Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:27:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin is too complex for the average person  (Read 6153 times)
yui

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 06:28:49 AM

I think the main two things that the average person needs to understand and that simplify things a lot in their head are:

1) The relashionship between private key and public bitcoin address.
Any random 256 bits, that is, 256 zeros and ones can be picked and the corresponding bitcoin address will be yours because everything you need to control a public bitcoin address is its private key.
2) Bitcoins only exist as virtual balances associated with a bitcoin address as a result of previous transactions related to that address that are recorded on a global ledger that is recorded and replicated in every computer node on the network.
What you need to keep and can copy to a USB, to a CD, or to a paper, or even email to yourself and friends is the private key.
To protect your private keys you need to encrypt your wallet.
Bitcoins are not created. They simply enter circulation given as a reward to those that secure the network "mining" the proof-of-work that garantees all transactions enter the global ledger in the correct order.
Understanding these things might be the hardest computer knowledge most people I've known would have mastered yet if they learn it. They wouldn't know how to copy something to CD and don't know what USB means.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rokkyroad
Legendary

Activity: 1090
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 07:03:12 AM

I don't discuss bitcoin or linux with the average person. Its not worth the hassle.

" If you have to spam and shout to justify your existence then you are a shit coin."  TaunSew
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 08:09:13 AM

Fortunately, only half of the population is average or below ... for the rest of us, there is bitcoin.

koelen3
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1007

Sooner or later, a man who wears two faces forgets

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 08:51:13 AM

Fortunately, only half of the population is average or below ... for the rest of us, there is bitcoin.

I would say seeing the today's hype in science and technology , Op's average is less then half
networthsigns

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 04:58:58 PM

Nope! that's not true!
It was complex once but now every average guy knows internet and google teaches it all easily

i remember when android was released, at that time everyone uses blackberry or symbian phone. no one understand what android offer, but then ppl start using android and even bbm was ported into android, and android got better games than symbian.

thats what will be needed for bitcoin to reach the masses.

What bitcoin really needs is the support, adoption and knowledge of the general public to it. As the given quotes stated above, Android was once an unknown technology introduced by Google and other companies but once it reached the masses, it was quickly understood and seen widespread use all around the world.

Yes! so the point here is more like that it will become more and more simple as more people start using it
networthsigns

Activity: 448

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 04:59:15 PM

Nope! that's not true!
It was complex once but now every average guy knows internet and google teaches it all easily
Said it all!
Today with google, everything becomes easy.

All hail google
noobtrader
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 07:05:44 PM

Nope! that's not true!

i remember when android was released, at that time everyone uses blackberry or symbian phone. no one understand what android offer, but then ppl start using android and even bbm was ported into android, and android got better games than symbian.

thats what will be needed for bitcoin to reach the masses.

What bitcoin really needs is the support, adoption and knowledge of the general public to it. As the given quotes stated above, Android was once an unknown technology introduced by Google and other companies but once it reached the masses, it was quickly understood and seen widespread use all around the world.

Yes! so the point here is more like that it will become more and more simple as more people start using it

and real world usage, like car/house lease which always connect to internet and when ppl send btc to the printed btc adress, then the car/house will be unlocked. also other thing like phone bill, utilities (phone/water/eletricity) they all can be made payable by bitcoin.
moving further maybe blockchain can be broadcasted by radio too ?

"...I suspect we need a better incentive for users to run nodes instead of relying solely on altruism...",  satoshi@vistomail.com
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 07:06:25 PM

Nope! that's not true!
Said it all!
Today with google, everything becomes easy.

All hail google

Not google, youtube, people tend to learn better with video tutorials than reading.
Cicero69

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 07:13:14 PM

This is true! Many of us are kinetics learners, which basically means we learn by doing! With bitcoin we must all go through the motions
of buying selling and using bitcoin to really grasp how to us it.
RedhatCAT

Activity: 123

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 05:11:31 AM

Well in order to be able to properly secure bitcoin, you will need to posses significantly above average technical skills, as well the ability to anticipate potential future attacks (if there was a 'standard' security protocol to follow then potential attackers could try to poke holes in such security protocol and steal large amounts of money from lots of people). 
KimNam

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 05:40:47 AM

yeah bitcoin is complex for new user, especially people who didn't quite understand about internet and technology
from my experience, i spent a lot time before understand how bitcoin works Sad
and it's difficult to explain that to new user. many user afraid using bitcoin for transaction if they still didn't understand it
OpenOcean

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 11:03:40 AM

Computers are too complex for average people, yet here we are using them.

People will innovate ways to make user adoption easier. They will be rewarded handsomely, and one day we'll wonder how we ever existed without it.
erre
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1205

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 11:09:59 AM

Bitcoins are really simple, just download the app and start receiving and sending money!

Credit cards are way more complex, with plastic cards and pos readers and shitty modules and hidden commissions and cloning and so...

Roll a dice FOR FREE every hour, and win up to $200 in btc ---> CLICK HERE

Tip me using the LIGHTING NETWORK! -->https://tippin.me/@Erre96344121
Icardi09

Activity: 476

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 11:18:54 AM

Bitcoins are really simple, just download the app and start receiving and sending money!

Credit cards are way more complex, with plastic cards and pos readers and shitty modules and hidden commissions and cloning and so...
agree with this one, credit card is more complex, yet many people using that for daily transaction
I hope many "average person" will try to understand bitcoin and using it for daily transaction in the future
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 02:56:15 PM

It's not that difficult at all. I provided a link to a family member to download the wallet.

And everything else was so easy (setting up, sending and receiving, etc) that he didn't ask me for help.

He had everything set up and was ready to go. He bought $50 worth of Bitcoin and got it instantly in his wallet.

It is a non tech person, if he can do it, then others can as well.
erikalui
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1094

View Profile WWW
March 01, 2015, 04:30:24 PM

It's definitely complex to understand for a common man as it is more like a virtual currency. For me, I took about 2-3 months to really find the use of bitcoins and now I have a lot more to learn about it.

Denerivery

Activity: 2

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 04:54:19 PM

Bitcoin isn't too complex. The only thing you absolutely  need to know to use Bitcoin is how to copy + paste and address, click on a bitcoin URI or scan a barcode. Most wallets now have a wizard that guides the user through creating the wallet password protecting it and backing it up.
james1408

Activity: 19

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 06:29:16 PM

Yes, I have feeling this.

It's not much easy for new users. I think it will take me a very long time to learn about BitCoin
LordSonjai

Activity: 210

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 06:30:36 PM

you have to adapt,times are changing.
kilminukas

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 06:38:24 PM

Bitcoin is too complex for the average person
What? average person does not need to know anything about it besides that he can pay with it
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: