Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 06:23:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What's most needed for Litecoin to be successful?  (Read 2343 times)
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 11:56:23 PM

BTW I am not saying Litecoin is bad or not bad. I am saying that it is not inspiring.

Please define "inspiring".

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
VelvetLeaf

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 12:24:02 AM

A busy forum with not so pussy moderators.
Someone (coblee) should make one so we don't post in this place anymore.

BTC : 1GN81dxzxyFPQsyAtdocXr5S9Mcg4wcfFG
LTC : LgmYvXsYXc4xdjsMKXJWqtagxVvioK6iaw
FC : 6dpSnKMtttUUYzaRu1EB7Lu18PBRVHU3V7
HauntingShade

Activity: 80

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 12:33:14 AM

A new forum popped-up, but it's not really succesful... LOL

Shall I try to make one? Smiley
VelvetLeaf

Activity: 98

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 12:43:31 AM

A new forum popped-up, but it's not really succesful... LOL

Shall I try to make one? Smiley

No, it won't work if it's not coblee that create it.

BTC : 1GN81dxzxyFPQsyAtdocXr5S9Mcg4wcfFG
LTC : LgmYvXsYXc4xdjsMKXJWqtagxVvioK6iaw
FC : 6dpSnKMtttUUYzaRu1EB7Lu18PBRVHU3V7
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2012, 02:06:53 AM

Litecoin needs more exchanges and liquidity to fulfill its promise to be a fantastic compliment to Bitcoin.

Right now it seems like a really good solution in search of a problem to solve.

People don't know how it fits into our monetary ecosystem.

Gold is the money of kings.

Silver is the money of gentlemen.

Copper is the money of peasants.

Debt is the money of slaves.

Bitcoin is the money of pirates.

Litecoin is the money of...err...umm...?  Drama?  Nerds?  Anon?

I'm leaning towards the bitcoin:gold::litecoin:silver syllogism.  LTC can be used for quick, small transactions while BTC stores wealth.

Hold gold, trade silver.  Hold BTC, trade LTC.  But that remains to be seen.  Can't wait to find out!

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Ilikeham

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 02:21:56 AM

There is another discussion going on elsewhere in economics indicating that BTC is probably not ideal as a micropayment system and many of the arguments against them not being suitable for micropayments have merit. It's a good read here.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=95218.0

LTC positioned as just that, a micropayment system with development for exactly that purpose may be the niche it fills. get wallets than run on every cell phone so you can buy a can of sugar water with it and that might be where it goes. Lt BTC store wealth.

Etlase2

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 03:08:25 AM

I have to wonder why people are asking or hoping for LTC to serve some purpose different from BTC when they are exactly the same thing with a few inconsequential tweaks. There is nothing about LTC that makes it better for micropayments, they use the exact same protocol.

markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2012, 03:15:15 AM
Last edit: July 28, 2012, 03:45:14 AM by markm

The theory seems to be that it makes a better "freebie" to "give" to gamers because their GPUs won't have to compete with FPGAs and ASICs, thus that they might be useful as a kind of "loyalty points" system for games.

Thus far though namecoin, devcoin. groupcoin, ixcoin and i0coin seem to be more popular with gamers, maybe because they do not require running separate mining expenses than one already pays to mine bitcoin.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
bitlane
Internet detective

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

I heart thebaron

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 03:21:14 AM

I have to wonder why people are asking or hoping for LTC to serve some purpose different from BTC when they are exactly the same thing with a few inconsequential tweaks. There is nothing about LTC that makes it better for micropayments, they use the exact same protocol.

Here's something that you may want to try....

With someone else holding a GUN TO YOUR HEAD (preferably someone who suffers from Parkinson's), you send them a 'Ransom' of sorts, to release you from the precarious situation....and will be freed upon 6 confirmations of your payment being received by the gunman.

NOW. if it was my head about to be blown off, I surely wouldn't want to stick around for an hour+ OR LONGER (all the while, GUN TO HEAD, FINGER ON TRIGGER...very shaky hands etc.) waiting for those BTC confirmations to come through.

.....just a thought.

Etlase2

Activity: 798

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 04:19:42 AM

With someone else holding a GUN TO YOUR HEAD (preferably someone who suffers from Parkinson's), you send them a 'Ransom' of sorts, to release you from the precarious situation....and will be freed upon 6 confirmations of your payment being received by the gunman.

So, not only does the gunman want your BTC, but this gunman must be well aware of the danger of you, while a gun is being held to your head, being able to 51% attack the network and reverse the transaction you are about to send right in front of him because that risk is far greater than that of someone else stumbling upon the scene for an hour or so.

NOW. if it was my head about to be blown off, I surely wouldn't want to stick around for an hour+ OR LONGER (all the while, GUN TO HEAD, FINGER ON TRIGGER...very shaky hands etc.) waiting for those BTC confirmations to come through.

.....just a thought.

I'm still waiting for the miraculous proof on how assuming equal network power that 4x LTC confirms > 1x BTC, or 24x > 6x in the case of an hour. Sounds like you just want to spew litecoin homerisms just like any bitcoiner would do.

passerby

Activity: 112

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 05:40:25 AM

.....just a thought.

So, litecoin is the coin for pathetic Bauer-style showdowns ?

mrbubl3s

Activity: 293
Merit: 261

Professional Ameteur

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 06:16:18 AM

I'll be putting up a couple little ideas of mine here http://litecoin.co/ to test out within the coming weeks. Keep an eye on it.  Wink
passerby

Activity: 112

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 07:48:06 AM

I'll be putting up a couple little ideas of mine here http://litecoin.co/ to test out within the coming weeks. Keep an eye on it.  Wink

No offense, but what exactly is that cyborg caterpillar supposed to do ?  Cheesy
mrbubl3s

Activity: 293
Merit: 261

Professional Ameteur

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 02:26:32 PM

I'll be putting up a couple little ideas of mine here http://litecoin.co/ to test out within the coming weeks. Keep an eye on it.  Wink

No offense, but what exactly is that cyborg caterpillar supposed to do ?  Cheesy

Everybody loves a cyborg caterpillar!
sd

Activity: 730
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 04:43:47 PM

LiteCoin won't be successful long term unless there is something is does better than BitCoin and that's just not the case.

A common myth is that you need to wait for a confirm for a small transaction. It's just not needed for really small purchases as the cost of performing an attack will be considerably higher than the reward of stealing the cheap item. Satoshidice doesn't wait for confirms and that appears to be robbed so infrequently that it's still profitable. Look at all the shops in the world that take credit cards, and all the ebay sellers that take paypal, they are still profitable despite chargebacks.

If you want a way to perform small transactions try this:  Settings -> Options... -> Display -> Set 'Unit to show amounts in:' to mBTC.

k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 05:09:56 PM

Litecoin is already successful as a testbed for Bitcoin.  Wink

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: