Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 01:28:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I am new but I am lost  (Read 1016 times)
letsplay (OP)

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 06:46:27 AM

So I got a few coins and they all dumped well below what I paid, this sucks so as I watch the trends and see how it works. I have only brought a few coins now and they are good coins for the idea like quit dough as they are trying to get crypto into mainstream markets and really use as a method of payment. So my question is why do coins that seem to have a real world use not get a look in yet others that pay the first in 10000X POS for a few weeks trend even though they offer nothing real world? I really like the idea of crypto but?
Anotheranonlol

Activity: 588
Merit: 504

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 07:25:18 AM

So I got a few coins and they all dumped well below what I paid, this sucks so as I watch the trends and see how it works. I have only brought a few coins now and they are good coins for the idea like quit dough as they are trying to get crypto into mainstream markets and really use as a method of payment. So my question is why do coins that seem to have a real world use not get a look in yet others that pay the first in 10000X POS for a few weeks trend even though they offer nothing real world? I really like the idea of crypto but?

These wild-west markets are in such immature stages so naturally we're still dominated by ADHD cash-grab speculators investing in re-hypothecated offerings by scammers and snake oil merchants. It's a teenage trollbox GPU miner mentality not a wall st trader one.  Majority of the projects here just attempt to recreate bitcoins network affects as a hybrid currency/commodity and have no real value proposition.Just a few gimmicks tacked on-top of  vanilla btc and minor changes to the consensus mechanism/block time/logo. I mean let's look at Novacoin for instance.. where is that going? -- nowhere. It wouldn't even have a $600k market cap if it wasn't for the fact you could trade in and out of it on btc-e. There's a price but not really a value.

Some of the investors don't know better, some have been around the block and fancy the chances at getting in and out and have made a positive return already-- no reason to stop

Long-term as the market evolves gimmick&clone coins should have reduced success once they've been tried.. tested and burned out. Nobody can make serious money by coming out with a straight litecoin clone these days, nobody can make money coming out with a country-coin- so new avenues have to be found and gradually the game gets harder. Also since most liquidity is circulating purely from BTC around all other cryptos like an air conditioner..btc itself doesn't seem to have enough fiat inflow to maintain a steadily rising price currently so it's not surprising you see sharp rises and falls rather than gradual rises on many projects

Betting on strong fundamental promise and making calculations to enter in what you deem to be undervalued projects should see you right long term. (although picking projects you feel will still be around long-term in this climate may be tricky) Short term we're still abiding by the greater fool theory. It's marginally better than gambling or penny stocks, you may well find you lose big holding genuinely promising ventures and win big on flipping shitcoins during hypes, you can just realize going against the grain of the market forces only hurts you even if you believe it to be dominated by irrationality .

mkmen

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 09:18:03 AM

@Anotheranonlol, great summary of the current state, it's refreshing to see something insightful here for once.

@letsplay, I think there are quite a few projects worth watching (hint: they are not bitcoin clones), just don't expect crazy returns in short time, this whole thing now depends on success of Bitcoin itself and will take a while.
Advisor

Activity: 32

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 09:48:20 AM

I asked some kind of question some time ago.
I've done a lot of research. Maybe you should do some research.
Tip. The harder people call; "Buy  this   ...-coin". Or; "buy now!!!
The greater the chance of a scam. So be careful and take your time!
JJB

Activity: 131

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 12:24:53 PM

Learn from your mistakes. The vast majority of people lose money on shitcoins because they don't get out early enough. Next to zero of them have any real world use so I'd just stick with bitcoin cos at least merchants and captains of industry are getting involved whereas they're not with alt coins.
erikalui
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1094

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2015, 02:31:03 PM

Bitcoin is still growing not rapidly but is still having a demand in the market as compared to altcoins. We just need to be patient and not take decisions in a haste. There are other crypto currencies that are slowly trying to prove themselves and we should just store the coins till we get a decent price for them.

letsplay (OP)

Activity: 48

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 10:06:26 PM

Lots of great answers thanks guys for the feedback.
So taking on what i have learned, will stick with coins that I like and see a use for long term and yes most coins i have lost on were loud and hyped a lot by many, I see the stupid 1000% interest coins as loud and shammy so Ill continue to slowly buy coins that have an transparent team and show real work being done etc.
I am still a fan of some coins like quit and hope they pull off the plans yet I still worry after seeing coins like uro and a few others just run and do near nothing they said they would.
dsly

Activity: 168

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 10:38:43 PM

Well the same happens with bitcoin as well Tongue . I buy, it dumps. I sell, it pumps.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: