Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 10:01:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Suspicious trade attempt on Mycelium  (Read 2367 times)
duke1839 (OP)

Activity: 143
Merit: 104

View Profile
February 24, 2015, 07:46:34 AM

I had an ad up on Mycelium's Local Trader to buy bitcoins for cash.  Someone responded to my ad and asked me to email them a Gyft card and said that then they would release the bitcoins.  My understanding is that Local Trader is not set up for online trades and is for in person trades only.  I responded to them that they can use their bitcoins to buy a Gyft card directly and I canceled the trade.  I'm 99% sure I would have been scammed had I gone ahead with the trade.  Anyone have any similar experiences?

1839REgeNTM2b84byywinp3BjtWdEqw27x
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 2125

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
July 21, 2015, 02:08:24 PM

I had an ad up on Mycelium's Local Trader to buy bitcoins for cash.  Someone responded to my ad and asked me to email them a Gyft card and said that then they would release the bitcoins.  My understanding is that Local Trader is not set up for online trades and is for in person trades only.  I responded to them that they can use their bitcoins to buy a Gyft card directly and I canceled the trade.  I'm 99% sure I would have been scammed had I gone ahead with the trade.  Anyone have any similar experiences?

Have seen a couple like this myself and someone trying to use Western Union. No successful trades yet.

The bad thing is, I agreed to the trade before I realized these people were scammers and so when I cancel, I will get my reputation dinged. I think Mycelium could do with a tutorial mode or a popup on the 'agree' button to be sure that you have settled terms before agreeing. I know now but at the beginning is when you need good reputation. I'm just going to set up a new account and start again since I have no reputation anyway.

Derrike

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 06:14:48 AM

Why don't you just go to the digital goods section and ask there for buying bitcoins and I'm sure you will not be scammed if you will use an escrow.
Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
July 22, 2015, 02:31:10 PM

I thought mycelium is meant to be only local trader? I don't see how you can execute an online trade successfully using mycelium without being exposed to the huge risk. Better don't do it.
noel57

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 26, 2015, 08:19:17 AM

You have taken the best option by cancelling the order because you will definitely be scammed.

Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 2125

View Profile
August 01, 2015, 02:36:11 AM

Since then, I have opened a new id for the trading. I have accepted no trades (people don't seem to understand what "cash & local" means) but my rating is down to two stars (which seems to be something of a default).

At this stage, this signal-to-noise is so bad I think that any potential reward doesn't justify the risk so I'll probably turn it off.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: