Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 01:50:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Malware infects three-quarters of the world's top banks  (Read 1031 times)
Brunic (OP)

Activity: 632
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 09:30:19 PM

http://betanews.com/2012/07/25/malware-infects-three-quarters-of-the-worlds-top-banks/

File this story in the "Who do you trust with your money?" category.

Eighteen of the top 24 banks in the world have malware problems, security firm Lookingglass says on Wednesday. Even three-year old worms that have long had patches and fixes to address them continue to infect the PCs of banks, including Conficker, found (gasp) in the IT deployments of 10 of the top 24.

So hum....yeah. Another confidence boost for the banks  Grin
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
vampire

Activity: 574

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 10:50:44 PM

Dumb users browsing internet.
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 27, 2012, 10:51:23 PM

This is irrelevant to the end user because bank deposits are normally insured by governments.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 03:52:20 AM

This is irrelevant to the end user because bank deposits are normally insured by governments.
As in - the end user pays for it.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 04:28:09 AM

I won't be surprised if some banks and other big corps continue to this day running XP and IE6 on their workstations

Large business are not used to run most up-to-date software, they move very slowly with their tech in many instances
unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 05:27:09 AM

KAKA!

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 11:24:52 AM

I won't be surprised if some banks and other big corps continue to this day running XP and IE6 on their workstations

Large business are not used to run most up-to-date software, they move very slowly with their tech in many instances
They do. My company delivers financial SaaS to banks and we have to write our web pages to work on IE7 because some clients haven't upgraded. Other clients tell us that they still use XP SP4 (as if that really matters for web-based applications that don't intend to deliver malware) and and demand that our app must still work on XP. We started charging those clients extra fees to support old JScript and CSS code.
unclemantis

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

(:firstbits => "1mantis")

View Profile
July 28, 2012, 02:01:22 PM

Not to mention ATM's still running ME, from what I hear the many of the financial sectors systems are held together by spit and wishful thinking, too many bean counters saying 'patch it up for now, we cant afford to fix it properly', rotten all the way from the roots to the tips of the branches:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/07/27/chip_and_pin_keypad_insecurity/

ATM's running ME? Which ones? The ones I have seen reboot where 2000 and XP.

PHP, Ruby, Rails, ASP, JavaScript, SQL
20+ years experience w/ Internet Technologies
Bitcoin OTC | GPG Public Key                                                                               thoughts?
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2012, 02:30:49 PM

Central banking IS malware.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: