Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:04:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitstamp Volume Update  (Read 3085 times)
BitCoinNutJob (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 04:36:27 AM

Bitstamp volume update = a big holy crap its dropped a ton.  They must be firing people if that decline keeps going.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Nagle
Legendary

Activity: 1204

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2015, 07:03:27 AM

BTCChina doesn't charge any fees for transactions within their exchange, but they do charge for withdrawals. So they have a huge volume of internal transactions.
readysalted89

Activity: 327
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 10:09:54 AM

Bitstamp promised to do regular audits to prove they hold the number of bitcoins they claim to have. They did an audit before the hack, but I don't think they have done one since, despite plenty of requests for an audit. How can people trust them unless they prove they are not operating a fractional reserve like Mt Gox?
uki
Legendary

Activity: 1358

cryptojunk bag holder

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 10:49:22 AM

Aren't all exchanges dropping in their total volume traded the past one month ? But yeah a drop from about 10K to 4K does sound like a big one.
that is true. It is a general trend in all exchanges as of lately.

this space is intentionally left blank
MatTheCat

Activity: 840

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 11:11:19 AM

Bitstamp volume update = a big holy crap its dropped a ton.  They must be firing people if that decline keeps going.

Bitstamp was the first exchange I registered with and I have done tens of thousands of dollars worth of business there.

Then they started interrogating me about the contents of my anal passage........so I don't use Bitstamp anymore.

Just transferred a few thousand €uros to Kraken. Bitstamp is dead to me now.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
randy8777
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 11:43:18 AM

chinese exchanges will soon take over an ever higher percentage of the total volume.
inca
Legendary

Activity: 1176

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 11:46:09 AM

chinese exchanges will soon take over an ever higher percentage of the total volume.

If you mean fake volume then sure..
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 02:23:34 PM
Last edit: February 26, 2015, 02:36:49 PM by 1Referee

No surprise at all.

Bitstamp lost quite a bit of its large traders due to the hack.

Even before that, large traders were moving their stash away to exchanges with larger volumes.

No matter how much I like Bitstamp, it was and will always stay an exchange that follows other exchanges.

Bitfinex seems to do a better job in satisfying their customers it seems. It's growing and growing.
HarmonLi

Activity: 350

Honest 80s business!

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 02:31:43 PM

Well the relative volume on Bitstamp definitely has gone down quite a bit but that was to be expected after the incident in January. If they come through with an audit or something similar they may very well be recouping a lot of their previous trust, though!

Q7

Activity: 448

View Profile WWW
February 26, 2015, 03:09:59 PM

Aren't all exchanges dropping in their total volume traded the past one month ? But yeah a drop from about 10K to 4K does sound like a big one.

I think a better way to find out is by looking at the drop across all boards and then compare them individually. But seriously if an exchanger was hacked and there wasn't any follow-up audit, people will start to lose confidence. I mean who would be willing to take such a risk.

umairsaleem

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 03:17:59 PM

Ridiculously, the BTCC with half of market volume doesn't has the pricing rights.
readysalted89

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 07:27:24 PM

Ridiculously, the BTCC with half of market volume doesn't has the pricing rights.

There were rumors that BTCC's volume was mostly fake. Has it ever been audited to prove they really have that much volume? If there are no trading fees they could keep buying and selling to themselves to make it appear they have massive volume.
FUR11

Activity: 378

FURring bitcoin up since 1762

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 08:56:12 PM

Well actually I do like BitStamp. They seem like and honest and clean exchange so it was quite upsetting when they went dark. I always believed they would pull through, and they did! But they have to do an audit in order to regain their trustworthiness, that's for sure!

ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 09:59:23 PM

Well actually I do like BitStamp. They seem like and honest and clean exchange so it was quite upsetting when they went dark. I always believed they would pull through, and they did! But they have to do an audit in order to regain their trustworthiness, that's for sure!

Am i the only one thats using btc-e here? First used in 2011 and im still there today, never had a single problem that hasnt been resolved in a timely manner..
Thats why im surprised bitstamp even had a chance to deal with kinds of volume they had.
Is there any particular reason you used bitstamp over existing exchangers ?

cheers
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 10:25:45 PM

...Just transferred a few thousand €uros to Kraken...

Shocked

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
readysalted89

View Profile
February 26, 2015, 10:36:37 PM

Am i the only one thats using btc-e here? First used in 2011 and im still there today, never had a single problem that hasnt been resolved in a timely manner..
Thats why im surprised bitstamp even had a chance to deal with kinds of volume they had.

cheers

What bothers me about btc-e is nobody knows who they are. If anything goes wrong nobody knows who to complain to. They have been trustworthy until now, but they could disappear with the bitcoins any time they want.
ajareselde
Legendary

Activity: 1722

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 12:50:44 AM

cheers

What bothers me about btc-e is nobody knows who they are. If anything goes wrong nobody knows who to complain to. They have been trustworthy until now, but they could disappear with the bitcoins any time they want.

Yes, its a bit non transparent ownership, and i hope that changes if they deliver what they promised :
"The company plans to soon begin to publish publicly available statements certified by external auditors." cut from https://btc-e.com/news/199

To be honest they had me when they paid full loss on liberty reserve deposit exploit, when they rolled back all trades on their expense.

cheers
MatTheCat

Activity: 840

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 01:37:49 AM

Shocked

Yep.

My position on Bitcoin at the moment is that it might stagnate a bit further, it might grind down a bit further from here, but in the medium term I like Bitcoin at least up until the $400 range....might take a few months to get there....having said that, I am noticing that shorts on Bitfinex are back piling up to near ATHs, without the price really pushing down so much. Those are ripe conditions for a nasty short squeeze should some considerable buying pressure come to market....so who knows...maybe we will get a spike up but I suspect the general character of Bitcoin in the short-medium term will be grinding, and mostly grinding up the way.

So I am going to take a modest position tomorrow when my dosh lands on Kraken, whatever the price, and just sit and hold it until the market does what I know it will eventually do (that means NO TARDING).

If my Bitcoin tarding history was littered with cases of me holding out for 'what I knew the market was going to do', then I would be a rich man.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
hyphymikey

Activity: 784

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 02:24:16 AM

Bitstamp volume drops as soon as the downward pressure stopped. Why you ask? It was where all the goxcoins were being sold. I am glad they now have such little volume.
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
February 27, 2015, 10:03:27 PM

Shocked

Yep.

My position on Bitcoin at the moment is that it might stagnate a bit further, it might grind down a bit further from here, but in the medium term I like Bitcoin at least up until the $400 range....might take a few months to get there....having said that, I am noticing that shorts on Bitfinex are back piling up to near ATHs, without the price really pushing down so much. Those are ripe conditions for a nasty short squeeze should some considerable buying pressure come to market....so who knows...maybe we will get a spike up but I suspect the general character of Bitcoin in the short-medium term will be grinding, and mostly grinding up the way.

So I am going to take a modest position tomorrow when my dosh lands on Kraken, whatever the price, and just sit and hold it until the market does what I know it will eventually do (that means NO TARDING).

If my Bitcoin tarding history was littered with cases of me holding out for 'what I knew the market was going to do', then I would be a rich man.

I can't disagree at all. Especially no Tarding!

Just so happens I did the same thing the other day ( €€€s to kraken). Bit annoyed it popped today, and that it takes so long for funds to arrive, but thats the game Smiley

Also bunged a few k bitstamp's way. In an ironic twist, it's easier to get business account validated on stamp, than it is on kraken! (though tbf both require liberal amounts of vaseline) So I'm gonna stick with them for the company trades!

I think you are right though its going to be a very long and bumpy road, the likes of which nobody has seen before, or is really expecting. I think in 2025 on 10y chart it will look obvious what one *should* have done, but I expect some serious shenanigans on the way there that will make it really hard to actually do it. (it will make the $15 -> $1200 -> $160 look like the teacup ride).

Or it will all go to shit. Can't ever forget that part Wink

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: