Bitcoin Forum
July 02, 2024, 07:24:23 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A 100 Million dollar investment in Greece. $10/btc for each citizen. Crowdsource  (Read 2814 times)
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 10:02:21 PM

The problem with Greece is not a currency problem, Euro is a pretty strong currency.

finnile

Activity: 196
Merit: 104

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 10:10:53 PM

And accepting bitcoin as their currency won't really solve their problem

pork pie

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 10:14:20 PM

But what if all Greeks dump their 10$ Bitcoin? But it's good thing that whole country will know about Bitcoin.

There is a large number of Greeks who need money so badly they would have no choice but to immediately dump.
ALXBOB

Activity: 289
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 10:51:01 PM

100m mining farm could produce a lots of btc that could fund hi tech projects in greece

Tales from the crypto

One Wallet to Rule them All! http://coinomi.com/ Now with Shapeshift integration!
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 11:45:23 PM

The Greeks so far have been unable to pay back any of the money they've borrowed, so I'm not sure it's a solution to lend or give them some more.

How about financing a war against Greece, killing all the people, looting the whole country, stealing all antiques and selling them at luxury auctions houses in Switzerland and California? At least, this should be more profitable.

The Greeks have lied, giving incorrect data to get into the Euro zone. I don't want to help liars.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
CtrlAltBernanke420 (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 01:34:57 AM

The Greeks so far have been unable to pay back any of the money they've borrowed, so I'm not sure it's a solution to lend or give them some more.

How about financing a war against Greece, killing all the people, looting the whole country, stealing all antiques and selling them at luxury auctions houses in Switzerland and California? At least, this should be more profitable.

The Greeks have lied, giving incorrect data to get into the Euro zone. I don't want to help liars.

You don't think the ultra intelligent bankers knew this before letting them in… Bankers are so honest… The only phrase they know is "I don't recall"
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 05:10:53 AM

The problem with Greece is not a currency problem, Euro is a pretty strong currency.

Agreed. Bitcoin is not a solution for corrupt politicians. The banker-politician nexus which caused the Greek meltdown should be destroyed. Else, there is no hope for Greece.  Huh
calme

Activity: 392

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 05:26:24 AM

Greece is already such a tourism destination for Europeans that BTC adoption would not only attract Europeans on holiday.
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1304

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 10:09:33 AM

Varoufakis is a closet commie - he is as ideologically opposed to cryptos as he is to running a handout-free, clean administration that is not built on unsustainable debt

This.

Crypto would be worse than the Euro to him - instead of being able to try to bully the other people in Europe to pay their bills and give them handouts, he'd be left trying to bully math.  The authoritarians don't like sound money because they can't "secretly" inflate its value away to enrich themselves.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 10:15:00 AM

Greece is already such a tourism destination for Europeans that BTC adoption would not only attract Europeans on holiday.

How many Bitcoin users visited Vancouver, after it became the unofficial Bitcoin capital of the world? The Bitcoin scene is pretty much limited. We don't have the necessary manpower or the finances.
Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
February 24, 2015, 12:02:07 PM

But what if all Greeks dump their 10$ Bitcoin? But it's good thing that whole country will know about Bitcoin.

I was about to say the same. If you give it free, nobody is going to appreciate and will end up dumping in the open market for whatever currency which they think still holds some value. They are not going to appreciate it much less understand the meaning of holding bitcoin...Not unless you make them earn for it.

joecooin

Activity: 359

View Profile WWW
February 28, 2015, 06:59:47 AM

Won't do anything.

In case you get together 100 Mill. USD for this effort my advise would be:

- find 40.000 Bitcoiners who know their shit and who are prepared to throw in two weeks of their lifetime
- pay 2.000 USD for each of them taking a two weeks holiday in Greece (feasable on average for ppl from different continents)
- give an extra of 500 USD in XBT to each of them to give away (best way to introduce ppl to XBT is ask them to call up easywallet.org on their smartphone and just send them some and only then explain them how to use it, back it up and so on).

Send them there on the only condition that they try to talk to people about Bitcoin (and the whole thing about independence of money from banks and governments an yes, you can make a ZeusCoin if you so wish) at least two hours a day. When it fits. And in many cases it will fit.

If each of these guys would only spend two hours everyday to explain Bitcoin to other people and if they would only talk to two people each then that would be almost 15 minutes of Bitcoin talk to every Greek citizen (10 Mill.). But Bitcoiners tend to talk longer and to more people so your guess is as good as mine in regards to this math Wink.

Not that I find that a brilliant idea, I just got carried away. But then it looks even more promising than to just try to throw Bitcoin tips at people in a certain country and think that's gonna change anything.

Actually I tink that throwing money of a certain kind (which they first need to understand and which was thrown at them to make them dig into it) at people in real need is quite an insult.

Your suggestion is like if Paypal went and said: "OK 10USD free on Paypal for every Greek person and from now on you deal in your Papal-bucks and the Greek financial problem will be solved and thy shal live happily ever after!".

Maybe you better go and try to find 40.000 dedicated Bitcoiners who know their shit ...

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: