Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:14:21 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [HIRING] Writers needed for The Bitcoin Sun  (Read 5235 times)
Garrett Burgwardt (OP)

Activity: 406
Merit: 256

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 02:38:29 PM

Hi everyone - as you may or may not know, I'm an editor for The Bitcoin Sun- I write all the articles about development news and goings on, which is something I'd like to change! I'd like to get writers signed up, and try and am aiming to have 1-2 articles freelanced at anywhere from 2-3 btc each, for roughly a page and a half to two pages of reporting on the goings on of the Development team, feature requests, community development, etc.

Essentially, I'm looking for articles that boil down the developer forum's posts into a coherent, easy to read format. Topics should be cleared with me in advance, and articles should be timely (We are a news organization, after all Wink ).

Repeat writers will get priority with their articles, and potentially a more steady job, but new writers will be subject to review and will only be paid based on quality of the article.

A good article should describe the discussion/problem, describe why it is important to regular users/miners/businesses/ etc.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
VuhNilla

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 24, 2011, 11:14:11 PM

I'm interested in helping as needed, and find myself enjoying keeping up on the "numbers of the day" as I call them. I know that I am new to the community, and as such I am qualified as low trust/ no trust, so I am willing to write a sample on a given topic, or whatever else verification you would need to show my ability to perform these duties.
Garrett Burgwardt (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 05:38:10 AM

This offer is still available, and a rather easy way to earn some BTC!

-Garrett
unilateral

Activity: 4

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 09:28:57 AM

Hey Garrett,

I'm really new to bitcoin... like hours old. I would really like to help out but I'm not super computer savvy... I do however have a lot of experience in marketing and business development. If there is any way I can help I would be game!

Brandon

Garrett Burgwardt (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2011, 06:28:57 PM

Hey Garrett,

I'm really new to bitcoin... like hours old. I would really like to help out but I'm not super computer savvy... I do however have a lot of experience in marketing and business development. If there is any way I can help I would be game!

Brandon

Go read up on pretty much anything in the development section - it's up to you to come up with an article. Approximately 2+ pages, paying anywhere from 1-3 btc, depending on quality. Be sure to check topics with me first before you start writing!
DocMitchell

Activity: 3

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 01:37:01 PM

Could you name a few topics we should write about?
Garrett Burgwardt (OP)

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 05:39:50 PM

Could you name a few topics we should write about?

Recent articles have included:

the challenge of implementing bitcoing in the physical world

state of development, ie current major bugs and new features being added in the next client

transaction fees and the difference between a protocol requirement and a client side requirement.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 06:19:11 PM

Do articles have to be biased towards the good side of Bitcoins, or would I be allowed to write honestly?

I'm interested in tackling some of the more technical/analytical write-ups.  Subjects might include "How a Deflationary Currency Would Affect You", "Mine Or Buy: What Is the Best Method for Investing In Bitcoins", "Bitcoin Predictions: Price", and "Bitcoin Predictions: Governments".  Do these sound interesting to you?

The only thing I'm unsure of is the payment.  1-3BTC isn't a whole lot.  I understand this is a startup magazine, and you only have so much coinage to spread around, but I'm just not sure if it is worth spending hours on a write-up that might pay less that minimum wage.  Is the payment negotiable at all?
Garrett Burgwardt (OP)

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 06:57:46 PM

Do articles have to be biased towards the good side of Bitcoins, or would I be allowed to write honestly?

I'm interested in tackling some of the more technical/analytical write-ups.  Subjects might include "How a Deflationary Currency Would Affect You", "Mine Or Buy: What Is the Best Method for Investing In Bitcoins", "Bitcoin Predictions: Price", and "Bitcoin Predictions: Governments".  Do these sound interesting to you?

The only thing I'm unsure of is the payment.  1-3BTC isn't a whole lot.  I understand this is a startup magazine, and you only have so much coinage to spread around, but I'm just not sure if it is worth spending hours on a write-up that might pay less that minimum wage.  Is the payment negotiable at all?

Tip: don't spend hours writing these articles Wink

It takes me /maybe/ an hour or so to write an article, and that includes research time (though to be fair, I know quite a bit about what I'm writing about to begin with).

Write honestly! Definitely better to have some journalistic integrity than to simply expound upon the virtues of bitcoin.

-Garrett
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 08:00:18 PM

Guess it's not for me then.  Wink  I couldn't write a decent 2 page article in just an hour.
RulerOf

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 08:51:19 PM

Hi everyone - as you may or may not know, I'm an editor for The Bitcoin Sun- I write all the articles about development news and goings on, which is something I'd like to change! I'd like to get writers signed up, and try and am aiming to have 1-2 articles freelanced at anywhere from 2-3 btc each, for roughly a page and a half to two pages of reporting on the goings on of the Development team, feature requests, community development, etc.

Essentially, I'm looking for articles that boil down the developer forum's posts into a coherent, easy to read format. Topics should be cleared with me in advance, and articles should be timely (We are a news organization, after all Wink ).

Repeat writers will get priority with their articles, and potentially a more steady job, but new writers will be subject to review and will only be paid based on quality of the article.

A good article should describe the discussion/problem, describe why it is important to regular users/miners/businesses/ etc.

One of my best friends is a professional blogger.  I can drop him a line if you like, but 3 BTC is likely too low on a per-article basis.  5-7 BTC would probably be more along the lines of what I can recall about the industry, but I can't be certain.  He does find bitcoin to be very intriguing, though Wink

Just let me know if that's something that interests you.
kjhd456

Activity: 24

View Profile
June 01, 2011, 11:54:24 PM

I'll do it if there's no commitment, no matter how good I am.  Wink
Where can I find the sun so I can see examples of what you're looking for.
Garrett Burgwardt (OP)

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 01:04:16 AM

I'll do it if there's no commitment, no matter how good I am.  Wink
Where can I find the sun so I can see examples of what you're looking for.

http://thebitcoinsun.com/

No commitment Wink

Coldfire117

Activity: 5

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 11:14:59 AM

I am interested Smiley.  I worked for a year for my college newspaper as a freelance journalist/photographer.  Plus, I could also write articles in Spanish, since I am also fluent in it. 
kjhd456

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 10:43:07 PM

I will proofread and edit articles for 0.5 BTC (possibly less) Per article.
I am offering this because I noticed several errors in the sun.
Garrett Burgwardt (OP)

View Profile
June 02, 2011, 10:52:56 PM

I am interested Smiley.  I worked for a year for my college newspaper as a freelance journalist/photographer.  Plus, I could also write articles in Spanish, since I am also fluent in it. 

Pick a topic, pm it to me to get it approved, then write! Works for me Smiley

Yeah our leader isn't a native speaker and neither is one of the writers, I try and catch what I can but not all of it. Maybe PM Ploum?
Garrett Burgwardt (OP)

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 12:05:38 AM

Hi Garrett, I'm really new to Bitcoin, but I'm a freelance writer in the real world and this sounds like something I'd be perfect at. I'd like to try this. I can also proofread and edit for the Sun as well. I've done some economic writing (mainly about gold and silver) so researching another, new, and exciting currency sounds awesome. Count me in (if you'll hire me)!

As with everyone else, PM me any topic you think you could write about, I'll give comments, etc, then you write and assuming it's acceptable, get paid Smiley

-Garrett
kjhd456

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 01:05:22 AM

Pick a topic, pm it to me to get it approved, then write! Works for me Smiley

Yeah our leader isn't a native speaker and neither is one of the writers, I try and catch what I can but not all of it. Maybe PM Ploum?
Ploum?
I'd be happy to point out some mistakes in a PM if that's what you mean.
AntiVigilante

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 01:26:25 AM

I am a bulldog for bitcoin.

My writing can be a bit gonzo, but I can write well.

My latest (been a lil while): http://www.presstorm.com/2011/05/senator-jay-rockefeller-the-dr-jekyll-and-mr-hyde-of-freedom/

Proposal: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=11541.msg162881#msg162881
Inception: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/296
Goal: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=12536.0
Means: Code, donations, and brutal criticism. I've got a thick skin. 1Gc3xCHAzwvTDnyMW3evBBr5qNRDN3DRpq
DarkLinkXXXX

Activity: 45

View Profile
June 03, 2011, 04:44:38 AM

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

I would be absolutely thrilled to join, Garret.

The reason this is in my interest is
#1 I need an escape from the world, like most high-schoolers.
#2 I'm a poor man.
#3 A good public profile would be nice.
#4 I maybe, just maybe, be able to get extra credit in my english class.

Please PM me if you are interested in my offer.
With anticipation, Alex Stubbins.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.11 (GNU/Linux)
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