Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:26:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reviews of wallets I've used in chronological order  (Read 2310 times)
BusyBeaverHP (OP)

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 06:04:45 AM
Last edit: February 25, 2015, 03:37:18 PM by BusyBeaverHP

Originally posted in another thread, the response was positive and I've taken the advice to create its own thread here.

Reviews of wallets I've used in chronological order:

--- --- ---

Coinbase: Started Feb 2014, after hearing from a friend about Mt. Gox's collapse. Wanted to get into bitcoins at its low point...
https://coinbase.com/signin

Good
+ Able to convert USD to BTC
+ Loads of features I haven't gotten around to fully appreciating
+ Good customer support
+ Also an exchange
+ Most trusted third-party wallet IMO

Bad
- Confusing interface, they need to improve the UI so that you're able to access similar features within one page, like security for example
- Trusted third-party. It's pretty obvious that Bitcoin's history of trusted third-parties makes a lot more sense when you add the prefix "un-" to the term. Let Coinbase be different.

Still in use?
YES, as one of the most trusted third-party wallet, an exchange, and loads of features I haven't gotten around to using, it's my go-to for purchasing large quantities of BTC.

--- --- ---

Bitcoin QT: Started Feb 2014, after hearing from a friend about Mt. Gox's collapse. I might have bought a bit high, but I did my homework and concluded that I wanted to control my own private keys. Coinbase's coins lasted about 10 minutes after they were delivered and whisked away to QT.
https://bitcoin.org/en/download

Good
+ Full node
+ Vanilla wallet, easy to understand, simple to use
+ Non-deterministic keys

Bad
- Non-deterministic keys, no HD keys
- Lacking in features
- Full node eats up a lot of computing resources

Still in use?
YES, contributing to the network and my personal transactional security is two birds with one stone.

--- --- ---

Mycelium Android: Started March 2014, wanted to trade bitcoins in person.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mycelium.wallet

Good
+ SPV wallet == minimal resource footprint
+ HD seed backup
+ Excellent, highly polished UI, simple to understand and easy to use

Bad
- Thin client with specialized servers means having to trust a relatively small set of nodes relative to the bitcoin network to relay transactions. A minor negative, nothing that would steal private keys.

Still in use?
YES, with excellent production value and ease of usage, Mycelium is my hot wallet.

--- --- ---

Circle: Started July(?) 2014, despite all the flak that Jeremy Allaire's gotten from hyping Circle and his unpopular direction on bitcoin, Circle actually opened and I wanted to try out Coinbase's potential rival.
https://www.circle.com/signin

Good
+ The USD to BTC price has been, from my experience, always cheaper than Coinbase
+ Simpler to understand UI than Coinbase
+ Instantly purchase BTC via bank-linked account (Coinbase requires a Visa credit card, which I don't have)

Bad
- Not as established or feature-loaded as Coinbase
- Trusted. Third. Party.

Still in use?
YES, I use them to insta-buy small quantities of BTC.

--- --- ---

Electrum: Started July 2014. Wanted to practice offline signatures.
https://electrum.org/

Good
+ HD seed backup
+ Easy-to-use offline signature

Bad
- Thin client with specialized servers means having to trust a relatively small set of nodes relative to the bitcoin network to relay transactions. A minor negative, nothing that would steal private keys.

Still in use?
NO, I've advanced to Armory since then. I still recommend this wallet for newbies who wants to practice offline signatures and just secure their wallets without having to play with knobs and levers... or wait several hours for the blockchain to download...

--- --- ---

Bitcoin Wallet for Android: Started September 2014, after the developers implemented PIN security.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.schildbach.wallet&hl=en

Good
+ HD wallet, though no seed backup
+ I can set the PIN as long as I wish
+ SPV that uses bitcoin nodes, unlike specialized servers like the case of Electrum or Mycelium

Bad
- I had some issues during my course of usage that the developers were responsive to, and resolved them promptly. Since they were resolved, they won't be listed here.

Still in use?
NO, after finding out back in November 2014 that this wallet created unencrypted backups on my phone for two months without my consent, I immediately dropped it and came back to Mycelium. The developers have since fixed this security mistake. I may come back to it later.

--- --- ---

Armory: Started to actually use it in December 2014. I had installed Armory since the beginning of my bitcoin adoption in Feb 2014, but avoided it due to the daunting complexity of Armory's loaded features. It wasn't until I understood more about the technicals of a bitcoin transaction that I started to remember Armory and those exact features I wanted.
https://bitcoinarmory.com/

Good
+ Full Node
+ Loaded with technical features, from good coin control, to offline signatures, to encryption security control, Armory is for bitcoiners who knows what they're doing
+ HD wallet, though no seed backup
+ Excellent encryption security

Bad
- UI could use streamlining and pop-up instructions when you hover your mouse over certain features, this would help beginners better understand and take advantage of some of the niftier features of Armory
- Full Node takes up a lot of computing resources

Still in use?
YES. Armory is my favorite desktop bank by far.

--- --- ---

AWARDS

Easiest to Use: Mycelium Android
Most Secure: Armory

--- --- ---

POSTSCRIPT

I'm adding Jace's review of Breadwallet, as it is consistent with my fellow iOS bitcoiners' and my own experience:

Breadwallet: Started using this somewhere in 2014, after Apple ceased to ban Bitcoin wallet apps on iOS. Developed by Aaron Voisine.
https://itunes.apple.com/app/breadwallet/id885251393

Good
+ Very user friendly
+ Excellent backup procedure
+ Simple and clean GUI
+ HD wallet

Bad
- Nothing significant, but it doesn't allow specifying an amount when creating payment QR to receive bitcoins (it just contains your address)

Still in use?
YES, this is by far THE best, easiest, most user friendly, accessible and robust wallet on iOS.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
deepestfear

Activity: 291
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 06:29:38 AM

I agree with most of your points though I would probably swap Armory and Electrum

Ume

Activity: 210

Finding oNlinE JoB ---=== :)

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 06:38:19 AM

AWARDS

Nice awards. I agree completely. These are my two preferred wallets! (Actually they are the only wallets I use.)

Easiest to use is blockchain(bc) they also have android and ios based app whicj is very easy to use and bc is fullt secured .

Though great review .
BusyBeaverHP (OP)

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 06:44:22 AM
Last edit: February 25, 2015, 01:10:33 PM by BusyBeaverHP

The discussion regarding Blockchain.info in the other thread:

anyone whos recommending blockchain is a bit naive.

if you dont recall all the horrible moments where most went and lost their bitcoin. amounts like 40 btc.

heres a huge list..do your homework

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2nkias/this_is_a_list_of_rbitcoin_users_who_had_their/

go with a desktop wallet 1st, then split your balance.
I cannot even begin to fathom why people would:

A. Not only use such wallet with such history of incompetence and theft, but also...
B. Recommend them to newbies who do not know any better.

Case of the blind leading the blind.
r3wt

Activity: 686
Merit: 504

always the student, never the master.

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 06:53:09 AM

Call me crazy but i'm old school. Bitcoind provides everything i need and then some.

My negative trust rating is reflective of a personal vendetta by someone on default trust.
koelen3
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1007

Sooner or later, a man who wears two faces forgets

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 08:32:44 AM

AWARDS

Never used Mycelium Android, i think i should try it!
THank you
A very good explanation
Jace

Activity: 288
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 09:06:11 AM

Easiest to use is blockchain(bc) they also have android and ios based app whicj is very easy to use and bc is fullt secured .
Strongly disagree. Their online wallet works quite OK, but the mobile wallets (iOS and especially Android) are a complete disaster. I don't know why so many people seem to consider blockchain.info's Android and iOS wallets the de facto standard, in my humble opinion they're absolutely horrible compared to e.g. Mycelium or Breadwallet.

Call me crazy but i'm old school. Bitcoind provides everything i need and then some.
Mobile payments? Easy paying while shopping online? HD wallet (so backing up once is sufficient forever, amongst other reasons)? Generating QR or payment links? Quick 'n easy sharing addresses to messaging apps, email, etc? Bitcoind might be nice if you're a linux system administrator (including the proverbial beard) and obviously a necessity to run nodes (which every Bitcoin lover should do) but you can't seriously compare its practical usability to most wallets mentioned above.

Feel free to send your life savings to 1JhrfA12dBMUhcgh85wYan6HL2uLQdB6z9
Jace

Activity: 288
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 09:10:59 AM

AWARDS

Agree, and I would like to explicitly mention Mycelium's excellent, user-friendly newbie-proof backup process. Being a HD wallet and doing the backup procedure right (interface wise) really took Bitcoin accessibility and security for Average Joe a step further.

And just like deepestfear mentioned, I might swap Armory for Electrum. They both offer excellent security features (running an offline 'vault' where you can keep your coins safe, even on a compromised system) but Electrum is easier, light weight, and somewhat more accessible.

Furthermore I also would like to highlight one more important candidate:

Breadwallet: Started using this somewhere in 2014, after Apple ceased to ban Bitcoin wallet apps on iOS. Developed by Aaron Voisine.

Good
+ Very user friendly
+ Simple and clean GUI
+ HD wallet

Bad
- Nothing significant, but it doesn't allow specifying an amount when creating payment QR to receive bitcoins (it just contains your address)

Still in use?
YES, this is by far THE best, easiest, most user friendly, accessible and robust wallet on iOS.

Feel free to send your life savings to 1JhrfA12dBMUhcgh85wYan6HL2uLQdB6z9
pokerowned
Legendary

Activity: 1279
Merit: 1051

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2015, 09:16:30 AM

why havent you used a blockchain wallet?
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 09:28:48 AM

Every wallet is, by the very definition of Bitcoin, a "blockchain wallet". But you probably mean "blockchain.info", a website that offers Bitcoin wallets and blockchain explorer services?

The blockchain.info web wallet is OK, but their apps are crap.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
BusyBeaverHP (OP)

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 12:47:59 PM

You're referring to blockchain.info's wallet?

Once again:
This is a list of /r/bitcoin users who had their bitcoins stolen from their blockchain.info wallets.
keyscore44
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1016

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 12:56:55 PM

Personal favorites are Electrum and Bitcoin Core. Even the latest Tails comes with Electrum Smiley

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
███████████████████████████
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▀▀██████
█████████▄██████ ████ ▀████
██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀███▀▄██ ███
████▀   ██████   ▀██████ ██
███ ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄ ██▄▄▄ ██
██ █████▀    ▀█████ ████ ██
██  ▀██        ███▀ ███ ███
██   ▄██▄    ▄██▄   █▀▄████
███ ▄████████████▄ ████████
████▄▀███▀▀▀▀███▀▄█████████
██████▄▄      ▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▐█▌  ▀▀████████
██████▄     ▐█▌     ▄██████
████ ▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀ ████
███    ██▀▀  ▄  ▀▀██    ███
██    ██   ▄███▄   ██    ██
████████  ███████  ████████
██    ██  ▀▀ █ ▀▀  ██    ██
███    ██▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄██    ███
████ ▄██▀▀██████▀▀▀██▄ ████
██████▀     ▐█▌     ▀██████
████████▄▄  ▐█▌  ▄▄████████
.30+  ALTCOINS AVAILABLE..
BusyBeaverHP (OP)

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 12:59:11 PM

Furthermore I also would like to highlight one more important candidate:

Good
+ Very user friendly
+ Simple and clean GUI
+ HD wallet

Bad

Still in use?
I've had consensus from my fellow iPhone bitcoiners that once Breadwallet was released back in June 2014, it was the only thing they've used on their mobile. I've had the experience of setting up Breadwallet for several other family members and found the process just as easy as Mycelium.

I've added your review as a postscript in OP, if you don't mind.

I wonder if Breadwallet's SPV uses the Bitcoin network, or is it routed through specialized servers like Mycelium and Electrum?
jougR79

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 01:10:54 PM

The online wallet Blockchain.info is very easy to use.
ebliever
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 02:08:53 PM

Yes, I'm sure the criminals who use it to steal your BTC give it two thumbs up.

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
keyscore44
Legendary

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 02:24:14 PM

Yes, I'm sure the criminals who use it to steal your BTC give it two thumbs up.

Yeah I stopped using blockchain.info after the last wallet thefts, shame because it used to be my favorite online wallet.

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Kazimir
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 03:07:33 PM

As for web wallets, I would NOT recommend these in general, it's always better to keep a wallet fully under your own control. The whole idea of Bitcoin is we don't need 3rd party middle men anymore.

But in the rare case where you still want a web wallet, I found strongcoin.com and coinpunk.com quite OK. They've both been on the market for quite a while.

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Insert coin(s): 1KazimirL9MNcnFnoosGrEkmMsbYLxPPob
keyscore44
Legendary

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 03:14:42 PM

But in the rare case where you still want a web wallet, I found strongcoin.com and coinpunk.com quite OK. They've both been on the market for quite a while.

Thanks I'll have to check them out.

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
networthsigns

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 03:16:32 PM

Haven't used Bitcoin wallet for android and Armory , they does sound interesting
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: