Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 08:55:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: wordpress removes bitcoin payment option  (Read 5330 times)
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2015, 04:39:04 PM

Well I guess most of you are just too young to have actually read anything about all the studies into "options" that were done well before you were born.

Basically 3 options anyone can cope with, 5 options only those with above average intelligence can cope with and 7+ options will be too much for all but highly intelligent people to easily handle.

So when you design UI you use the 3 or 5 options "golden rule" (and avoid anything with more options unless it is for "experts only"). If you are thinking that the "file" menu in your browser has many more options then take a look again - is it divided into "menu sections"?

(and those "who doubt this" should bother to do some reading before doing their typing and take a closer look at how things they are presented with are typically divided up into groups of three or five items)

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 04:42:06 PM

I wonder what made them do this. Maybe pressure from other payment companies.

Doubt it. Bitcoin isn't that much of a threat currently.

It is simple psychology - if you have 100 options for a meal then the average person is going to take a longer longer to decide then if you have say 2 options.

Each second of indecision is likely to be a "lost sale" (i.e. moved on to another website).

I doubt it means a lost sale. They don't have 100 options, but only about 4-5 . And if you see the option, that you would like to pay through , then thats one more extra sale.

Yeah. I don't understand this psychology either. Personally I like lots of options and the most popular ones were listed at the top with bitcoin at the bottom as they usually are on other sites too. Having the option there will have likely piqued peoples interest as to what bitcoin actually is so it's disappointing on that level too.

It has a lot to do with the fact that online shoppers (even for business) aren't 100% intent on buying... They are clicking around, and
whether they will actually buy NOW, or tomorrow, or next week, or never...is very subjective and based on gut level reactions.
People buy based on emotions most of the time.  More options means more time to think about it and usually less impulse to buy.

guybrushthreepwood
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1195

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 04:42:35 PM

Well I guess most of you are just too young to have actually read anything about all the studies into "options" that were done well before you were born.

Basically 3 options anyone can cope with, 5 options only those with above average intelligence can cope with and 7+ options will be too much for all but highly intelligent people to easily handle.

So when you design UI you use the 3 or 5 options "golden rule" (and avoid anything with more options unless it is for "experts only").

(and those "who doubt this" should bother to do some reading before doing their typing)

I was going to say most people must be stupid then but it looks like they actually are. I think you've got to be pretty dense to get put off by having more options available to you, but not all 'studies' are conclusive or scientific fact.
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2015, 04:44:27 PM

I was going to say most people must be stupid then but it looks like they actually are. I think you've got to be pretty dense to get put off by having more options available to you, but not all 'studies' are conclusive or scientific fact.

The studies are *conclusive* so indeed I am talking about "scientific fact" (not my opinion - these sorts of studies have been done many times and always produced roughly the same results).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

koelen3
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1007

Sooner or later, a man who wears two faces forgets

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 04:44:52 PM

That is very bad!
We want more people to accept bitcoins not to stop them Sad
erikalui
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1094

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2015, 04:45:18 PM

I was told earlier that I could buy a wordpress blog and I was collecting money for it but now this news has come like a shocker. I dint expect this as bitcoins is doing well.  Cry

erikalui
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1094

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2015, 04:47:52 PM

That is very bad!
We want more people to accept bitcoins not to stop them Sad

Really in fact if all websites stop using bitcoins, the demand will go down and so will the price. I don't know why I am getting scared about the future of bitcoins.

cakir
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

★ BitClave ICO: 15/09/17 ★

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2015, 04:48:40 PM

I've just created an order with bitcoin.

It didn't remove bitcoin.

Ps: probably the news site tried to buy only the 2 weeks free upgrade package. (which requires credit card).

,'#██+:                 
              ,█████████████'             
            +██████████████████           
          ;██████████████████████         
         ███████:         .███████`       
        ██████               ;█████'      
      `█████                   #████#     
      ████+                     `████+    
     ████:                        ████,   
    ████:    .#              █     ████   
   ;███+     ██             ███     ████  
   ████     ███'            ███.    '███, 
  +███     #████           ,████     ████ 
  ████     █████ .+██████: █████+    `███.
 ,███     ███████████████████████     ████
 ████     ███████████████████████'    :███
 ███:    +████████████████████████     ███`
 ███     █████████████████████████`    ███+
,███     ██████████████████████████    #███
'███    '██████████████████████████    ;███
#███    ███████████████████████████    ,███
████    ███████████████████████████.   .███
████    ███████████████████████████'   .███
+███    ███████████████████████████+   :███
:███    ███████████████████████████'   +███
 ███    ███████████████████████████.   ███#
 ███.   #██████████████████████████    ███,
 ████    █████████████████████████+   `███
 '███    '████████████████████████    ████
  ███;    ███████████████████████     ███;
  ████     #████████████████████     ████ 
   ███#     .██████████████████     `███+ 
   ████`      ;██████████████       ████  
    ████         '███████#.        ████.  
    .████                         █████   
     '████                       █████    
      #████'                    █████     
       +█████`                ██████      
        ,██████:           `███████       
          ████████#;,..:+████████.        
           ,███████████████████+          
             .███████████████;            
                `+███████#,               
maurya78

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 04:54:22 PM

That really sucks - have they issued any statement on why btc is no longer accepted?

chek2fire
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1142

Intergalactic Conciliator

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 04:55:15 PM

There is no official report about this. Bitpay continue to has wordpress as pattern. And yes there is always good option to have more payment options. Is not confusing at all if you have create a clean gui. With the same opinion we must drop all the payments and keep only one like paypal or credit card to not "confusing people''
We are not all americans citizens that confusing with everything
Bitcoin is a great payment option with fast clean transactions better and safer than any paypal debit card system.

http://www.bitcoin-gr.org
4411 804B 0181 F444 ADBD 01D4 0664 00E4 37E7 228E
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2015, 04:58:09 PM

Actually the studies about UI complexity were not limited to US citizens (on average they aren't dumber than most other people despite what many people might think).

Bitcoin is a great payment option with fast clean transactions better and safer than any paypal debit card system.

I am not sure why you'd say "better" or "safer" in fact - debit cards are actually generally the best method of payment you can use today (although I wouldn't recommend using PayPal as that just adds fees).

chek2fire
Legendary

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 05:01:23 PM

Actually the studies about UI complexity were not limited to US citizens (on average they aren't dumber than most other people).

I am not sure why you'd say "better" or "safer" in fact - debit cards are actually generally the best method of payment you can use today (although I wouldn't recommend using PayPal as that just adds fees).

for "safer" than debit card ask the ppl that lost about 190 annual billion dollar in that payments

http://www.forbes.com/sites/haydnshaughnessy/2011/03/24/solving-the-190-billion-annual-fraud-scam-more-on-jumio/

You cant expect to be safer with old payment system in a new tech era. And paypal, debit card, apple pay etc is from the last century and from not a tech era. The future of payments is in blockchain and to digital crypto.

CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2015, 05:04:39 PM

for "safer" than debit card ask the ppl that lost about 190 annual billion dollar in that payments

http://www.forbes.com/sites/haydnshaughnessy/2011/03/24/solving-the-190-billion-annual-fraud-scam-more-on-jumio/

Sure you aren't confusing debit cards with credit cards (there is a big difference)?

You cant expect to be safer with old payment system in a new tech era. And paypal, debit card, apple pay etc is from the last century and from not a tech era. The future of payments is in blockchain and to digital crypto.

The current payment systems offer chargebacks which although *hated* by vendors are *loved* by customers (and so are not going to disappear).

I find it odd that Bitcoin supporters think it so great that they can end up sending funds that can never be returned to them as though that is actually of some major benefit to them (I simply don't think most people are ever going to see this benefit).

chek2fire
Legendary

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 05:07:40 PM

Sure you aren't confusing debit cards with credit cards (there is a big difference)?

The current payment systems offer chargebacks which although *hated* by vendors are *loved* by customers (and so are not going to disappear).

I really cant understand how a legendary member of that forum is so stuck in the past and in old payment systems. this is really confusing Tongue
You can really continue using your old loved payment system. Is like my grandmother continue to use only paper money for all her trading.

CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2015, 05:12:18 PM

I really cant understand how a legendary member of that forum is so stuck in the past and in old payment systems. this is really confusing Tongue
You can really continue using your old loved payment system. Is like my grandmother continue to use only paper money for all his trading.

I am not "stuck in the past" at all (if I was then why I would I have spent over 200 days of my time on this forum?).

All I am trying to point out is some "realities" that I think are often being overlooked in the enthusiasm for what I do think is an incredibly major new technology (but whose purpose at this stage is IMO not well suited to normal payments at all).

newflesh

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 05:24:47 PM

The problem is people are too busy hoarding btc than spending it. The removal of the payment option was probably from the lack of use, as more people use bitcoin I'm sure there will be a lot more sites/services accepting it.
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2015, 05:29:30 PM

The problem is people are too busy hoarding btc than spending it.

And you should ask "why is that?".

The reason is that currently BTC is a great "store of value" and also a great method for "remittance" but it isn't really a better "way of spending" at this stage at all.

Sutters Mill

Activity: 976
Merit: 575

Cryptophile at large

View Profile
February 23, 2015, 05:30:02 PM

I've just created an order with bitcoin.

It didn't remove bitcoin.

Ps: probably the news site tried to buy only the 2 weeks free upgrade package. (which requires credit card).

So is this false or not? The article seems to mentioned they removed a blog post about bitcoin or something.

Actually the studies about UI complexity were not limited to US citizens (on average they aren't dumber than most other people despite what many people might think).

Regardless of whatever nationality the studies are done it still proves that people are morons.
pawel7777
Legendary

Activity: 2478
Merit: 1584

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2015, 05:30:23 PM

I don't understand how having the option to pay in bitcoin will do them any harm. Sometimes when I pay for things I see plenty of methods to choose from which I've never heard of but usually just go for the PayPal option (uggh). I would love to pay with bitcoin but PP is the easiest thing currently but now people wont even have the option to pay in btc and will likely lose them business from bitcoiners.

It is simple psychology - if you have 100 options for a meal then the average person is going to take a longer longer to decide then if you have say 2 options.

Each second of indecision is likely to be a "lost sale" (i.e. moved on to another website).

Agree, but if 'distraction' was the reason, it would make much more sense to 'hide' bitcoin payment option, instead of removing it completely (unless they had absolutely no BTC sales). This way someone who is keen on paying in BTC would still have this option, and the rest won't be distracted.

Mozilla had such problem with their Bitcoin donation button, it's presence simply reduced the overall donation amount. Sounds strange at first but makes sense after reading analysis + explanation here:

https://fundraising.mozilla.org/bitcoin-donations-to-mozilla-17-days-in/

▄██▄▄                          ▄████
             ▄█▀   ▀▀▄▄                    ▄█▀▀   ▀█▄
            █▀         ▀▄                ▄█▀        █▄
           █▀   ▄█▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀      ▀▄   █▄
          ▄█   ▄█▀███▄▄                          █   ▀█
          █    ▀   ▀████▄   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        █   █▄
          █         ▀████████████████████████▄▄▄      ██
         ██        ▄██████████████████████████████▄    ▀█▄
        ▄█▀     ▄████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████████▄▄   ▀█▄
      ▄█▀     █████████████              ▀▀████████████▄   █▄
    ▄█▀        ▄██████████████▀▀█▄    ▄▄     █  ▀██ ▀███▄   ██
   ███▄▄     ▄███████████▀▀           ▀██▄        ▀  ▀▀     █▀
     █▀     ███████████▀                               ▄▀   ██
    █▀    ▄██████████▀                       ▄▄▄       ▀   ▄█
   █▀    ▄██████████▀           ▄▄      ▀▀████████▄         ▀██▄
  █▀    ▄███████████          ▄██▀   ▀▀█▄   ▀███████▄▄▄██▄▄   ▀██▄
 █▀     ▀▀▀▀▀▀██████         ████      ▀██▄  ▀████████   ▀▀▀    ▀█▄
▄█              ▀▀█           ████  ▄▄█▄▄███▄  ▀██████           ▀█▄
██▄▄▄▄▄                       █████  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▀████▄           ██
       ▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄                █████▄▄▄            ▀▀▀▀▀▀        ▄██
               ▀▀▀▄▄           ▀█████████████████▄▄          ▄▀▀▀
                    ▀▀▄▄         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    ▀
                        ▀
.BETFURY..
|
         ▄▄▄▄▄████▀▄▄▄
      ▄███▀▀▀█▀▀  ▄████▄
    ▄██     ▀       ▀▀███▄
  ▄██   ▄██▄    ▄█▄   ▀████▄
 ██▀    ████▀▀▀▀▀▀█     ▀███
██▀   ▄███   ███▄▄▄█▄    ▀███
██    ███  ▄█▀▀█▀▀███     ███
██    ███▄▄██ █▄█▄ ███    ██▀
██        ▀▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀     ██
██▄   ▄  ▄▄▄ ▄▄▄  ▄▄     ▄█▀
 ██▄█▀  █▄▄█ █▄  █ ▄▄   ▄██
  ███   █▄▄█ █   █▄▄█  ▄█▀
   ████▄             ▄██▀
    ▀█▀█▄▄█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▀
       ▀▀▀████▀▀▀▀
WIN REAL CRYPTO IN THE REAL DROP
JOIN $20,000,000 CRYPTODROP
|Join Fury Game
Get Free Crypto
BFG, USDT, BTC, ETH
|▄████████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
████▀▀▀▀▀██████████▀▀▀████
████▄ ▀█▄ ▀██████▀  ▄█████
██████▄ ▀█▄ ▀██▀  ▄███████
████████▄ ▀█▄   ▄█████████
██████████▄ ██ ▀██████████
█████████▀   ▀█▄ ▀████████
███████▀  ▄██▄ ▀█▄ ▀██████
█████▀  ▄██████▄ ▀█▄ ▀████
████▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄▄▄████
 ████████████████████████
▄█████████████████████▄
███████████████████████
████████████████▀▀█████
███████████▀▀▀    █████
██████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ██████
███▄     ▄█▀     ██████
██████▄ █▀      ███████
███████▌▐       ███████
████████ ▄██▄  ████████
██████████████▄████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
...PLAY...
btcxyzzz
Legendary

Activity: 888
Merit: 1000

Monero - secure, private and untraceable currency.

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2015, 05:48:29 PM

Bitcoin and Crypto in general is still a very experimental unproven currency and payment option.

BS. It's very well tested and proven.

Token Bubbles – Transforming the ICO Rating and Analysis Space.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: