Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:18:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Running a node - Doing it right ?  (Read 3244 times)
Madness (OP)

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

My goal is becaming a billionaire.

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2015, 07:55:36 PM

Last time I asked what I should do etc ... to make a node
well I opened ports as asked I guess and all should be fine now , some people told me to see to the Network Traffic but not sure how to know if I'am running a node as should be or not .
So here is a picture of my Network Traffic , let me know if all good please .

~ Madness

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
redsn0w
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042

#Free market

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 07:57:22 PM

Maybe try to search your node here : https://getaddr.bitnodes.io
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2015, 07:58:53 PM

Last time I asked what I should do etc ... to make a node
well I opened ports as asked I guess and all should be fine now , some people told me to see to the Network Traffic but not sure how to know if I'am running a node as should be or not .
So here is a picture of my Network Traffic , let me know if all good please .

-picture-

~ Madness

Well its running. If you click on "peers" in the same window you can see to how many peers you are connected to and details about the connection. If you opened the ports properly there should be more than 8 connections. You can also check this under the "Information" tab.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Madness (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2015, 08:04:31 PM

@Redsn0w here is what I'am getting (that green thing) sorry because I'am hiding my IP but I like to remain annonymus .

@shorena I'am getting 28 Peers on the peers tab , also there is 28 Connections to Bitcoin Network and sometimes 29 .

~ Madness

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2015, 08:10:58 PM

@Redsn0w here is what I'am getting (that green thing) sorry because I'am hiding my IP but I like to remain annonymus .

Green = good. They offer more info about your node via (change IP accordingly):
https://getaddr.bitnodes.io/nodes/213.165.91.169-8333

@shorena I'am getting 28 Peers on the peers tab , also there is 28 Connections to Bitcoin Network and sometimes 29 .

~ Madness

Well done. Node is reachable from the outside. If you have a static IP all you need to do now is keep the machine powered and online.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Madness (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2015, 08:13:01 PM

Green = good. They offer more info about your node via (change IP accordingly):
https://getaddr.bitnodes.io/nodes/213.165.91.169-8333

~ Madness

Well done. Node is reachable from the outside. If you have a static IP all you need to do now is keep the machine powered and online.

Awesome , I guess I'am doing it right then Grin Thank you so much .
It's really nice to know that I'am the only one running a node on my country .

~ Madness

Madness (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2015, 07:12:36 AM

I left the Bitcoin COre client running all the night , when I woke up and checked on that website again , it gives me in Red the following message : " xx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8333 is unreachable." (xx represent my IP of course)

~ Madness

lyth0s
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 07:29:25 AM

I left the Bitcoin COre client running all the night , when I woke up and checked on that website again , it gives me in Red the following message : " xx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8333 is unreachable." (xx represent my IP of course)

~ Madness

Does the network data window still show traffic to/from your bitcoin node? Did your ISP change your IP address overnight? (This can happen if you have small disconnects). Do you have any data transfer caps with your ISP?

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017
Madness (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2015, 07:31:22 AM

~ Madness

Does the network data window still show traffic to/from your bitcoin node? Did your ISP change your IP address overnight? (This can happen if you have small disconnects). Do you have any data transfer caps with your ISP?

Oh , then this might be the reason indeed . I always have small disconnects sometimes yes .
What I do now ? Close & re open the wallet and all should be fine and running again ?

~ Madness

Newar
Legendary

Activity: 1358

https://gliph.me/hUF

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 07:33:00 AM

~ Madness

How many peers on the peers tab?

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
Madness (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2015, 07:34:16 AM

~ Madness

How many peers on the peers tab?

They became 8 peers now , and yesterday they were 28-29 peers .

~ MAdness

lyth0s
Legendary

Activity: 1260

World Class Cryptonaire

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 07:38:12 AM

~ Madness

Oh , then this might be the reason indeed . I always have small disconnects sometimes yes .
What I do now ? Close & re open the wallet and all should be fine and running again ?

~ Madness

Check what your IP address is http://www.whatismyip.com/ if it has changed then put that into the bitnode website and see if its up.

Monero - Truly Anonymous Digital Cash. Bitcoin Reading List 2017
Madness (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2015, 07:40:23 AM

~ Madness

~ Madness

Check what your IP address is http://www.whatismyip.com/ if it has changed then put that into the bitnode website and see if its up.

Well that won't work , it's the same IP . Since WhatisMyIP reads my IP adress , and the Bitnode website do the same thing (read my IP) and it's me who have to write it down . so both IP's match
What else I could do please ? Sad
~ Madness

Newar
Legendary

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 08:04:06 AM

[...]
~ Madness

Check your settings regarding the port in the router, firewall etc. again. I had a router before that would "forget" settings when there was a power cycle.

Another option could be your ISP started blocking it? You'd have to ask them.

OTC rating | GPG keyid 1DC91318EE785FDE | Gliph: lightning bicycle tree music | Mycelium, a swift & secure Bitcoin client for Android | LocalBitcoins
Madness (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2015, 08:24:46 AM

[...]
~ Madness

Check your settings regarding the port in the router, firewall etc. again. I had a router before that would "forget" settings when there was a power cycle.

Another option could be your ISP started blocking it? You'd have to ask them.

My ISP don't care about anything and don't block anything to be honest . they simply don't give a single shit . (that's why I love my country)
I checked again and I'am getting it green again .. I guess it was unstable or something when my modem turned off for sometime and turned on once again .. so it took time
Thanks for all your help Smiley works fine now .

~ Madness

zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2015, 12:53:03 AM

how much upstream do you have?  might want to consider using netlimiter
Madness (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2015, 07:07:46 AM

how much upstream do you have?  might want to consider using netlimiter

I have no idea what you mean to be honest .
But the node seems to work fine with that node checker website .

~ Madness

Newar
Legendary

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 07:27:28 AM

He means your upload capacity. There have been cases in the past where Bitcoin Core used all of the upload capacity of the users' Internet connection. To the point of making browsing etc. impossible.

Netlimiter is a software for Windows that allows you to limit programs to certain speeds.

Madness (OP)

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2015, 08:42:31 AM

He means your upload capacity. There have been cases in the past where Bitcoin Core used all of the upload capacity of the users' Internet connection. To the point of making browsing etc. impossible.

Netlimiter is a software for Windows that allows you to limit programs to certain speeds.

Oh i didnt knew that , thanks mate
But no all good , i can play online games and browse just fine without issues

zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2015, 02:27:08 AM

Oh i didnt knew that , thanks mate
But no all good , i can play online games and browse just fine without issues

Wait til someone on a vps or dedicated server tries to grab the blockchain from you.  =p

Well, you may be OK if you have 10Mbps + upstream.  Not so with me at 768kbps.  Netlimiter is cool to have, anyway.  So much better than using QoS on router ..
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: