Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:17:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How Big Is The Impact of Dell To Bitcoin?  (Read 2904 times)
saddampbuh
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1014

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 08:59:05 AM

none whatsoever as others have said, stop thinking "merchant adoption" is going to help the price because it hasn't so far and it wont, merchants are forced to convert the btc back to fiat because they need to pay their bills and taxes in fiat, end of story

btc is useful for buying illegal shit and for holding as a get rich or lose everything gamble (the reason most of are still here if we're being honest), give me one good reason why anyone should wire money to a btc exchange to use that btc on something they could buy with their debit card, there just isn't any point

Be radical, have principles, be absolute, be that which the bourgeoisie calls an extremist: give yourself without counting or calculating, don't accept what they call ‘the reality of life' and act in such a way that you won't be accepted by that kind of ‘life', never abandon the principle of struggle.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
turvarya

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 09:21:23 AM

I am really amazed that people still don't understand how Bitpay works:

Merchants can decide to keep 0-100% of the Bitcoin they earn. There is no reason to believe that especially a company like Dell(with a lot of profit, so, they don't have to dump all BTC to pay their bills) wouldn't keep a fraction of their Bitcoin.

https://forum.bitcoin.com/
New censorship-free forum by Roger Ver. Try it out.
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 09:44:13 AM

After Dell Embraces Bitcoin In UK and Canada, what will happen to bitcoin?

Given that its only available in UK and Canada.

How can Dell's acceptance of Bitcoin affect each of us bitcoiners?

Good for adoption and acceptance, bad anytime someone makes a purchase, since Dell immediately dumps the coin for fiat.

Double-edged sword, but I'll take it for the long run.

How come you're sure that theyre going to dump it for fiat?

Because they use Coinbase as a payment processor:

https://www.coinbase.com/merchants

Payment processor in this context essentially means Bitcoin to Fiat immediately.  Which means Bitcoin sold, which means price goes down as soon as a Bitcoin gets sold for fiat.

The fact that bitcoins get sold right after dont mean price drop, since that very bitcoin had to be bought first, the price isnt affected in a negative way,
it does have positive side because it means bigger adoption, possible new users etc..
If someone is to say that dell , or any other merchant acceptance is bad for bitcoin, theyre wrong, since thats the very point of bitcoin.

cheers

If you're looking at it with consideration that Dell will sell their bitcoins instantly in a bulk than it will effect the price , as that will be dumping and no matter the increase in number of people , it will decrease the bitcoin rate by little

how can it affect the price when bitcoin had to be bought in the first place? at best it would just create more room between bid and ask price.
i buy bitcoin, buy on dell site, they sell that bitcoin, the price evens out. its a different thing if you are spending bitcoin u has earlier.

cheers
Hamuki
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 09:45:20 AM

Its good and bad..

Because there is not enough buy pressure for us to be able to accept the amount of Dell and Microsoft is dumping all the time.

foxkyu

Activity: 938

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 10:01:22 AM

i think no effect on the price
but this is good for marketing bitcoin, that dell embrace bitcoin in uk and canada
this means, other company should aware that there is another payment options is using bitcoin
koelen3
Legendary

Merit: 1007

Sooner or later, a man who wears two faces forgets

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 12:01:57 PM

Good for adoption and acceptance, bad anytime someone makes a purchase, since Dell immediately dumps the coin for fiat.

Payment processor in this context essentially means Bitcoin to Fiat immediately.  Which means Bitcoin sold, which means price goes down as soon as a Bitcoin gets sold for fiat.

The fact that bitcoins get sold right after dont mean price drop, since that very bitcoin had to be bought first, the price isnt affected in a negative way,
it does have positive side because it means bigger adoption, possible new users etc..
If someone is to say that dell , or any other merchant acceptance is bad for bitcoin, theyre wrong, since thats the very point of bitcoin.

cheers

If you're looking at it with consideration that Dell will sell their bitcoins instantly in a bulk than it will effect the price , as that will be dumping and no matter the increase in number of people , it will decrease the bitcoin rate by little

how can it affect the price when bitcoin had to be bought in the first place? at best it would just create more room between bid and ask price.
i buy bitcoin, buy on dell site, they sell that bitcoin, the price evens out. its a different thing if you are spending bitcoin u has earlier.

cheers
Okay let us suppose , there is joe and he buys certain item from his neighbourhood shop , but then the shop owner says i accept cash ,CC and BTC .
So will joe pay with cash or think NO i should pay via BTC with all the hassle of learning and doing shit
AND then there are you , knowing about bitcoin and shit , you need something from that shop , you go and you have 3 choices , you choose whatever is fine and you pay.
So Dell accepting bitcoin is more useful for people already using btc and won't put much effect on buying side
Q7

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2015, 12:19:22 PM

Probably not much for now. Else you should see the price going up. I think the effect would be more profound towards long term because if you have a company successfully integrating bitcoin to their payment system, you will see others which will follow suit and if that expands into every company accepting bitcoin, there will be quite a demand for it.

turvarya

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 12:23:16 PM

cheers

cheers
Okay let us suppose , there is joe and he buys certain item from his neighbourhood shop , but then the shop owner says i accept cash ,CC and BTC .
So will joe pay with cash or think NO i should pay via BTC with all the hassle of learning and doing shit
AND then there are you , knowing about bitcoin and shit , you need something from that shop , you go and you have 3 choices , you choose whatever is fine and you pay.
So Dell accepting bitcoin is more useful for people already using btc and won't put much effect on buying side
You really don't get it, do you?
There a two pretty obvious good things about merchants like Dell accepting Bitcoin:
1. A lot of people still think, Bitcoin is drug money. Have you heard about the Silk Road trial? That is how  a lot of people see the use of Bitcoin.
So, even when you tell them all the good things about it, they still don't see any use for it, because they don't want to do illegal stuff, so they don't even look into it. That changes when a big player like Dell accepts it, so people think: "Oh, you can also do legal stuff with this Bitcoin, maybe I can use it for something"

2. It makes the market more fluid. I haven't meet anyone, who said, he pays with Bitcoin, but doesn't buy back the amount he used. So, yes, that is the pressure on the buying side.

Your example is just plain stupid: Would Joe see, that the merchant accepts Mastercard and go through all the hassle to get one? Same thing. No, he won't just for that one purchase, but after seeing it a couple of times, he might consider going through that hassle.

uki
Legendary

Activity: 1358

cryptojunk bag holder

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 12:49:49 PM

It has zero immediate effect on price, I would say. And in the long-term, it may help to spread the adoption range. We will see further ahead what kind of news follow.
Of course, immediately it will not affect anything. I think it's despair expect the price to be affected immediately.
As despair is to expect that every single news that has Bitcoin in either title or body text would have to influence the Bitcoin price.

this space is intentionally left blank
Mr Tea

Activity: 270

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 01:26:05 PM

Coins are constantly being bought and sold at exchanges so how is there any sense in this? Are you saying bitcoin needs to be held for the price to rise? This is just some twisted logic people use because they can't find reasons for why bitcoin isn't magically rising all the time so they blame it on people selling their coins. Well what do you expect people to do? The more people that get involved the more demand their is for coins and they need to buy them from somewhere. You might as well blame the miners for selling their coins for fiat too.

ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2015, 01:44:58 PM

Coins are constantly being bought and sold at exchanges so how is there any sense in this? Are you saying bitcoin needs to be held for the price to rise? This is just some twisted logic people use because they can't find reasons for why bitcoin isn't magically rising all the time so they blame it on people selling their coins. Well what do you expect people to do? The more people that get involved the more demand their is for coins and they need to buy them from somewhere. You might as well blame the miners for selling their coins for fiat too.

Guess, you didn't catch my double-edged sword comment above...

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
Daniel91
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 02:01:11 PM

Probably not much for now. Else you should see the price going up. I think the effect would be more profound towards long term because if you have a company successfully integrating bitcoin to their payment system, you will see others which will follow suit and if that expands into every company accepting bitcoin, there will be quite a demand for it.

I agree with you.
One single company as Dell is not enough to change the negative trend right now, bit more such '' big'' companies over period of time can help bitcoin.
Many bitcoin users right now don't see ''big picture'' and reacting in fear, selling BTC in panic.
For such people, one ''positive'' news like this will not help much but more such positive news can help to change thinking of people, so that they recover their confidence in BTC.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
evansearle42

Activity: 366

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 02:25:59 PM

It affects us by dropping the price.
I disagree with this. I would say it would help increase the price over the long run as people buy bitcoin with the intention of spending it on dell computers, and then start to use it for other purposes as well
Beymond

Activity: 462

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 03:42:12 PM

Well! it will be awesome
bitgeek

Activity: 462
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 04:17:41 PM

No one buys bitcoin with fiat and pays for the computer with the newly bought bitcoin. The effect is a dump. If they offer a 10% discount for paying with bitcoin, that will be different.  Smiley
Or start paying their employees with bitcoin.

███████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████

Online.BTC.Bingo

.*500%.CASH.BACK.+.INSTANT.BONUS
..PROGRESSIVE.JACKPOT
..NO-DOWNLOAD.CLIENT

EPIC.FUN.
koelen3
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 09:18:49 AM

There a two pretty obvious good things about merchants like Dell accepting Bitcoin:
1. A lot of people still think, Bitcoin is drug money. Have you heard about the Silk Road trial? That is how  a lot of people see the use of Bitcoin.
So, even when you tell them all the good things about it, they still don't see any use for it, because they don't want to do illegal stuff, so they don't even look into it. That changes when a big player like Dell accepts it, so people think: "Oh, you can also do legal stuff with this Bitcoin, maybe I can use it for something"

2. It makes the market more fluid. I haven't meet anyone, who said, he pays with Bitcoin, but doesn't buy back the amount he used. So, yes, that is the pressure on the buying side.

Your example is just plain stupid: Would Joe see, that the merchant accepts Mastercard and go through all the hassle to get one? Same thing. No, he won't just for that one purchase, but after seeing it a couple of times, he might consider going through that hassle.

Okay i get what you're saying but what would you say about the effect of dumping by Dell Huh
turvarya

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 09:52:18 AM

Okay i get what you're saying but what would you say about the effect of dumping by Dell Huh
That is part of the market being fluid. Fluid means, that the price is more stable, since there is so much activity, that a single action wouldn't influence the market much.
In theory for every dump of Dell, there is someone refilling his coins. So, there is the same raise at supply and demand, which, in theory, means, that the price isn't affected.
I know, most people want the price to raise as quickly as possible, that is not going to happen, by the "using and refilling"-part, that happens by the "more people seeing BTC as a good/legal/usefull thing"-part.

koelen3
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 10:22:58 AM

That is part of the market being fluid. Fluid means, that the price is more stable, since there is so much activity, that a single action wouldn't influence the market much.
In theory for every dump of Dell, there is someone refilling his coins. So, there is the same raise at supply and demand, which, in theory, means, that the price isn't affected.
I know, most people want the price to raise as quickly as possible, that is not going to happen, by the "using and refilling"-part, that happens by the "more people seeing BTC as a good/legal/usefull thing"-part.

I still can't agree with you , let's just wait and see what impact does Dell have on it's value
turvarya

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 10:29:36 AM

I still can't agree with you , let's just wait and see what impact does Dell have on it's value
I don't think, you can tell, what impact Dell had on the market after some time, since Dell isn't the only player here.

I am curious about, which part do you disagree with.

koelen3
Legendary

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 10:37:15 AM

I don't think, you can tell, what impact Dell had on the market after some time, since Dell isn't the only player here.

I am curious about, which part do you disagree with.

Ammmm ...what can i say , am not that good with words.
Let us see Dell accepting BTC as a bigger image , that will bring more people and more and more people will buy using BTC but just simply Why would they?
I mean it's as simple , an average person prefers thing he is familiar with , though people already familiar to BTC will use to buy products of Dell through BTC but people who have never heard of it might not .
When i buy something online , some sites show me many options as Moneypay ,OKpay and all , i just know they are some payment method but i am just familiar with Paypal and credit card and will prefer it over them .
Though , it's all about perspective, that's how i see it
~Regards
 Koelen3
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: