Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 12:49:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin is too complex for the average person  (Read 6153 times)
noobtrader
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 07:02:03 PM

Bitcoin is too complex for the average person
What? average person does not need to know anything about it besides that he can pay with it

this is how average ppl end up losing bitcoin... they need to know how to backup ther wallet at least

"...I suspect we need a better incentive for users to run nodes instead of relying solely on altruism...",  satoshi@vistomail.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
jeffhuys

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 07:26:03 PM

What? average person does not need to know anything about it besides that he can pay with it

this is how average ppl end up losing bitcoin... they need to know how to backup ther wallet at least

Which could be as simple as "backing up" your CC.

redHairy

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 07:56:22 PM

the main causes to wallet problem are:
1) many ppl lost/forgot theyr password: are no longer able to login or they lost password after wallet encryption.
2) many ppl do not undertand well how to handle wallet.dat file.

galbros
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 09:11:35 PM

I think this may be true, though all you need is a smartphone, and I think they can handle that.

A bigger danger is things like "every address and its corresponding private key is on the internet" that will scare the crap out of the average person and make them think their money is not safe or will not be safe in the future.
Netnox
Legendary

Activity: 2044
Merit: 1008

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 09:57:20 PM

Try Getgems, made with the main goal of being simple to use.
coinpr0n

Activity: 910

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 10:20:47 PM

It is too complex for the average person. And beyond much cultural understanding too... if people still don't use banks in some lesser-developed countries because they don't trust them (literally) then they sure aren't going to trust their money to an app on their phone.

caga

Activity: 238

www.secondstrade.com - 190% return Binary option

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 10:31:17 PM

The only thing I don't understand about it is the price . Its 260 now, and in 10 minutes it got pumped up to here.
Hpw in the world does this happen ?

MakingMoneyHoney

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 01, 2015, 10:33:56 PM

The only thing I don't understand about it is the price . Its 260 now, and in 10 minutes it got pumped up to here.

The Wall Street Journal article that just popped up, maybe?

BIT Poised to Become Publicly Traded Bitcoin Fund
Fund has been racing against rival offering from Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss

http://www.wsj.com/articles/bitcoin-investment-trust-gets-finras-ok-to-become-public-bitcoin-fund-1425242094
jabo38
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

mining is so 2012-2013

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2015, 01:00:16 AM

the average person is what drives the world.  Bitcoiners are idiots for making a niche target that only works for and is understood by 0.001% of the world.  Until Bitcoin changes its language and gets some easy to use apps, it will continue to be a laggard.

Beliathon

Activity: 784

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2015, 02:16:45 AM

Same way it will rise to 2600 later, and 26,000 some time after that, and so on.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
noobtrader
Legendary

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 02:25:58 AM

Which could be as simple as "backing up" your CC.

Credit Card ?

how ? if I lost my CC, or i lost my pin,  i just call my bank and request another one.  what happen if i lost my bitcoin pin or wallet ? call bitcoin foundation ?

"...I suspect we need a better incentive for users to run nodes instead of relying solely on altruism...",  satoshi@vistomail.com
innocent93
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 02:53:36 AM

I agree, even the exchange can't make sure their coins is safe from the hackers, coins security will be one of the biggest problem in Bitcoin development.
zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2015, 03:09:14 AM

Anyone ever got the feeling that Bitcoin is too complex for the average person? The average person wants things as simple as possible, so when the word, Blockchain, Decentralization, etc, come into play, I feel that makes it too complicated for the average person to understand or even care.

yah, that's why I sold all mine at $8
noobtrader
Legendary

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 03:48:41 AM

Anyone ever got the feeling that Bitcoin is too complex for the average person? The average person wants things as simple as possible, so when the word, Blockchain, Decentralization, etc, come into play, I feel that makes it too complicated for the average person to understand or even care.

why sold all ?
i bought potcoin and when it price doubled i sell more than half  but not all, essentially i own free potcoin. why sell all ?

noobtrader
Legendary

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 03:49:22 AM

I agree, even the exchange can't make sure their coins is safe from the hackers, coins security will be one of the biggest problem in Bitcoin development.

i assume that next we have bank style bitcoin

zvs
Legendary

Activity: 1680

https://web.archive.org/web/*/nogleg.com

View Profile WWW
March 02, 2015, 05:10:01 AM

why sold all ?
i bought potcoin and when it price doubled i sell more than half  but not all, essentially i own free potcoin. why sell all ?

for the same reason I sold all my Xcelera (XLA), I guess
calme

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 06:16:31 AM
Last edit: March 02, 2015, 01:22:09 PM by calme

My grandma just asked me to set aside a week so that I can train her how to sign in to websites (the username and password boxes). She's been trying for weeks to figure it out. She is financially successful, has travelled from country to country and so on, but the supposed complexity of this is just terrorizing her to the core.
RedhatCAT

Activity: 123

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 06:29:39 AM

Bitcoins are really simple, just download the app and start receiving and sending money!

Credit cards are way more complex, with plastic cards and pos readers and shitty modules and hidden commissions and cloning and so...
agree with this one, credit card is more complex, yet many people using that for daily transaction
I hope many "average person" will try to understand bitcoin and using it for daily transaction in the future
Well the difference between bitcoin and credit cards in this regard is that if someone messes up the security of their credit card (eg their credit card number somehow leaks) then the issuing bank will protect them from losses, however if someone messes up the security with their bitcoin (eg their private key leaks) then their money will be gone forever.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 12:56:26 PM

It is the nature of bitcoin and every one who want to use bitcoin at large scale must understand the underlying complexity to increase the security and avoid loss

Except blockchain, there are no definite truth on internet, every truth could be a fake in user's local network segment, so there are numerous ways to do phishing or man in the middle attack on bitcoin: Fake websites, fake clients, fake identities... Users must have a good understanding about what security risks are involved in a bitcoin transaction, and that is getting harder each day when bitcoin becomes more valuable and popular

There will be security firms that specialized in handling bitcoin security, or education to increase the user's awareness of security risk

noobtrader
Legendary

View Profile
March 02, 2015, 02:06:18 PM

There will be security firms that specialized in handling bitcoin security, or education to increase the user's awareness of security risk

agree, its inevitable if the price of bitcoin will reach, say 100.000 usd per btc

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: