Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:03:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin client and Mountain Lion OSX 10.8  (Read 3302 times)
film2240 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2012, 12:01:14 AM

Since I've been able to upgrade to Mountain Lion,I was hoping for a seamless transition from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion in terms of having apps that work 100%.Sadly this hasn't been the case for the official client.
Issues spotted that the dev team should fix soon:
1.Mountain Lion complains that the 'Bitcoin.app can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer'.Remedy to devs-Get this app signed with a developer ID
User remedy until fix is applied-Go to system preferences>Security&Privacy> and select 'Anywhere' under 'Allow applications downloaded from:' category. Users who are stuck with defaults will assume that the client is a harmful app,even when it isn't because of Gatekeeper's warnings.If the app was launched before,the warning won't appear,thankfully but still, this could alarm some inexperienced users though.
2.The client stops responding when first launched everytime in OSX 10.8-I don't know why even though the whole OS is much more responsive than Snow leopard ever was with the client (0.63).Out of all apps on my newly upgraded (OS update only) MBP (MacBook Pro),the bitcoin client is the odd one out with the most crashes,non-responding and long delays before it finally loads.
3.Maybe optimise the client for OSX 10.8 while we're at it so that it's just as responsive as the rest of the system.
4.This problem seems to affect other clients as well so an advisory to the devs of those clients may be appropriate as well.

Thank you and I hope this helps you gauge the level of compatibility of the official client on OSX 10.8 (Mountain lion) so far Smiley

[This signature is available for rent.BTC/ETH/LTC or £50 equivalent a month]

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MatthewLM
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 12:53:32 AM

Another reason for me to at least wait to decide if I want to upgrade to Mountain Lion or restore my iPhone (One of the two to upgrade my apps).

Is the OS definitely faster? I've not seen that reported elsewhere. Most new features are not useful to me and that Gatekeeper thing is just annoying no doubt.
film2240 (OP)
Legendary

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2012, 09:44:43 AM

After some initial tests,the OS does appear to be more responsive that snow Leopard on a mid 2010 MBP (which used to be sluggish).I'm not sure whether this is simply early days of using Mountain Lion or whether the OS is more optimised.

GateKeeper is something you'll have to get used to as a user and a dev (get into the habit of signing your apps so it doesn't appear to be iffy/harmful in the eyes of the OS/Apple)

I tend to experience better performance after Spotlight finishes indexing on the OS,same with Lion (which I skipped but heard about).I do occasionally get bitcoin crashing though.Maybe this can be fixed.

I can also see that most non official clients or clients of other currencies (official Litecoin client) crash far too often so it's really up to those devs to fix this soon.I'll keep that short to avoid going off-topic.

I hope this helps you with what you need to know about Mountain lion so far.

MatthewLM
Legendary

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 02:34:48 PM

Problem is issues can come up when an OS is new so it's best to wait if you want to upgrade. I think I'll really need to upgrade since it's silly not being to update both my apps and my iPhone but I might wait later on in the year for updates for any issues for both Mountain Lion and applications.
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 07:23:46 PM

I just upgraded to mountain lion and everything works fine for me perfect
film2240 (OP)
Legendary

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2012, 08:02:09 PM

Well,thats interesting gweedo because after a while,the problems are finally starting to subside (Crashes no longer happen) but the fact I still have to wait for several minutes when I can actually see the client after it's opened,tells me that perhaps things aren't fully ready for Mountain Lion.

gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 08:08:12 PM

Well,thats interesting gweedo because after a while,the problems are finally starting to subside (Crashes no longer happen) but the fact I still have to wait for several minutes when I can actually see the client after it's opened,tells me that perhaps things aren't fully ready for Mountain Lion.

I am surprised at that to cause mountain lion has some good Berkeley DB tools. Try deattaching the db in the settings, and restart the client that may help.
MatthewLM
Legendary

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 10:41:17 PM

Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm going to upgrade and I'll report back my experience with running bitcoin.
MatthewLM
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 02:14:12 PM

Bitcoin does not work at all for me on Mountain Lion. It gets stuck on "Loading block index...".

No errors in the log file, it just stalls:

Bitcoin version v0.6.3-beta (2012-06-19 16:44:55 -0400)
Default data directory /Users/matt/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin
Loading addresses...
dbenv.open LogDir=/Users/matt/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin/database ErrorFile=/Users/matt/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin/db.log
Loaded 13666 addresses
 addresses              3087ms
Loading block index...

I made an issue: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/1640
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 02:18:27 PM

mountain lions don't like open-source p2p currency

MatthewLM
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 05:24:53 PM

you may just want to try and downloading the blockchain again.

In other words, leave my computer on for at least a week, waiting for it to download?  Wink

You shouldn't need to re-download the blockchain each time you update your computer. There should be an update to bitcoin to fix whatever problem this is.
MatthewLM
Legendary

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 05:51:01 PM

Well it works now. I don't know why it stalled before but it now works fine...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: