Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 02:24:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC to USD  (Read 2427 times)
GreenFox (OP)

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 05:46:58 AM

What the best way to turn my BTCs into real money?

I've tried MtGox, but I can't seem to figure out how to move cash to my bank.  Should I just sell them through PayPal here?
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2011, 05:49:07 AM

I've tried MtGox, but I can't seem to figure out how to move cash to my bank.  Should I just sell them through PayPal here?

I think people will be glad to give you PP for them, be careful to use someone with a rep though because PP can be charged back.

If you have trouble finding someone send me a PM and I'll get money moved from my bank to PP for a small discount.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
trentzb

Activity: 406
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 05:59:46 AM

Out of curiosity, what leads you to believe BTC is not real money?
Sweft

Activity: 136
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 06:01:06 AM

Because people need to eat and the grocery store doesn't know what bitcoins are?
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 06:04:09 AM

Because people need to eat and the grocery store doesn't know what bitcoins are?

http://bitmunchies.com/
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 06:22:40 AM

The grocery store doesn't accept euros, or yen, or gold. But those are still money.

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
The_Duke

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Lead Core BitKitty Developer

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 06:23:26 AM

Isnt that what the "Withdraw Funds" button at MtGox is for?

NOT a member of the so called ''Bitcoin Foundation''. Choose Independence!

Donate to the BitKitty Foundation instead! -> 1Fd4yLneGmxRHnPi6WCMC2hAMzaWvDePF9 <-
Sweft

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 06:23:53 AM

http://bitmunchies.com/

That's nice but the vast majority of people go to the local supermarket.

Asked why bitcoin isn't considered currency, because it isnt accepted in places currencies are.  

Once wider acceptance, it will function as currency.
Sweft

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 06:29:04 AM

The grocery store doesn't accept euros, or yen, or gold. But those are still money.

Well the bank does and there is an exchange.

Sure you can argue that bitcoin has an exchange and a price discovery mechanism.  And it is true, just as you convert euros to dollars.  The ability to interchange curriencies at market discovered prices is vital to the perception of value.

The question was why do you not consider bitcoins a currency.  The simple answer is that for it to be a currency it has to have a perception of currency.
trentzb

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 06:38:31 AM

The question was why do you not consider bitcoins a currency.  The simple answer is that for it to be a currency it has to have a perception of currency.

No, I think the question was:

I didn't ask about currency, and regardless I was looking for an answer from the OP, out of curiosity.
Sweft

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 06:44:42 AM

No, I think the question was:

I didn't ask about currency, and regardless I was looking for an answer from the OP, out of curiosity.
The definitions here are ambiguous and the terms real money and currency seemingly interchangeable.

I'm not trying to be an ass,  but if you think about it there is no value to anything besides it's perception.  Various factors affect perception but in a labor theory of value we derive value in labor.  Which is a benefit of a gold backed currency and bitcoin as well, at least, over fiat. So I do see that it can possibly become real money but money is only real if people believe it to be money.
trentzb

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 06:51:44 AM

but money is only real if people believe it to be money.

ty
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: