Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 04:37:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why trust GLBSE?  (Read 1838 times)
URSAY (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 03:50:54 PM

This is not an attack.  I am a happy user.  However, something stops me from using the site more...

Why do you trust Nefario?  Why do you trust GLBSE security?

Thanks for the feedback...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
waltmarkers

Activity: 104
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 04:26:22 PM

The general risk and counterparty risk can be lessened by a few things.

1. Don't leave BTC at GLBSE. - Buy what you want and withdraw your dividends.
2. Use 2 factor auth. Seriously, turn it on.

3. GLBSE could release shareholder account info to issuers along with a selected BTC address for the shareholder, which would let any share continue to pay dividends in the event GLBSE is no more.

4. GLBSE could sign statements for each shareholder on demand, giving each user similar security.

Any "theft" of a security can be rolled back, and with limited depth of market, it's hard for a hacker to liquidate a large position.
divergenta

Activity: 162
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 04:48:32 PM

Becuase Nefario is one sexy and trustworthy biatch.  Cool
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 29, 2012, 07:43:53 PM
Last edit: July 29, 2012, 10:45:50 PM by Stephen Gornick

The general risk and counterparty risk can be lessened by a few things.

There are external risks as well.

Even though it appears there was sufficient precious metals held to back all the Liberty Dollar bills that were issued, people who held liberty dollars have not had access to the metal backing those funds ever since the FBI raided and confiscated the bullion in 2007.  
 - http://www.indianapolismonthly.com/features/Story.aspx?ID=1725808

GLBSE solely holds the information that would allow the asset issuer to continue paying dividends or would allow the proceeds from liquidation, if that occurs, to the shareholders as well.  

That information, if it were somehow be made known to the issuer in the event of a raid against GLBSE, would allow the issuer to broker share trading separately or to help make it possible to move the shares to another exchange.

I've seen some discussion addressing this situation but I don't know if there was any workable outcome either proposed or in place.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

ShireSilver

Activity: 382
Merit: 253

View Profile WWW
July 29, 2012, 08:07:31 PM

Even though it appears there was sufficient precious metals held to back all the Liberty Dollar bills that were issued, those that held liberty dollars have not had access to the metal backing those funds ever since the FBI raided and confiscated the bullion in 2007.  
 - http://www.indianapolismonthly.com/features/Story.aspx?ID=1725808

GLBSE solely holds the information that would allow the asset issuer to continue paying dividends or would allow the proceeds from liquidation, if that occurs, to the shareholders as well.  

This is exactly why I created Shire Silver, and why I continue to hope that someone develops a distributed shareholding system akin to bitcoins itself. I'd love to work on it, but I'm not quite up to speed on the tech & security yet.

Shire Silver, a better bullion that fits in your wallet. Get some, now accepting bitcoin!
sunnankar
Legendary

Activity: 1031

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 04:10:37 PM

GLBSE is probably starting to generate some decent cash flow. Thus, Nefario has a financial interest in appropriately operating the exchange because he will make mo money!

P4man

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 06:26:03 PM

GLBSE is probably starting to generate some decent cash flow. Thus, Nefario has a financial interest in appropriately operating the exchange because he will make mo money!

Im inclined to agree with this, although I applied the same reasoning to bitcoinica.

As mentioned above however, there are other risks besides Nefario trying to run off with the money. Considering the amount of money being transferred at GLSBE, I have to say the website still looks frighteningly amateurish. Looks can deceive of course, lets hope they do..

pieppiep

Activity: 1596
Merit: 502

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 06:39:47 PM

How much money is there really to run with?
When a new asset is created and is sold there is money, but the moment the asset creator redraws hit money there isn't anymore.
The only money there is to run with is the balance in the accounts.
So it looks like there is a lot, but in reality there is a lot less.
All the fees I've paid added together are more worth than my current balance.
URSAY (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 07, 2012, 06:57:11 PM

Nefario would you care to comment on this topic?   Wink
sunnankar
Legendary

Activity: 1031

View Profile WWW
August 07, 2012, 08:34:54 PM

So it looks like there is a lot, but in reality there is a lot less.
All the fees I've paid added together are more worth than my current balance.

No kidding. The capital is largely stored in the listed assets and not in the BTC balances. Nefario has a lot more to gain by increasing the quality of the service than by running off with meager BTC balances. The site is probably just now starting to cover most of its costs and provide enough cash flow for some development.

I do not think GLBSE is comparable to Bitcoinica because Bitcoinica was a flawed market maker while GLBSE does not take on that role at all.

BitcoinINV

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 08, 2012, 12:12:12 AM

Yup its like this why take a peice of the pie and leave the party, when you can take the whole pie and dance the night away!

URSAY (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 03:31:02 PM

Nefario didn't care to comment then and I'm sure he doesn't care to comment now.  Too elite for open discussion???  Reminds me of many other Bitcoin service providers in high positions.   Undecided

It's no wonder we are seeing a down market trend.  Trust is at an all time low.
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
October 29, 2012, 09:21:34 PM

Nefario didn't care to comment then and I'm sure he doesn't care to comment now.  Too elite for open discussion???  Reminds me of many other Bitcoin service providers in high positions.   Undecided

You backed the wrong horse, you got burned. Next time back the right horse.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
URSAY (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 01, 2012, 05:33:55 PM

You backed the wrong horse, you got burned. Next time back the right horse.

Your wrong.  You know nothing about my business with GLBSE.  Next time don't assume so much.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: