: 812

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 10:01:23 PM

They don't really care about selling for a good price, they are just liquidating the assets from the seizure like with anything else. And that is probably done according to a time table that is dictated by internal proceedings, not the market. So they would auction the Bitcoins now if they were a million dollars or just a nickel.

They do 50k now to leave 40k? seems strange but yeah i can see there is likely no thought at all into the whole process.
uki
Legendary

Activity: 1358

cryptojunk bag holder

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 10:28:13 PM

^Market price during the first auction > market price during the second auction > market price now.
Only possible regret: "Why didn't we sell this bag earlier?! Sad "
but also: price drop after first auction -> almost no reaction after the 2nd -> and now?
probably also all is priced in.

this space is intentionally left blank
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 11:01:51 PM

Wow, they can do that?

They earned that money by frightening and extorting passing motorists.

http://www.theweek.co.uk/us/60343/hand-over-your-cash-how-us-cops-commit-highway-robbery

Welcome to America. Luckily I live in a developed country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kEpZWGgJks its aJon Oliver show where he nicely described whats happening with  Civil Forfeiture in usa.
Insane, just purely insane that people actually tolerate this kind of harrasment from the public service that was originaly created to serve, and to protect ..
Way to go 'murica

cheers
bitcoin4eva

Activity: 328

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 09:17:23 AM

No, they wouldn't have to.  They'd put those bills directly in the bank because that's real money.
But yeah, seized money goes in the bank, they don't incinerate it, if that's what you mean.

Yea and why didn't they do something like this with the seized BTC? I bet there are all kinds of stuff they could have bought with them. Or donate them or something.
readysalted89

Activity: 327

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 11:11:52 AM

Yea and why didn't they do something like this with the seized BTC? I bet there are all kinds of stuff they could have bought with them. Or donate them or something.

There are some sort of legal rules which force them to auction the seized BTC rather than directly sell them or buy something with them. I don't know exactly how the rules work but that's why they auction loads of other things they confiscate like cars. They would probably raise far more money selling them directly but they can't.
NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 12:01:16 PM

No, they wouldn't have to.  They'd put those bills directly in the bank because that's real money.

Because USMS is not as dumb as most Bitcoiners?
Because you don't get to tell USMS what to do?
Because USMS always auctions off seized criminal proceeds?

If those aren't reasons enough, here's another:
If USMS chose to hold BTC (what you feel is the equivalent of putting USD in the bank), the agents would discover, much to their chagrin, that their "saved" BTC has lost most of its buying power, i.e. the same coin that was worth $1,2000 in December is now worth $245 Sad
Like so:

So the question really shouldn't be "why did USMS choose to sell," but "WTF didn't you?"
turvarya

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 07:51:05 PM

No, they wouldn't have to.  They'd put those bills directly in the bank because that's real money.

Because USMS is not as dumb as most Bitcoiners?
Because you don't get to tell USMS what to do?
Because USMS always auctions off seized criminal proceeds?

If those aren't reasons enough, here's another:
If USMS chose to hold BTC (what you feel is the equivalent of putting USD in the bank), the agents would discover, much to their chagrin, that their "saved" BTC has lost most of its buying power, i.e. the same coin that was worth $1,2000 in December is now worth $245 Sad
Like so:

So the question really shouldn't be "why did USMS choose to sell," but "WTF didn't you?"

because:

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
calci

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

www.secondstrade.com - 190% return Binary option

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 10:26:09 PM

Why do people fear that all the auction coins will be dumped ?
I don't see it ever happening. They don't buy coins to dump.
D05GTO

Activity: 406

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 12:36:42 AM

Why do people fear that all the auction coins will be dumped ?
I don't see it ever happening. They don't buy coins to dump.

Same reason you see all the numb numbs spouting off about coin inflation and all the miners dumping.  They are not so bright.  You know that 100% of the miners do not mine them to just dump them on the market.  They will still say 3600 btc enter the market every day as a best case scenario when in truth it's only a small percentage of that entering.   

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄
    ████████████████████      ▄█▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄████████████████▀   ▄██████████

▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄     ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀                   ██
▄█████▄▀▀▀▄██████▄▀▀▀▄█████▄     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀        ▄█▄          ▀██████████████▄
████████████████████████████       ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀          ▀█▀                        ██
 ▀████████████████████████▀          ▀██▄ ▄██▀             ▀██▄ ▄██▀     ▄█▄     ▀██▄ ▄██▀                                       ██
   ▀████████████████████▀              ▀███▀                 ▀███▀       ▀█▀       ▀███▀      ▄███████████████████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║