Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:20:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New ASIC or BFL mini rig please explain?  (Read 913 times)
merve10495 (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 10:22:13 AM

Hey guys Smiley

I am the slightest bit confused.
Now I read a while ago about these BFL Mini Rigs etc and how they will change Bitmining.
Now I am reading that some new ASIC is coming out that will beat the new BFL rigs?
Is someone able to explain to a noob like me how these are more powerful and where I could purchase them?

-Regards,
Merve.

It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 10:59:30 AM

Here

http://www.butterflylabs.com/products/

The Single and the Mini Rig are FPGA devices, they are a bit expensive but their energy consumption is much lower than using GPU and they were released months ago.

and then we have the preorder list "BitForce ‘SC’ Pre Orders". These are the ASIC devices. They will be released like in october/december (at least, that's what BFL said...)
Their performance? They are ASIC, no FPGA. Look at the "Single 'SC'", for only 1299$ you buy a device wich do 40GH/s. Yes, 40GH/s, yes for only 1299$

merve10495 (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 11:00:59 AM

Yes, 40GH/s, yes for only 1299$
But doesn't that mean everyone will have more than 40Gh/s each and mean that 40Gh/s will be the same as mining on a single GPU?

JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2012, 11:14:13 AM

But doesn't that mean everyone will have more than 40Gh/s each and mean that 40Gh/s will be the same as mining on a single GPU?
Yes, that's exactly what it means. GPUs will be the new CPUs.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
joesdc

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 01:22:54 PM

The amount of Money spent on these custom rigs is much higher than on GPU's. In my opinion the real saving is in management, space, power, and cooling. The cost to return investment will be about the same minus the things previously listed.
benbit

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 30, 2012, 04:24:32 AM

So, if I'm interested in doing some small scale mining as a hobby, but still turn a profit when considering my electricity costs, and I want to spend in $500-$600 range, is my best bet right now to just get a BFL "The Single" FGPA?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: