Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 04:33:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I brute force a multibit password?  (Read 4460 times)
KaChingCoinDev (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 04:49:24 PM

Can I brute force a multibit password?
KaChingCoinDev (OP)

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 04:53:45 PM

Depends on how strong the password is, is it yours and you forgot it?

Yes. Password isn't very strong, 9 characters at most. I have entered over 100 times my guesses manually, now In trying to find a script...
KaChingCoinDev (OP)

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 04:57:28 PM

Yes. Password isn't very strong, 9 characters at most. I have entered over 100 times my guesses manually, now In trying to find a script...
Then sure you can bruteforce it,might take a while but if you didn't make it tough then you have a chance and keep trying to think of it, relax and focusing on it and you may just think of it while your Bruteforcer tries at it.

Okay. Can you recommend a script?
KaChingCoinDev (OP)

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 04:59:15 PM

Then sure you can bruteforce it,might take a while but if you didn't make it tough then you have a chance and keep trying to think of it, relax and focusing on it and you may just think of it while your Bruteforcer tries at it.

Okay. Can you recommend a script?
Sadly I can't I haven't used one in around 10 years so someone else will be better help.

okay, no problem!
jim618
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2015, 05:12:26 PM

https://multibit.org/en/help/v0.5/help_lostOrForgottenPassword.html would get you started

MultiBit HD   Lightweight desktop client.                    Bitcoin Solutions Ltd   Bespoke software. Consultancy.
KaChingCoinDev (OP)

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 05:13:59 PM

Thanks, I was there. I don't have a password manager...  Cry
btchris

Activity: 672
Merit: 504

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2015, 08:39:01 PM

Here's a password recovery tool that might help (open source, written in Python): https://github.com/gurnec/btcrecover

Just a warning: it may take you a bit of reading to get it up and running. The quick start is here: https://github.com/gurnec/btcrecover/blob/master/TUTORIAL.md#btcrecover-tutorial

Please take special note that it works on MultiBit .key files, not on the wallet files themselves (more details are in the Tutorial linked above).

If you have any questions about it, please feel free to ask me.

Good luck!
KaChingCoinDev (OP)

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 08:42:24 PM

Here's a password recovery tool that might help (open source, written in Python): https://github.com/gurnec/btcrecover

Just a warning: it may take you a bit of reading to get it up and running. The quick start is here: https://github.com/gurnec/btcrecover/blob/master/TUTORIAL.md#btcrecover-tutorial

Please take special note that it works on MultiBit .key files, not on the wallet files themselves (more details are in the Tutorial linked above).

Good luck!

I tried that, but it threw an error with google.protobuf, and I found how to fix it on linux, but I am running windows...
btchris

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2015, 09:14:33 PM

Good luck!

I tried that, but it threw an error with google.protobuf, and I found how to fix it on linux, but I am running windows...

I've bolded it above....

Although it is possible to use btcrecover against a MultiBit wallet file, it's much slower and it's harder to install the prerequisites on windows (I haven't even added instructions for this in the tutorial yet, but will eventually). Instead use one of your .key files, see here: https://github.com/gurnec/btcrecover/blob/master/TUTORIAL.md#finding-multibit-wallet-files
KaChingCoinDev (OP)

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 10:18:49 PM

I Just Remembered My Password!!!

Thanks!!!
btchris

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2015, 10:21:22 PM

Thanks!!!

Glad to hear it, that's always the easiest solution Cheesy
KaChingCoinDev (OP)

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 10:21:48 PM

Thanks!!!

Exactly. By the way, are you the developer of that software?
btchris

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2015, 10:35:00 PM

Thanks!!!

That depends... do you like it? Wink (yes, I am)
KaChingCoinDev (OP)

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 10:36:57 PM

Thanks!!!

Yes, I found it great. I did run into that google error, but It might have been fixed when I do a .key. I know that it would of found the password had I not remembered...

Thanks!

Also, your setup tutorial is pretty idiot-friendly  Wink
btchris

a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

View Profile WWW
February 25, 2015, 10:44:28 PM

Yes, I found it great. I did run into that google error, but It might have been fixed when I do a .key. I know that it would of found the password had I not remembered...

Thanks!

It's way too long, though... I'm thinking of breaking it up into smaller pieces so it at least doesn't seem so intimidating. Haven't decided yet. In any case, thanks for the kind words, they're much appreciated!
KaChingCoinDev (OP)

View Profile
February 25, 2015, 10:49:23 PM

Thanks!

It's way too long, though... I'm thinking of breaking it up into smaller pieces so it at least doesn't seem so intimidating. Haven't decided yet. In any case, thanks for the kind words, they're much appreciated!

No problem, It was a little long, but definitely easy to navigate.
El Emperador

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 07, 2015, 09:12:04 PM

Thanks!!!

Nice to hear it  Smiley
Anyway, I suggest to write passwords on a piece of paper to easily recover them ( and of course to store the sheet in a safe place )...

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
███████████████████████████
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▀▀██████
█████████▄██████ ████ ▀████
██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀███▀▄██ ███
████▀   ██████   ▀██████ ██
███ ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄ ██▄▄▄ ██
██ █████▀    ▀█████ ████ ██
██  ▀██        ███▀ ███ ███
██   ▄██▄    ▄██▄   █▀▄████
███ ▄████████████▄ ████████
████▄▀███▀▀▀▀███▀▄█████████
██████▄▄      ▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▐█▌  ▀▀████████
██████▄     ▐█▌     ▄██████
████ ▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀ ████
███    ██▀▀  ▄  ▀▀██    ███
██    ██   ▄███▄   ██    ██
████████  ███████  ████████
██    ██  ▀▀ █ ▀▀  ██    ██
███    ██▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄██    ███
████ ▄██▀▀██████▀▀▀██▄ ████
██████▀     ▐█▌     ▀██████
████████▄▄  ▐█▌  ▄▄████████