Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:43:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: antminer s3 temp reading incorrect  (Read 2262 times)
Daza (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 12:47:55 AM

I just bought 2 s3s a few days ago and one of the temp readings is very off. It reads 1-2 degrees and is obviously not possible for the amount that it's hashing. Is there any fix to this? I already tried to update firmware from stock to latest and it made no difference. I'm concerned because its off on the hotter side, so if temps go up, it may not shut down correctly once it reaches a critical temp and also could be a fire hazard.

Also, the fans in one are spinning much faster than the other, even though they are right beside each other and running off the same PSU (1000w Dell server PSU running at 800w since it's 120v). I do notice that the temps are slightly higher in the one where the fans run faster, but only by 2-3 degrees, so I don't see why the fans should be spinning 50%+ faster than the other. Maybe ripping it apart and reapplying some better thermal paste would help? Not sure if it's worth doing.

https://i.imgur.com/5y2A6wI.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/z3is70L.jpg
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NoahWL1

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 06:07:19 PM

This happened to me when I first got my S3.  I would usually only get one reading, and sometimes just a reading of "0" on each.  However, your fans are spinning just fine and your hashrate is also good, so I wouldn't worry about it.  Mine ran fine for days until sometime, the readings just started working.  I don't know why, but they did.  It might have been because I locked myself out of the miner so I ended up resetting it with the tiny button on the front of the device.  So try that if it's really bugging you.
rkinnin

Activity: 316
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 03, 2015, 03:11:01 AM

I have a few s3's and 3+'s.  My very first s3+ shows one temp being quite hot.  I too was concerned.  But since its been running fine since last July I have tended to forget about it.  In fact, its one of my better performing miners.  :-)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: