Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:48:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What to do with a few bitcoins  (Read 1648 times)
stepkrav (OP)

Activity: 188
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 07:41:25 AM

not interested in donations or charities, but thank you all.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DryPowder

Activity: 144

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 04:18:00 PM

Invest you coins in mining more coins

Keep Your Powder Dry
Sherkel
aka Tombstoner

Activity: 131

View Profile
August 02, 2012, 11:09:27 PM

Invest you coins in mining more coins
At least from what I've seen, you need thousands of dollars in capital to even hope to profit from mining within a few months.

What do you get when you cross dominoes and The Matrix?
<A dominatrix!>
peasant

Activity: 272
Merit: 250

Cryptopreneur

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 12:02:36 AM

The way it's starting to rise in value i'd hold on to them for a little bit.
bitcorn

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 12:19:01 AM

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=137.0

Order as many pizzas as you can.
peasant

Activity: 272
Merit: 250

Cryptopreneur

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 03:44:07 AM

I just invested my first complete bitcoin in Hashkings lending. Now i can gain 1.9% weekly and hopefully the value keeps rising. Can't beat that if you want to be lazy.
fury0

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 12:49:39 PM

for example you can play lotto at www.btclottery.net Wink
OneEyed
aka aurele

Activity: 154

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2012, 01:08:06 PM

Please remember that day-trading is negative-sum; that is, excluding the exchange, on average people lose.

If bitcoins are considered a currency, I'm not sure this is true, as the system isn't a closed one. Some people will daytrade while others will exchange only in one direction (compared to trading dividendless shares, where the only thing you can do after buying a share is sell it back). Everyone may win, and everyone may lose (except the exchanges, which always win).

dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 04:32:47 PM

Please remember that day-trading is negative-sum; that is, excluding the exchange, on average people lose.

If bitcoins are considered a currency, I'm not sure this is true, as the system isn't a closed one. Some people will daytrade while others will exchange only in one direction (compared to trading dividendless shares, where the only thing you can do after buying a share is sell it back). Everyone may win, and everyone may lose (except the exchanges, which always win).
If the one-direction traders are included, it is definitely negative-sum. The speculators can only win if the one-direction traders lose.
OneEyed
aka aurele

Activity: 154

View Profile WWW
August 03, 2012, 06:46:49 PM

If the one-direction traders are included, it is definitely negative-sum. The speculators can only win if the one-direction traders lose.

Why? Let's assume I have € and I want to buy something in $ because it is cheaper (quite a common scenario, when hardware vendors tend to sell something at $99.99 in the US and 99.99€ in Europe, when 1€ = $1.3), even when I include the currency exchange fees.

In the end, I may be very happy and have made a good deal by having exchanged my € for $, while the person doing the reverse transaction may be happy because he made a good deal in selling his $ for € at a better rate than in bought the $ initially. This is a win-win, both for me and for the speculator.

Why is that so? Because the hardware vendor is not included in the loop, he does not explicitely use an exchange. He will use the $ to pay his employees in the US, and the € to pay his employees in Europe. He may convert some $ to € or some € to $, but that would be small fraction of what he earns.

dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 06:54:21 PM

Why? Let's assume I have € and I want to buy something in $ because it is cheaper (quite a common scenario, when hardware vendors tend to sell something at $99.99 in the US and 99.99€ in Europe, when 1€ = $1.3), even when I include the currency exchange fees.

In the end, I may be very happy and have made a good deal by having exchanged my € for $, while the person doing the reverse transaction may be happy because he made a good deal in selling his $ for € at a better rate than in bought the $ initially. This is a win-win, both for me and for the speculator.

Why is that so? Because the hardware vendor is not included in the loop, he does not explicitely use an exchange. He will use the $ to pay his employees in the US, and the € to pay his employees in Europe. He may convert some $ to € or some € to $, but that would be small fraction of what he earns.
Okay, so I guess I failed to include the relative utility of different currencies to different people. In that case, trading may not be negative sum. So effectively, one is trading currency at a premium because one currency is worth more to him than others.

In that case, you're right: trading is not necessarily negative-sum.
deeplink

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

In cryptography we trust

View Profile
August 03, 2012, 07:31:58 PM

Let's assume I have € and I want to buy something in $ because it is cheaper (quite a common scenario, when hardware vendors tend to sell something at $99.99 in the US and 99.99€ in Europe, when 1€ = $1.3), even when I include the currency exchange fees.

Well and that will solve itself soon enough as EUR will be at parity with USD or even below (already 1€ = $1.2 seems more accurate)
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: