Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 08:48:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bug Report Multibit HD 0.06Beta (Fee too low)  (Read 2636 times)
jackbox (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1024

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 05:41:30 PM

When I try to send btc Multibit is setting the fee too low. It is setting it to 0.00001". When the minimum fee should be no less than "0.0001". This lower than desired by network fee is resulting in txs taking many. many blocks to get mined. The donation I sent to Multbit took nine blocks to get mined due to this low fee. There is no way for the user to fix this fee. Please look into this and set the correct minimum fee so txs will propogate and be mined within a block or two. Thanks.

Buy a Trezor and Protect your BTC, BCH, BTG, DASH, LTC, DGB, ZEC, ETH and ETC from hackers.
If I was helpful please buy me a coffee BTC: 1DWK7vBaxcTC5Wd2nQwLGEoy8xdFVzGKLK  BTG: AWvN1iBqCUqG2tEh3XoVvRbdcGrAzfBBpW
If I was helpful please buy me a burger DGB: DLASV6CUQpGtGSyaVz5FYuu5YxZ17MoGQz
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2015, 11:32:42 AM

Hello Jackbox,

Thanks for your feedback on fees. I think you are right - they need to be adjustable.

Currently we set the fee to be 10 uBTC per KB of transaction, which is the current minimum relay fee for Bitcoin Core. Any less and Core won't relay it so your tx is dead in the water and won't propagate.

The Bitcoin network is now too busy for that minimum fee to 'guarantee' getting in the next block ot two.

We have an issue raised to provide adjustable fees which I will be working on in the Beta 7 iteration here:
https://github.com/bitcoin-solutions/multibit-hd/issues/154

(This is the next code drop).
What we are thinking of doing is having a control (probably a slider) where the user can tweak the fee per KB from:

+ 10 uBTC per KB (the current minimum relay fee)
to
+ 100 uBTC per KB (0.1 milli per KB - the fee structure you proposed)

That should cover most eventualities for the immediate future.

With Bitcoin Core 0.10 moving towards floating fees this is an area that will most likely change going forward.
Unfortunately as we don't see all the tx we don't know the 'global' fee structure being used.
Mike Hearn has proposed a design with nodes that provide fee stats that clients can query but I don't think anyone is working on implementing this at the moment.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
jackbox (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 20, 2015, 11:46:16 AM

Hello Jackbox,

Thanks for your feedback on fees. I think you are right - they need to be adjustable.

Currently we set the fee to be 10 uBTC per KB of transaction, which is the current minimum relay fee for Bitcoin Core. Any less and Core won't relay it so your tx is dead in the water and won't propagate.

The Bitcoin network is now too busy for that minimum fee to 'guarantee' getting in the next block ot two.

We have an issue raised to provide adjustable fees which I will be working on in the Beta 7 iteration here:

(This is the next code drop).
What we are thinking of doing is having a control (probably a slider) where the user can tweak the fee per KB from:

+ 10 uBTC per KB (the current minimum relay fee)
to
+ 100 uBTC per KB (0.1 milli per KB - the fee structure you proposed)

That should cover most eventualities for the immediate future.

With Bitcoin Core 0.10 moving towards floating fees this is an area that will most likely change going forward.
Unfortunately as we don't see all the tx we don't know the 'global' fee structure being used.
Mike Hearn has proposed a design with nodes that provide fee stats that clients can query but I don't think anyone is working on implementing this at the moment.

Thanks for replying. With the lower fee amount all my txs are taking nine to ten blocks to get mined. When I use the slightly higher fee with other wallets they get mined within a block or two.

Buy a Trezor and Protect your BTC, BCH, BTG, DASH, LTC, DGB, ZEC, ETH and ETC from hackers.
If I was helpful please buy me a coffee BTC: 1DWK7vBaxcTC5Wd2nQwLGEoy8xdFVzGKLK  BTG: AWvN1iBqCUqG2tEh3XoVvRbdcGrAzfBBpW
jim618
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 20, 2015, 12:25:22 PM

Sounds like when we implement it we will have to have a default value 'a bit higher' than currently.

We can work this what the default needs to be when Beta 7 comes out and see what works best.
Of course, it's a feedback loop - if everyone raises, or lowers, their fees simultaneously the miners' preference to include tx remain the same.

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
jackbox (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 20, 2015, 12:26:32 PM

Sounds like when we implement it we will have to have a default value 'a bit higher' than currently.

We can work this what the default needs to be when Beta 7 comes out and see what works best.
Of course, it's a feedback loop - if everyone raises, or lowers, their fees simultaneously the miners' preference to include tx remain the same.

I think a minimum fee of .0001 is reasonable. Not much still and miners seem to like it.

jim618
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2015, 04:39:36 PM

A screenshot of what the fee adjustment will be in 0.0.7beta is shown in this github issue:

jackbox (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 04:42:34 PM

A screenshot of what the fee adjustment will be in 0.0.7beta is shown in this github issue:

Nicely done. Can't wait to install it.  Cool

jackbox (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 04:02:31 AM

@jim618 - When will 0.0.7beta installer be available for download?

jim618
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2015, 01:09:22 PM

You can track what we do pretty closely by looking at the outstanding issues for the next release:

Here is the current list:
https://github.com/bitcoin-solutions/multibit-hd/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+milestone%3A%22Beta+7%22

Hopefully later this week.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: