Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:38:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: maybe its time to stop building bitcoin web apps  (Read 3991 times)
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 08:56:48 AM

Supposedly its what the users want. Its not nice that they complain when its time to pay the bill for what they insisted on but thats users for ya I guess. They'd rather have pretty and bells and whistles and periodically lose all their money than put up with secure methods.

If you are serious, go look at Open Transactions and get an Open Transactions client installed...

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rini17

Activity: 340
Merit: 250

GO http://bitcointa.lk !!! My new nick: jurov

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 09:43:15 AM

But how will any one get a integrity in financial security if they don't make financial applications?

They could do it the way I did it, go to university, get a degree and then work in the industry for 20 years while keeping up to date, gaining certification's attending conferences, going on vendor & paid seminars.

There is no short cuts to becoming competent unfortunately.
OK, but do we actually have any web apps handling significant btc amounts developed by such competent people? Things like MPOE or satoshidice don't count, they are not full featured web apps. I am under impression that nothing (at least, nothing legit) related to btc is so profitable that 20yr-experience-professional can maintain living off it. Not even considering that he won't be working alone, there must be customer support, etc...

CoinBr.com: First online MPEx brokerage launched beta! Easy to use interface and reasonable fees. Charts for MPEx stocks: live.coinbr.com * My Blog *
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 09:45:47 AM

Oh, customer support. There is another pet peeve, making people who don't use it pay for it because some idiots need inordinate amount of hand-holding.

Would be nice to just farm that out as a pay as you go service to third parties or something, so those who dont want or need it dont end up subsidizing it for the people who will happily use up endless hours of support time...

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 09:47:01 AM

OK, but do we actually have any web apps handling significant btc amounts developed by such competent people? Things like MPOE or satoshidice don't count, they are not full featured web apps. I am under impression that nothing (at least, nothing legit) related to btc is so profitable that 20yr-experience-professional can maintain living off it. Not even considering that he won't be working alone, there must be customer support, etc...

Yep, there is only a handful of bitcoin companies that are making enough money to fund the development and on-going support/security research/so on. I don't know how much btc-e guys were making money, but I doubt that they made enough to pay for security professionals, audits etc.

Ferroh

Activity: 111
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 12:07:57 PM

Or stop holding massive amounts of client funds in a hot wallet.

+1

Giving up on web apps and running in fear is not the answer. Website software can be built to solve the problems at hand.
BitBuster

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 01:26:52 PM

If you don't have an actual security background with financial applications, don't code a fucking exchange.
To anyone who can sort of hack up some scripts and figure out the bitcoind api and decides to create an exchange, I have merely this to say:

Fuck you.

You are being childish. People are allowed to do what they like. The users are responsible for where they place their money.

They could do it the way I did it, go to university, get a degree and then work in the industry for 20 years while keeping up to date, gaining certification's attending conferences, going on vendor & paid seminars.

Competence is relative and isn't achieved the same way. Conferences and seminars (like qualifications!) are cash cows, I'm glad that you feel you have benefitted from them, personally I believe that they form part of the academic "belief" system that one is not wise unless he has a piece of paper, club tie or other affiliation to say so.

Yep, there is only a handful of bitcoin companies that are making enough money to fund the development and on-going support/security research/so on. I don't know how much btc-e guys were making money, but I doubt that they made enough to pay for security professionals, audits etc.
This is the crux of the matter. Currently, users want a cheap, fast, easy to use, highly secure service. But such service levels require sufficient funding, which isn't available to many of the startups. As the BTC market grows, so will the opportunity for decent services. (That said, many of these hacks have been down to gross incompetence/negligence and/or inside job corruption).

The infrastructure will mature at the rate that the market allows.

BB.
BitBuster

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 01:38:47 PM

Manual verification of orders.
What do you mean by this? No BTC or USD are transferred until someone sitting at a computer says so? Not exactly practical, except for perhaps transactions over a particular n threshold? A great advantage to bitcoin is that it can be automated, this should be embraced and not undermined by slow and expensive human interaction. Of course, the automation needs to be secure and sufficient algorithmic validation of orders is a must.

Most BTC exchanges have even less tools than mainstream banks to fight fraud, because they don't have unique user identification (name/personal details) and the associated risk of detection. This means that BTC exchanges need to become smarter at detection and prevention of fraud, not just hacking.

BB.
thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 02:04:28 PM

What do you mean by this? No BTC or USD are transferred until someone sitting at a computer says so? Not exactly practical, except for perhaps transactions over a particular n threshold? A great advantage to bitcoin is that it can be automated, this should be embraced and not undermined by slow and expensive human interaction. Of course, the automation needs to be secure and sufficient algorithmic validation of orders is a must.

Most BTC exchanges have even less tools than mainstream banks to fight fraud, because they don't have unique user identification (name/personal details) and the associated risk of detection. This means that BTC exchanges need to become smarter at detection and prevention of fraud, not just hacking.

BB.

Since it looks like BTC-e's hot vs cold wallet and transfer limits worked to stop loss, it does seem like some of this is already implemented.  But I'm amazed that a btc-e rep wasn't there within 10 minutes.

It would be extremely easy to code soft limits that both trigger a bedside alarm (i.e. your phone) and slow things down whenever any out-of-ordinary transfers happen.  Like trading curbs in the stock markets.  For example, if the price of any currency increases/decreases by > N%, or BTC/fiat money incoming or outgoing is N% more then the average.  Its a 10 minute confirmation time anyway so most people would not even notice that their xfer needed to be manually approved.   

Accepting disrupted sleep due to false alarms once per month might have saved btc-e 40 grand USD...

TangibleCryptography

Activity: 476

Tangible Cryptography LLC

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 02:27:02 PM
Last edit: July 31, 2012, 02:42:50 PM by TangibleCryptography

What do you mean by this? No BTC or USD are transferred until someone sitting at a computer says so? Not exactly practical, except for perhaps transactions over a particular n threshold?

Why?  Every 2-3 hours someone logs into secure terminal, manually reviews the orders and processes them.  For us many of the payout options (ACH, cashier's check, etc) require manual intervention anyways so it is an easy choice.  If you want a payout in 0.1 ms well you won't get it.  Maybe I am weird but I find letting a quarter million in customer funds to be stolen on your "watch" to be highly impractical.  

More generally it comes down to security vs speed. 

instant payouts and hundreds of thousands in a hot wallet continually at risk (are you smarter than every hacker on the planet?  at all times? 24/7? even on  bad day? when making mistakes? forever until the end of time?)
       vs
non-instant payouts and $0K in hot wallet.  

I come back to:
What does every major (say 10,000+ BTC) hack have in common?  
A massive shared online hotwallet holding user funds.  Maybe we start there.

kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 02:40:04 PM

It's all convenience versus security. I rather for an exchange to take 24 hours then to take a minute to process if it means the difference between theft and continuous operation.

BitBuster

View Profile
July 31, 2012, 06:25:03 PM

I understand what you mean but having an inflated hot wallet is not the only way to avoid human-authorised transactions. Do you not accept that the more busy an exchange becomes, with 100s/1000s transactions per minute, the caseload for each human would increase exponentially and it would be beyond the financial capabilities of the company to employ more payment authorizers?

Normal banks don't have a human authorise each transaction. Instead they employ algorithmic monitoring and identification of suspicious transactions, which can then be followed up by a human (who is far more capable in dealing with and confirming unexpected use cases, than repetitive authorisation tasks - the opposite is true for computers).

BB.
bg002h
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1463
Merit: 1047

I outlived my lifetime membership:)

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 09:53:06 PM
Last edit: August 01, 2012, 12:54:44 AM by bg002h

Why is it that "depositing" coins in an exchange requires you to transfer coins to the exchanges BTC address? I mean, why do you give them complete control over your coin before you even decide to sell? Do exchanges use all the "idle" BTC for loans and stuff and just keep enough around to handle withdrawls?

Maybe we should have to enter our private keys or transfer coins only when we place a sell BTC order...it seems to me that the exchange concept ignores some of the security features of Bitcoin in exchange for convenience and liquidity.

Hardforks aren't that hard. It’s getting others to use them that's hard.
1GCDzqmX2Cf513E8NeThNHxiYEivU1Chhe
perlboy

Activity: 80

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2012, 11:14:49 PM

But how will any one get a integrity in financial security if they don't make financial applications?

It's coming. Wink

Although I should say that I'm a 15yr-experience-professional working with another suitably experienced professional and we'll be working our way down the lower risk BTC businesses all the way to the highest ones eventually.

You're right though, difficult to maintain a living off at the moment but adoption is the key and trust is the key to adoption in my opinion.

Luckily for us, we're experienced & employed people who also want to do BTC things. Smiley

Stu

Numis Token - Numismatic Coins attached to the Ethereum network
Biza•io - Blockchain based banking software
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2012, 04:18:40 PM

Ok, I have taken the title of this thread to heart and stopped programming my web app.

The app would have made it possible to use Bitcoin at any retailer online and also all POS transactions. It would also allow texting and cell phone service anywhere via the blockchain for one Satoshi per month. I was just finishing up the code that piggybacked the mining GPU to help tell the future through a complex algorithm that could tell you what was going to happen the next day based upon a solved block.

I just did a rm -f /* on my server and have quit my job as a software engineer telling my boss that the work we are doing is pointless because it is not secure. He agreed and quit, all the way up the ladder everyone is quitting and the company is shuttering their doors.

Thank You. Advice heeded.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
Xenland
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1003

I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 04:36:37 PM

Ok, I have taken the title of this thread to heart and stopped programming my web app.

The app would have made it possible to use Bitcoin at any retailer online and also all POS transactions. It would also allow texting and cell phone service anywhere via the blockchain for one Satoshi per month. I was just finishing up the code that piggybacked the mining GPU to help tell the future through a complex algorithm that could tell you what was going to happen the next day based upon a solved block.

I just did a rm -f /* on my server and have quit my job as a software engineer telling my boss that the work we are doing is pointless because it is not secure. He agreed and quit, all the way up the ladder everyone is quitting and the company is shuttering their doors.

Thank You. Advice heeded.
Good for you! Anyone else ready to CONVERT!!!
Meatpile

Activity: 277

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 06:19:43 PM

Why is it that "depositing" coins in an exchange requires you to transfer coins to the exchanges BTC address? I mean, why do you give them complete control over your coin before you even decide to sell? Do exchanges use all the "idle" BTC for loans and stuff and just keep enough around to handle withdrawls?

Maybe we should have to enter our private keys or transfer coins only when we place a sell BTC order...it seems to me that the exchange concept ignores some of the security features of Bitcoin in exchange for convenience and liquidity.

There is software called Open Transactions, he is working on usability right now, it has everything needed to do exactly as you describe: you control your coins until the exact point of trade.

It is only a matter of time until that becomes user friendly, i hope.

Although you will still need to trust someone who holds the "cash" side of the trade. You can only trade digital for digital, so we still need "banks" that have an amount of dollars in an account.
BitBuster

View Profile
August 01, 2012, 06:46:59 PM

The fiat is held in escrow for trade, so too should the BTC. That's the fairest way. Once a trade is completed, you are free to withdraw.

BB.
ripper234
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2012, 05:26:54 AM

Make sure to the delete your backups / source control as well, otherwise it doesn't count.
Some hacker might find one of your backups and finish building the site for you ... and who knows what harm that will cause?!

Oh, and wipe all harddrives, those forensics dudes are devious.

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
bitplane

Activity: 321

Firstbits: 1gyzhw

View Profile WWW
August 02, 2012, 10:56:04 PM

I suppose what I was trying to get at is there is nothing like years of experience and training when trying to keep the shit in the bowl.

There's also nothing like years of experience when it comes to not actually doing anything because you understand how hard a problem is. Youthful ignorance on the other hand has a tendency to get things done by biting off more than it can chew and then just chewing that shit down anyway.

It's easy for old farts like you and I to sit back and criticise, but we haven't actually written an exchange. Maybe we lack the balls or the enthusiasm, maybe we're just too wise, we certainly didn't lose big. We didn't risk it all to win big, or create that awesome thing, and we didn't learn anything along the way either.
Kris
Donator

Activity: 640
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 04, 2012, 03:03:37 AM

We do.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: