Bitcoin Forum
December 17, 2017, 02:56:28 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: "All cryptography is breakable" criticism  (Read 7359 times)
anu
Legendary

Activity: 1120

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 06:17:55 AM

I apologize if this has been asked here already and I missed it (it seems obvious) - are there recent examples of cryptographic algorithms being broken in a sudden, catastrophic fashion? I see it much more likely that a "weakness" is published first, thus giving everyone some time to migrate to a new signature algo and send their coins to the new system. How hard would it be technically to enable spending of "old" ECDSA coins into the network based on a different signing algorithm?

The German enigma code. Although the adjectives "recent" and "catastrophic" are a matter of historical scope and political convictions / nationality, respectively. I suppose most people today would not call it catastrophic, but luckily.

███ █ █
███ █ █
███ █ █
███ █ █
███ █ █
███ █ █
███ █ █
███ █ █
███ █ █
███ █ █
███ █ █
███ █ █
███ █ █

█ █ ███
█ █ ███
█ █ ███
█ █ ███
█ █ ███
█ █ ███
█ █ ███
█ █ ███
█ █ ███
█ █ ███
█ █ ███
█ █ ███
█ █ ███
●  Whitepaper
●  ANN Thread
●  Reddit
●  Telegram
●  Twitter
●  Facebook

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 2044

View Profile
October 03, 2012, 07:38:41 AM

I apologize if this has been asked here already and I missed it (it seems obvious) - are there recent examples of cryptographic algorithms being broken in a sudden, catastrophic fashion? I see it much more likely that a "weakness" is published first, thus giving everyone some time to migrate to a new signature algo and send their coins to the new system.
I don't think this has ever happened to any reputable modern algorithm (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). All now-broken cryptographic algorithms that I know of were widely known to be broken long before an actual attack was successfully demonstrated.

How hard would it be technically to enable spending of "old" ECDSA coins into the network based on a different signing algorithm?
Of course it's possible to send "old algorithm" coins to an "new algorithm" address. It's already happening: compressed public keys technically function as a new algorithm, even though it's all ECDSA.

Will pretend to do unverifiable things (while actually eating an enchilada-style burrito) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.